“Escape for work and/or pleasure”

Hotel Restaurant Hammer
Ranked #1 of 1 Eigenthal B&B and Inns
athens
“Escape for work and/or pleasure”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The Hotel Restaurant Hammer turned out to be great place for our small workshop. We negotiated a package ahead of time. Accommodations were comfortable and bathroom facilities (shared) more than adequate - we never had to wait for one another. The meeting room was cosy and airy/light. We received a nice and plentiful platter of snacks twice a day, and enjoyed a 3 course dinner in the evenings. The staff was helpful, thoug a bit overloaded it seemed at times. Perhaps language was a bit of a barrier too (everone speaks at least some basic english), so that sometimes our requests were not immediately responded to. But overall, everybody did their best. The setting is beautiful, with plenty of trails to suit a variety of needs (short break from work, longer walk to stretch, 2 hour hike to cable car which takes you up to Mt. Pilatus!) We will definitely consider returning here! :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is a very special hotel cum restaurant. Wonderfully situated in Eigenthal Alps, it is a little distance from Luzern -- a price well-worth paying for the enchanting surroundings. Bus 71 (yellow post bus), only a few minutes walk from the hotel, runs several times a day, takes about 30-40 mins to Luzern Bahnhof and costs 9 CHF. Also, the hotel shuttle service is available for a similar price.
Ms Hammer has proved an efficient, friendly and professional manager; her staff are as charming as they are helpful.The decor combines rusticity with style (no stags' heads on the walls!); breakfast is sumptuous and evening meals heavenly.
Highly recommended Alpine refuge for a discerning traveller!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Eva664
الرياض, المملكة العربية السعودية
Reviewed September 8, 2013

After a long trip to Switzerland I was shocked with the location of the hotel as it was far from Luzern, but later it turned out to be the best thing about this hotel, it is located up on the mountains with beautiful and extremely peaceful surrounding, here you will dispatch yourself from this world to enjoy a traditional experiment with very helpful and nice staff, the breakfast could not be any better (see my photos).

The downside of this hotel that the private bathroom is located across the corridor (tiny but tidy and clean).

Room Tip: There is no elevator or bellboy (prepare yourself).
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Abokhalil
Kuwait
Reviewed August 29, 2013

First the location is too far from the city center, going and coming is absolutely a mess. Room was not provided on time even though we reached at 2:30 in afternoon. Breakfast had flies all over the bread and it was bad ! Service from the staff was Rude and not friendly. Room size is TINY and the flooring is horrible, makes noise each time you walk on it. Weren't able to sleep at night as the guest noise kept us awake. Bathrooms are not ventilated. Hot water stopped 1 morning and it was horrible !

Will never recommend this place even if its for FREE ! We were given wrong timings for the bus and it happened twice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ali_maryam
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My wife and I decided to stay here while driving from England to Italy (and back). Although off the main route, we are so glad that we did. The setting was picture-postcard-perfect. Frau Hammer was the model of Swiss efficiency and charm: helpful and friendly and concerned for the comfort of our stay. The staff were engaging too. The breakfast was outstanding for those with time to linger.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve D
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I had an amazing time, it was extremely peaceful. It also allowed to me to stay in Lucerne in some tyle. The service was excellent. I had to be careful because I was a broke college student just trying to get some fresh air. I planned everything accordingly and couldn't have been happier. I think its a place to indulge as well as the rest of Switzerland can be very expensive but up in the mountains you'll find the real Swiss charm without paying through the nose. I was so worried about this as a student but I genuinely wanted to visit because I wasn't that far away. I planned very well but still wound up spending more than a student should. But the experience, i'll have forever.

I had a genuinely authentic experience. Knowing a bit of German saved me from some mis communication with the staff that was around my own age. The owner, speaks English well, but it was my fault I refused some kindness in being to prudent about being charged for say a free breakfast or this or that. I had to be on my guard so I didn't get a huge bill, I felt I was living to large in the first place just being there. I recommend all the way. Hopefully I can return one day when i'm not a broke student anymore and really enjoy the peaceful atmosphere without having to worry about cost.

I stayed here for virtually the same price as a hostel up front because of a special but the trade off was being about 30-40 minutes away from inner city Luzern. The Yellow Post bus only runs about 4x a day, but its worth the ride and the scheduling Its an absolutely beautiful ride to get there. The bus's horn is quite amusing. I think you have to go out of your way to find stuff like this, but its well worth it.

One of those places who treat everyone equally, I didn't feel pressured. They even gave me a double room with a view for nothing extra which was above and beyond. They treat a guy like me like that, I have to come back here and let everyone know the staff and proprietors are top notch.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank RFizzle66
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Well, we were expecting something closer to Lucerne so were a bit troubled at first by the location (35 minutes by bus that only runs every hour, sometimes every two hours, and costs 9 euros per person) but when we settled in we really loved it. Very nice atmosphere, fantastic views on Mt. Pilatus, excellent food on the terrace. Good prices. Most of the rooms do NOT have their own bathrooms, rooms are very simply furnished. We did some walking in the area but took the bus in each day to either walk around Lucerne or take excursion to Mt. Rigi. Nice to get away from the hustle bustle of the city.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eigenthal
Hotel Pilatus-Kulm
#2 of 6 in Kriens
Hotel Rebstock
Hotel Rebstock
#1 of 2 in Wolhusen

Been to Hotel Restaurant Hammer? Share your experiences!