“Nom nom nom!”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Kingsport, Tennessee, United States
“Nom nom nom!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

The inside of this restaurant is small, but it becomes clear that the owners were more concerned with focusing on the quality of their food, and they definitely nailed it! It's hard to find a place where the sides are as good as the main dish, but you will find that here. My food was ready and waiting for me before my card cleared, and they carried it to the table for me. Great place to eat!!

1 Thank Myron H

Colonial Heights, Tennessee
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great BBQ”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Some of the best BBQ around, Owner was nice and service was friendly. The price was a bit expensive but the food was well worth it. The Blueberry Dream is a good dessert.

• Visited July 2013
Tampa, Florida
“Great BBQ”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We found this place by accident. What a great find! I had the pulled port sandwich. It was full of meat and cooked just right. Very good service and nice folks. I can't wait to stop again.

Jonesborough, Tennessee, United States
“Not usually a BBQ fan, but can we go to Phil's for lunch?”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

OK--so you can tell by the title and the rating that I am going to rave about this place. Before I ate at Phil's, if you asked me where I wanted to go to dinner, I NEVER chose a barbecue place. This pretty much amounts to culinary blasphemy in East Tennessee, since there are so many good barbecue places around. But I just don't love BBQ the way most people around me do. Up to now, this has been an annoyance to friends and family, who all want to go out for some "good Tennessee BBQ." Phil's to the rescue!

The BBQ is the main attraction, of course, and the praise it has garnered since Phil opened the pit is well-deserved. The meat is moist and tender without being greasy. Phil smokes the meat himself, on site. It's delicious just "as is." Phil serves it to you sans the sauce; you get to put your own on, and there are choices. I like to mix them. The menu is limited--in a good way--so that everything you get is really fresh and really good. The sides are all freshly made, and all the classics are there: slaw, chips, potato salad, etc. They'll happily honor your personal taste. You can order up your sandwich or platter as you like it--no eye rolls from the employees will follow. They seem to want you to be happy.

The place is always packed, especially for lunch, but they have a system that lets them serve everyone in a reasonable amount of time. When I last went for lunch, there was a line that reached to the front door (about 25 or 30 people ahead of us), but we had our order in hand in less than 15 minutes and were happily munching away.

I read the review that suggests going to Ridgewood's, and I respectfully disagree. Ridgewood's is good, and everyone should go once, just for a point of comparison. But at Phil's there's no ridiculously long line and there's really friendly service. (The word "surly" comes to mind when I think of former visits to Ridgewood's.) Phil's has reasonable hours and is a great value.

These days, I even ask to go eat barbecue--if we can go to Phil's.

Oviedo, Florida
“Best brisket anywhere!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Phil's is THE small BBQ joint! As proof, the walls are filled with awards and each table comes with a big roll of paper towels. All items are delicious including the sides, and their brisket - Oh my! It's the best I ever put in my mouth!

• Visited July 2013