“A wonderful escape”

Hotel Restaurant Hammer
Ranked #1 of 1 Eigenthal B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We spent 4D3N and shame that we can't stay any longer! After having an awful experience with Double Tree Hilton Amsterdam (horrible service, lousy bed etc ) before we reached Lucerne, Hotel Hammer was like a heaven to us!

Wonderful for an escape from hectic city life. Away from the city means little inconvenience but trade off with nice scenery and fresh air! Spend a little more to get a suite, spacious room and better view. (Cow bell afar were our alarm clock, wonderful right?)

Unlike big chain hotels, where guests are just a number, here you will feel like home. Nice room (although not sparkling clean, dust found under the bed), comfortable bedding and lovely breakfast. I enjoyed myself without TV, could really slept early or catch up on reading....Staff speak basic Eng however no issue with that, sign language will solve the problem.

On arrival, do get the hotel to arrange a pick you up (CHF40 from Lucerne train station), getting your own cab can cost as much as CHF60! The warm & friendly lady driver speaks very little English, but was trying very hard to chit chat with us :)

Shopping is no where nearby the hotel, we took bus (CHF9, bus stop juz a short walk down) to city center for our groceries (drinks, juice etc which are much cheaper than getting from hotel). Words of caution, check the bus schedule as we miss the last bus (430pm) from the bus station (which is in front of train station) and ended up calling the hotel to arrange a cab to bring us back "home" and another CHF40. Most shops close on Sun so we stayed in our room the entire day and yup, it was raining anyway.

Only complaint we had, houseflies are everywhere and deter us from opening the windows to enjoy fresh air and staff/guests smoke below our room (we were on 3rd floor), otherwise everything is juz perfect! (and yup, bring your own kettle, tea/coffee. cups if you need to make your own drinks)

Would highly recommend to folks enjoy doing NOTHING but love nature, fresh air and listen to music from the wind, insect etc.

If we were return to Lucerne, Hotel Hammer will be our only option!

Room Tip: Go for suite!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EvonneSim

Reviewed September 28, 2013

The Hotel Restaurant Hammer turned out to be great place for our small workshop. We negotiated a package ahead of time. Accommodations were comfortable and bathroom facilities (shared) more than adequate - we never had to wait for one another. The meeting room was cosy and airy/light. We received a nice and plentiful platter of snacks twice a day, and enjoyed a 3 course dinner in the evenings. The staff was helpful, thoug a bit overloaded it seemed at times. Perhaps language was a bit of a barrier too (everone speaks at least some basic english), so that sometimes our requests were not immediately responded to. But overall, everybody did their best. The setting is beautiful, with plenty of trails to suit a variety of needs (short break from work, longer walk to stretch, 2 hour hike to cable car which takes you up to Mt. Pilatus!) We will definitely consider returning here! :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is a very special hotel cum restaurant. Wonderfully situated in Eigenthal Alps, it is a little distance from Luzern -- a price well-worth paying for the enchanting surroundings. Bus 71 (yellow post bus), only a few minutes walk from the hotel, runs several times a day, takes about 30-40 mins to Luzern Bahnhof and costs 9 CHF. Also, the hotel shuttle service is available for a similar price.
Ms Hammer has proved an efficient, friendly and professional manager; her staff are as charming as they are helpful.The decor combines rusticity with style (no stags' heads on the walls!); breakfast is sumptuous and evening meals heavenly.
Highly recommended Alpine refuge for a discerning traveller!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Eva664
Reviewed September 8, 2013

After a long trip to Switzerland I was shocked with the location of the hotel as it was far from Luzern, but later it turned out to be the best thing about this hotel, it is located up on the mountains with beautiful and extremely peaceful surrounding, here you will dispatch yourself from this world to enjoy a traditional experiment with very helpful and nice staff, the breakfast could not be any better (see my photos).

The downside of this hotel that the private bathroom is located across the corridor (tiny but tidy and clean).

Room Tip: There is no elevator or bellboy (prepare yourself).
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Abokhalil
Reviewed August 29, 2013

First the location is too far from the city center, going and coming is absolutely a mess. Room was not provided on time even though we reached at 2:30 in afternoon. Breakfast had flies all over the bread and it was bad ! Service from the staff was Rude and not friendly. Room size is TINY and the flooring is horrible, makes noise each time you walk on it. Weren't able to sleep at night as the guest noise kept us awake. Bathrooms are not ventilated. Hot water stopped 1 morning and it was horrible !

Will never recommend this place even if its for FREE ! We were given wrong timings for the bus and it happened twice.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ali_maryam
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My wife and I decided to stay here while driving from England to Italy (and back). Although off the main route, we are so glad that we did. The setting was picture-postcard-perfect. Frau Hammer was the model of Swiss efficiency and charm: helpful and friendly and concerned for the comfort of our stay. The staff were engaging too. The breakfast was outstanding for those with time to linger.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve D
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I had an amazing time, it was extremely peaceful. It also allowed to me to stay in Lucerne in some tyle. The service was excellent. I had to be careful because I was a broke college student just trying to get some fresh air. I planned everything accordingly and couldn't have been happier. I think its a place to indulge as well as the rest of Switzerland can be very expensive but up in the mountains you'll find the real Swiss charm without paying through the nose. I was so worried about this as a student but I genuinely wanted to visit because I wasn't that far away. I planned very well but still wound up spending more than a student should. But the experience, i'll have forever.

I had a genuinely authentic experience. Knowing a bit of German saved me from some mis communication with the staff that was around my own age. The owner, speaks English well, but it was my fault I refused some kindness in being to prudent about being charged for say a free breakfast or this or that. I had to be on my guard so I didn't get a huge bill, I felt I was living to large in the first place just being there. I recommend all the way. Hopefully I can return one day when i'm not a broke student anymore and really enjoy the peaceful atmosphere without having to worry about cost.

I stayed here for virtually the same price as a hostel up front because of a special but the trade off was being about 30-40 minutes away from inner city Luzern. The Yellow Post bus only runs about 4x a day, but its worth the ride and the scheduling Its an absolutely beautiful ride to get there. The bus's horn is quite amusing. I think you have to go out of your way to find stuff like this, but its well worth it.

One of those places who treat everyone equally, I didn't feel pressured. They even gave me a double room with a view for nothing extra which was above and beyond. They treat a guy like me like that, I have to come back here and let everyone know the staff and proprietors are top notch.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank RFizzle66

Been to Hotel Restaurant Hammer? Share your experiences!