“Amazing and breathtaking!!!!”

Hotel Restaurant Hammer
Ranked #1 of 1 Eigenthal B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 23, 2013

- friendly and welcoming staff
- clean n tidy hotel
- breathtaking views of mount pilatus
- cosy atmosphere
- delicious breakfast esp freshly baked bread
- owner has all the adapters to charge phones n camera
- shuttle bus to n fro Lucerne
- well worth it n will def go back
- the best bit was the owner is very helpful n accommodating

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed Hotel Restaurant Hammer. The hotel staff is very friendly and welcoming, the accomodations are comfortable, the restaurant food is delicious, and the views are amazing.

After spending a few days in Zurich, we took a train to Lucerne and then a bus (#71) from the train station to the hotel. The bus takes about 35 minutes, costs 9 francs one way, and is totally worth it for the views you'll see as you ascend to Eigenthal Talboden (the last stop and the hotel's location). The bus is somewhat infrequent, though, so make sure you plan accordingly if you want to rely on public transportation.

We stayed in room 301 and loved it. The room is at the very top of the hotel and has an incredible view of the surrounding landscape. We had a private bathroom and small sitting area connected to the bedroom. Though there are no TVs in the rooms, you'll just want to stare out the window and listen to the cow bells at night. The bed was very comfortable.

The restaurant offers a variety of menu options, but we selected many of the more traditional Swiss items, like sausage with rosti, which were excellent. The highlight, though, were the desserts, like the lebkuchen (somewhat like gingerbread) and the apple streudel. The lebkuchen was so good, we had to have it again as an afternoon treat with coffee the next day. Breakfast in the morning is a nice selection of breads, meats, cheeses, yogurt, and granola - simple, yet very fulfilling.

One of the best things about Hotel Restaurant Hammer is its location - only about a 1/2 hour from Lucerne, but it feels very secluded, with many hiking trails to explore. Apparently the hike to Mt. Pilatus is pretty difficult and probably best attempted by experienced hikers, though, so we wandered around the local area. We spent one afternoon in Lucerne and felt it was plenty of time in the city. It also allowed us to pick up some food from a supermarket and the the Tuesday market vendors for a picnic in the hillsides near the hotel.

I highly recommend the hotel. We only wish we had more time to spend there and enjoy the service and beautiful location.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel is a drive from central lucerne, but well worth it. The scenery here is stunning, rooms are very comfortable, the food is excellent and the staff are wonderful. It is a place where you can truly relax. We took day trips from here, so did not get to sit and relax as much as we would have liked, but what a wonderful place to come home to in the evening. We hate to leave today, but will return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The Hotel Hammer was absolutely fantastic. My wife and I stayed there for 3 nights and we can't find a negative thing to say about the hotel. We stayed on the 3rd floor in a room with a private bathroom that was not ensuite but it was never an issue that the bathroom wasn't in our room. Our room, number 2.2, had the most serene and marvelous view of the mountains. It also had a small balcony that was large enough so that both me and my wife could sit outside and read with the view of the mountains all around us.
The food was excellent which was quite a surprise. We expected good food, but were taken aback by the level of cuisine offered. Our first night at the hotel we just ordered garden salads since we had enjoyed swiss fondue for lunch that was quite filling. The garden salads were such a surprise: fresh tomatoes, asparagus, cucumber, pickled onions, it was so good that we decided we needed to try the restaurant for a proper meal. The 2nd night my wife had beef strouganoff and I had the veal and both were perfect. They even packed us fresh goat cheese (there are goats in the hills behind the hotel) and prosciutto sandwiches for lunch when we went hiking in the alps. I really felt like I should be paying 5 times the price for the level of service we received.
The staff was extremely warm and friendly and spoke multiple languages so there was never any communication difficulties. If your taking the bus in from Luzern make sure to mention that you're staying at the Hotel Restaurant Hammer and the bus ride is free.
Hotel Hammer in Eigenthal was the best part of our 2 week holiday in Europe that included Venice, Verona, Zurich, and the Cinque Terre.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2.2 which was terrific and had an excellent view of the moutains.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We arrived too late but because we called in advance they kept the restaurant open. Not only was the food great but they even had good wine from Chile. Afterwards we asked if we could sit outside and they opened the terrace for us and lit a couple of candles and gave us blankets. The view of mountain Pilatus is breathtaking and in combination with the delicious breakfast, it was almost a pleasure waking up early. The only negative I can think of was the shared bathroom, but other than that everything was superb. Highly recommended. Will go back there some day.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My stay at Hotel Restaurant Hammer was so much more than I expected! Even though a few foggy days were a bit disappointing, the staff at HRH made me feel very welcome, making a real effort to ensure my comfort.

I had booked my stay at HRH as a break from backpacking, so was looking for a quiet place to rest up and enjoy the mountains, and it delivered!

The perfect place to spend a few days away in the Swiss countryside, it was well worth the 30 min incredibly scenic bus ride up the mountain from Lucerne. Travelling by bus was a bit difficult as the buses are not frequent. It would be much easier if you have your own transport.

The hotel itself is quaint and very well appointed with an authentic warm vibe. My room was upgraded free of charge as I was travelling in off-peak. I felt very spoilt! The room was very comfortable, had a magnificent view of the mountain and valley which i enjoyed (when it wasn't foggy!), with a comfy double bed, lamps, ensuite and most importantly... a bath! I spent most evenings soaking in the tub after an afternoon tramping around the mountain surrounds. The owner of HRH was so kind and got me a few bath soaks to make it even better :).

The breakfasts were huge and equipped me well to explore the many walks, or day trips in to town. The dinners were delicious and the wait staff very friendly and helpful.

I wholeheartedly recommend Hotel Restaurant Hammer to any traveller wanting a beautiful, quiet and interesting break!

Room Tip: Low season travel allowed me a room upgrade!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Susahhh
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We loved staying at this hotel during our three nights in Lucerne. The view of Mt Pilatus from our room balcony was just spectacular especially on the lovely warm days we were there. The drive from Lucerne isn't that far at all (15kms) and the scenery on the way is lovely.

The staff were ever so helpful and hospitable, ensuring we had what we needed and also assisting us with translations from the dinner menu. The food was delicious both at dinner and at the wonderful breakfast spread every morning. The most peaceful and relaxing setting to enjoy the beautiful Alps after a long day. A little slice of heaven. Would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony view of Mt Pilatus!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carmen R

Been to Hotel Restaurant Hammer? Share your experiences!