“Better deals in town”

Holiday Inn Johnson City
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed in Johnson City at a convention held at this hotel about a month ago. Fact is, even with a discounted rate and even sharing a room, there are better values nearby. The staff was friendly enough, but I just can't enjoy a hotel that usually costs $100+ per night that does not offer you a complimentary breakfast. Call me old-fashioned, but that's just not cool. After one evening here I opted to pay $40 a night for a clean, roommate-less room at a nearby hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Ken P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Johnson City, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

We were pleased your group stayed with us recently. When your group booked the rooms they dictated if you would have a roommate and if breakfast was included. I am sorry those two things were a disappointment to you. I would suggest speaking with your group leader. We could easily book you into a single room and include breakfast. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

After switching rooms due to the strong mildew and wet carpet smell, the next one had it's own issues. The staff is nice. It's not their fault. The place needs more repairs and work than the owners must be able to afford. They are never very full. The rates are low so if you need a safe place and aren't bothered by a run down room, you could do worse. Carnegie hotel nearby is worth the drive for a better experience.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank JenJR
Ken P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Johnson City, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

I am very sorry you were not totally pleased with your stay with us. Most of our guests are usually pleased and many repeat guests. I do hope your will stay with us again. Contact me if you feel I can be of service.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My Wife and I go here for a conference almost every year and have found this Holiday Inn to be very good with a convention. There has never been a problem of any type and there are great restaurants close to the hotel and they have had their restaurant open for breakfast and it been good even with a convention going on. Highly Recommend and the Staff is Great.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ken P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Johnson City, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you so much for your "Great Comments" about your stay with us, our restuarant, and the staff. It is a pleasure to be of service to you. The staff and I work very hard to always improve on our "Hospitality Services" to each and every guests. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

When we arrived to set up the PMCC convention everything was ready and set up. We had the greatest people that were with Holiday Inn to assist us in every conceivable way. We were the coordinators of this convention, and we do not any other way that things could have been better. Mrs. Ella Bowen was right at our every beck and call and all the administration worked with us very diligently right up to and through this. We would HIGHLY recommend that for anyone's next visit to Johnson City, TN whether for vacation, conventions or whatever this is the place to go to.

Room Tip: Rooms.on the south side are much quieter
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Ken P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Johnson City, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

I am so glad to know that your stay and convention with us went extremely well. Penny our Banquet/Events Manager and her staff, I believe, are some of the best in the business. Thank you also for noting Ella, Director of Sales, was also at your service. Ella does a wonderful job for this hotel and I too am glad she is here. I want to thank you for such a high recommendation of this hotel to the public. Hope to be of service to you again, soon.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I hosted a convention for a national organization we belong to. We found Ella Bowen, the convention contact and the rest of the staff absolutely wonderful. They were very accommodating and made our planning phases as well as our guests feel like our home away from home. The food prepared for the banquet and sufficient as well as the service staff. Our thanks goes to all of the hotel staff for their fine service. Our group had nothing but praise and thanks for the many things they did for us. Large or small.
Bravo

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Ken P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Johnson City, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you so very much for your great review of your stay with us and your organization's convention with us. Thank you for noting our banquet/convention staff did a great job. I will also pass along to Ella, Director of Sales, your very kind comments about she helping you with your details of your convention and food service. We work very hard to show our "Hospitality" in the best of ways to all our guests. Again, I thank you. I hope your next stay and convention will be planned with us soon.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We found this hotel through Hotwire, and were so happy to have landed a Holiday Inn…until we walked into the building. It’s old and shabby. A few specifics: the mats in the elevators were very dirty, as were the walls, with visible smears on them. The lobby bathrooms were dirty (toilet paper on the floors). There’s peeling paint, old surfaces, water stains, rust—typical signs of wear and tear you expect to see in an old hotel. The room smelled strongly of air freshener. The A/C unit was one of those old style units not connected to a thermostat, and the “low A/C” left us freezing, as the temperature control knob didn’t change the temperature of the air at all; the fan-only knob was broken off all-together.

I will say that the bed and mattress were comfortable, so that's something!

I’ve stayed in many hotels at a range of prices, so I know what to expect from a Holiday Inn; this is NOT it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Ken P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Johnson City, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

First, I apologize, for any situation that did not meet your approval. As for the public restrooms and elevators we had several work crews in the hotel. We put the carpet mats in the elevators for just that reason. We have both AM and PM housekeepers that kept areas clean both shifts. I am glad the air conditioners did keep your room cool. You were correct that our a/c units do not have thermostats due to being controlled by knobs on the units.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The appearance of the facility is very nice. Until you reach the inner boundaries to realize the disgust that lies within...
First of all at check in, the lady at the front desk was very rude & disrespectful. She was glad to let us know her name was Jane & that she would be more than willing to share her feelings. (Those we will not comment on.) The hotel claims that it is newly renovated??? This is a lie. It is not newly renovated & the quality of the rooms / public areas / and meeting rooms will prove the fact.
We stayed last month (JUNE) & have never experienced such rudeness from a front desk personnel, as well as the disgust of a property. The rooms smell musky, the ceiling particles are flaky & nasty, there are crumbs all over the carpet, the light bulbs are burnt out, the toilet seeps water around the base, the sink is clogged. Oh my gosh!!! I would rather stay in my SUV!!! But I was promised a nice relaxing stay at the holiday inn on springbrook drive so I was a sucker & fell for it. I can't believe my family & I spent over $100 per night (2 nights) for what we could have rented a days inn, ramada, or red roof inn for half the price & the quality would have been better. As an overall perspective, Holiday Inn needs to recruit their front desk staffing, (Rude employees never seem to fulfill the obligation) And make some changes on their rooms. (No one wants to stay in a moldy, musky room with the flaws that these rooms have). Please ensure that your room has been fully serviced before booking because otherwise you are in for a treat you may not be appreciative of.

Room Tip: Holiday Inn in Johnson City is overpriced & overrated. Much nicer facilities in the area for a f...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TonyW W
Ken P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Johnson City, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Most of our guests are pleased and many are returning guests. I wish I could talk with you and get a room number because I do not know of any room with so many issues. If there is one of course I would want to know. I do have an employee by that name and rest assured I will address your comments with her. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I will go over this with housekeeping and maintenance. I certainly offer you my apology .