“Don't Stay Here”

Historic Eureka Inn
Ranked #2 of 7 Jonesborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This place doesn't live up to the hype on the website. The "full breakfast bar" is a continental breakfast. We saw the innkeeper for a few minutes when we checked in and she showed us where things were and how to lock the doors. She never smiled, and I felt that we were interrupting her as she must have been doing something much more important than talking to us. Yes, she told us how to reach her if she wasn't at the desk, but she didn't tell us she would never be at the desk, though the light was on there all evening. Our room was cramped and there was a pervasive odor of what smelled like a room deodorizer. After I searched all around the back of the bed for the foul odor I could smell under the perfumed spray (I'm guessing that's what it was) everytime I lay down, I discovered that the stench was coming from one of my pillows. If we had not brought another couple with us as a gift to them, we would have left. As it was, we apologized to our guests and the next morning, took them out for a full breakfast. To add insult to injury, the prices are high. I find it hard to believe that anyone could have left a glowing review for this place. We would have been better off at a cheap motel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rebecca F
Maria B, Manager at Historic Eureka Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

I am slightly befuddled by this review as my interaction with these guests was, I thought, a positive experience. R's sister-in-law J is a writer and left me a copy of her book. J, her husband and her brother were extremely nice, but R never said one word to me. She chose to remain in the background during her stay. As for breakfast, I offer over 35 items, most of them healthy, and it is completely complimentary, and though it is not a hot breakfast, those who have our breakfast never leave hungry. I shop at 4 different stores and our local farmer's market to ensure an excellent selection. If some folks choose to seek out that "All-American" type of breakfast, then they are not out any money. R's companions actually filled out their breakfast menu and initially had NO idea that R and her husband had chosen to eat out until I informed them. I showed J how to make coffee so that she and her brother could have their 5am cup. I do this job 24/7, and my days average 16 hours. Once my guests are checked in, sitting at the desk is a luxury. I am not unapproachable. I even show my guests where my room is if they cannot reach me by phone. I love my job. I love my guests, and I love this inn. I have learned over the years that some guests are just NOT happy people, and anything or anyone can be a trigger to that unhappiness. If they cannot express their needs to me, then there is nothing I can do. There is no hype here at the Eureka; we do not pretend to be anything we are not. My staff of two and I NEVER stop cleaning, organizing and improving the inn. I think the reviews show that we get it right MOST of the time, and I embrace the challenge to always excel. As for the price? I invite anyone, and I mean anyone, to come and do what we do in order to get ONE room ready from hand ironing the sheets to scrubbing bath tiles. I have no doubt they will wonder why we do not charge more.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

A stay in the Historic Eureka Inn is one that you will not regret. The moment you walk through the door, you'll find yourself immersed in an era totally different from the one you know, and yet all the comforts of today will be there, too.

My stay was in a suite that was so luscious that I didn't want to leave it. Now that I live in the area, I've had occasion to visit the Eureka several times and I continue to be impressed with its amenities and sense of history.

Room Tip: It will be quieter away from the Main Street side, but the view is quite lovely there as well. For t...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SAUNDRA K
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Every time I am in the Jonesborough area I love staying at the Eureka Inn. You have to realize, it is a historic building, and it has that older feel...but the beds, bathrooms, and most important things are all up to date and comfortable.

The breakfasts are simple and delicious and I honestly feel like I am visiting a home away from home thanks to the warm hospitality of the inn keeper, Maria.

Please note, during the off season breakfasts are not served unless you pay extra. Not a big deal. You are in a sweet little town, so take your pick. Pay a little extra to eat there or take a casual stroll.

There is no fitness center (its an inn).

Best of all? Located in a fantastic little TN historical town.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. I like being in the back off of the main street.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My son and I traveled to Jonesborough to see some of the historic sites in the area. After reading the reviews, thought this would be a good place to soak up some of the historic ambience. The innkeeper told me that there would not be any breakfast included because of the off season rate, but there would be coffee and oatmeal. Okay, that was fine. Upon arriving, she showed us around and told me how to work the heat, but if we got too cold there were blankets in the closet. She stopped just short of telling me the air conditioning was not cut on yet. It was cold the first night, so we turned on the heat. My son and I left the following morning for our day of sightseeing. After leaving the maid service request on the door, we came back to find that the beds had not been made nor the trash taken out. The day had been rather warm, so the room was hot too. I turned the thermostat on so that it should cool, but the only thing blowing was warm air. We used the ceiling fans, opened the room door, everything we could think of. Neither my son nor I slept that night. When I asked the innkeeper about all these issues, she said maid service was not provided in the off season. As far as the warmth of the room, she said, "I told you when you came in that the air conditioning was not functioning yet." I know that it would be just my word against hers in a court of law, but she never told me that the air conditioning wasn't on yet, as I said, she stopped just short of saying that. She just had the most hateful attitude about everything, and acted as though I was just an inconvenience. Don't believe the hype on the Eureka Inn website. I did, but I know better now.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are good if you have to put up with the innkeeper's attitude.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sharon T
Maria B, Manager at Historic Eureka Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

I read once that the most important moment in your life is the one RIGHT NOW. If that moment is not perfect, then change it. One of the great things about staying at the Eureka is that I am here 24/7, and if you have ANY issue then I am a phone call or a few steps away. My job is to ensure that the inn meets your needs when you stay here, but I cannot change your moment. Only YOU as my guest have that power. I cannot read minds or address issues if I have no idea what is going on. I depend on the candor of my guests to help me get it right. This particular guest waited until check-out time to address her grievances with both the inn and the town. She stayed two nights and saw me several times during her stay but never said a word. When Winter Rates are in effect, life is a little more laid back and simple at the inn. Our guests are in charge of their rooms, because housekeeping is completely complimentary as is breakfast. The town is running at a slower pace, and I get to do the same, because once Spring is here, there are NO days off until November. If I fail to be my best then I forgive myself and do better next time. We have bad days too, but the inn and I never stop changing for the better.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Ten of us who travel to B&Bs every December (this was our 32nd year) spent two nights at the Historic Eureka Inn in Jonesborough. It is a lovely inn, old with lots of history, rooms are a bit smaller than average but good accomodations. A bountiful continental breakfast is laid out for your enjoyment. Big porches at the front and back make for excellent gathering (it was about 70 degrees this December weekend. The town is the oldest in Tennessee and so much history here - plus nice shops, etc. It is worth the visit.

Room Tip: I recommend "The Cook's Room" on second floor - one of the largest rooms there. Plus...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Neighborhoodgroup
Reviewed October 28, 2012

First, this review is long over due! Back in April we held my parents 50th wedding anniversary here. We hosted a garden party lunch for approximately 75 people. As I was planning this event remotely, Maria was extremely helpful in working with me to make sure all of the details were just perfect. The back garden area was just the right size for our event and the gazebo add just a touch of that southern charm. Maria was so kind and really helped to make this a special event. Main Street Catering was the catering company and they were wonderful to work with on this event. Their food and service were outstanding!

My husband and I decided to stay at the Inn to make the event day easy for my family. Maria was a wonderful host and her homemade banana bread was out of this world!

I would highly recommend this B&B for a lovely outdoor event venue as well as a nice place to stay in town.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Staying at the Eureka Inn was our first trip together since our honeymoon, we were not disappointed! Upon our arrival, Maria, the Innkeeper, greeted us warmly and gave us a tour of the Inn. We stayed in the Garden View Room, which was cozy and very clean. The breakfast, served buffet style each morning, featured local and organic foods and products. Each morning the breakfast was excellent! It rained almost all day on the Saturday we were there, but we did not care because of the comfort level of the Inn. Jonesborough itself is filled with lots of history, along with the Inn, but at the same time Johnson City, TN is just a few convenient miles away. We would highly recommend a stay at The Eureka Inn, if only for one day or for one week. We hope our travels bring us this way once again!

Room Tip: The Garden View Room is probably the most private on the Second Floor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David B

Been to Historic Eureka Inn? Share your experiences!