“Doing the least...to get the most out of the customer?”

Holiday Inn Johnson City
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Doing the least...to get the most out of the customer?”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Hello,

I came with here with wifey and friends for graduation festivities at ETSU this past weekend. I will try to be as objective as possible. I don't know if the state rate guests are automatically put into the subpar experience, but this was a disappointing stay.

Let's start with the cons: 1). The lobby looks halfway remodeled with a covered up smoke smell throughout; 2). The front desk worker was rude and accusatory. I guess she thought we didn't deserve the state rate? Weird. 3). Our room was decent with some noticeable things: the smoke smell, holes in the wall where clearly a picture should have been, extra small pillows, and open wall sockets with no coverings

Here are the pros: 1). Ummm, hmmmm lemme see here. The bathroom looked remodeled and nice; 2). Its in a great location near restaurants, stores etc.; 3). Ummm yea, hmmm, let's see here. (crickets)

Overall, if you have low expectations and get a good deal for like $40-$50, I'm sure you can tolerate this hotel. From they way they were operating, I have a feeling they won't be open too much longer. We felt nickled an dimed the entire time. It's not really worth what they charge. We won't be back. But see for yourself, as your experience may be better.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deerych
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Johnson City, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Deerych,

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the condition of our lobby, customer service and the smell of smoke in the room. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Winchendon, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed here for a free night in May 2013 as a Priority Club member. Reading many of the previous reviews, it seemed that the experience of the guests changes depending on whether there was a conference or event. I asked the staff and they said that they do cater to a lot of events and the hotel is often full or empty.

I requested a quiet room, and came on a Wednesday night when the hotel was not busy. As a priority club member, I received a coupon for the restaurant/lounge and so ate and drank there and it was also not busy at all, fine for me.

The service at the front desk and restaurant was excellent, my room was beautiful and immaculate, quiet and very comfortable. In the restaurant, and the sirloin steak was better than the Outback, the waffle the next morning was also very good. The broccoli seemed generic and previously frozen, but this still seemed a solid restaurant.

I am not sure what experience some other reviewers had or were expecting, but I found my experience to be better than many hotels including Holiday Inns, and I will definitely come back even if there is more going on with confidence that I will have a good experience.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I was here for the Coptic Conference as well - mentioned by Body Healer. There is another set of women's rest rooms off the lobby kind of hidden near the restaurant of the hotel that had an additional 5 stalls beside the bathoom in the Conference Center portion that Body Healer mentioned. So if other people knew about this I m sure the lines would not be so long.
But, anyway- I was pleasantly surprised by the rooms, both comfort and size. There were many many restaurants nearby so the restaurant at the hotel was certainly not the only option. I can't comment on it because I did not eat there. Well maintained property. Would love to stay here just for a weekend. Very clean, and staff very healpful

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol, Virginia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is the 3rd time I have come for the Coptic Conference held at this hotel each April. The staff is always very helpful and accommodating to all us. The lunch buffet could see some improvements but still get quiet a bit of food for the price charged. The only downside to the convention area is the women's bathroom only has 3 stalls and when you bring hundreds of women together, there is always such a long line. I have been to other local convention hotels that have much more in the way of bathroom facilities. At least this time they kept the supplies stocked unlike last year.
The convention area is always kept very clean and sound system very good, I think we are going to outgrow the facility soon as it was standing room only this weekend!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This was the 2nd year I stayed at this hotel when visiting Johnson City for the Thirsty Orange Beer Festival. This a great hotel right down the road from the festival and they even offered a free shuttle to the event site at Mellow Mushroom. The staff here is wonderful and super attentive. The hotel is clean, the beds and pillows comfortable, the wifi fast, and the showers have great water pressure. The lobby is spacious and has some great seating areas. Some friends and I gathered in one of the couch seating areas late after the beer festival to share a few more beers and conversation. I was afraid that we'd be too rowdy, but no one ever said anything to us.
I look forward to my stay again next year. The only thing I'd improve or suggest is offering a small but free continental breakfast for travelers on the go.

Room Tip: The higher up you go, the better view you'll have
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ratchet_of_Knoxville
Columbus. Ohio
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We were here to work a full-day meeting for 300 in the hotel's ballroom. Unfortunately, our meeting planners scheduled the meeting for the Friday of what's called race weekend here. Our planners had no idea, and were not informed of this when they booked the meeting.

I call this a lack of anticipatory thinking. It seems only reasonable and professional for a hotel sales team to inform out-of-town meeting planners of major local events going on at the same time as their proposed event ... especially something as big as race weekend turned out to be.

Anyway, when our travel agent tried to schedule us a sleeping room for the night before, she was told the hotel was sold out [another consequence of no anticipatory thinking by hotel staff]. The nearest available room was 40 miles away ... a long drive if you have to be on-site by 7 a.m. So I contacted the hotel and finally got a room -- for $285 -- after identifying myself as a platinum member of HI's Priority Club and pointing out that we were bringing 300 people in for a conference.

I was shocked and dismayed at the rate, but I understand supply and demand.

Then the little things started adding up. At check-in, we asked if breakfast was included with the room [it often is for Priority Club members]. Not at this HI, even at $285 a night! Correction: the total was $325.66 with taxes!!

Next, we were given a room far, far from the meeting room, so we asked about a cart to haul our luggage and half a dozen heavy boxes. Sorry, the race people had all the carts in use.

The room numbering system is really whacky -- maybe the oddest I've seen -- so it took several minutes of schlepping luggage down the halls to find our room.

The room was really warm; the thermostat read 84. When I pulled back the drapes to turn off the old heater, I found a dead stink bug on top of the heater. That set my partner to worrying about other bugs, especially in the bed [he found none].

We had a king room. The bed was hard, the sheets tired, and the pillows lumpy and uncomfortable. It was a particularly sad contrast compared with the wonderful bed we'd slept in the night before at the Knoxville Marriott [which, btw, cost half what we paid for this room!!].

The next morning, we learned that the hotel had booked another meeting across the hall from ours, with 150 attendees. That totaled 450 people, mostly women. Heads up: there were 3 stalls in the banquet area ladies' room and 2 more in a bathroom at the other end of the hotel. 400+ women, 5 stalls, and 15-minute breaks. Do the math.

The computer system in the business office was archaic. The internet connection was extremely slow and the system wouldn't download the sign-in documents we needed to print ... which, I guess, was okay because the printer connection wasn't working either. My partner finally had to email the information to the hotel office and have the documents printed out at the front desk ... by a printer that was running out of ink and provided only partial images of names on the sign-in sheets.

To their credit, the two women who worked the meetings [Penny and Sis] worked hard and were friendly and helpful.

The morning front desk person was one of the few anticipatory thinkers I met. When I stopped there before the meeting, she offered to recode my room key since it expired at noon and we had requested a late check-out. I appreciated her offer.

On the other hand ... I went there to show the bug I'd found in our room to Jill, the sales director who guaranteed me the room. The woman at the front desk told me Jill wasn't in ... and then I realized I was talking with Nicole, the on-duty manager. So I showed her the bug. "Oh," she said, "a stink bug." She told me she'd let Jill know about it. No "I'm sorry" or "Oh dear" or any acknowledgement that dead bugs are not a pleasant thing to find in a sleeping room.

I had already decided to tell our meeting planners not to book any future meetings at this hotel. I just wanted to get through the day and get out of town. So I left the bug with Nicole, worked the meeting, and got out of Dodge.

If you just need a sleeping room, here's the short story: this a below-average Holiday Inn in terms of comfort and service. And, obviously, if there's a big race going on, chance are you'll pay royally for it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank peebs777
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Johnson City, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear peebs777,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We always strive to provide a pleasurable journey for each of our valued guest and your given feedback is very important for us, as it helps to improve in the areas needed. Rest assured that your comments have all been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Johnson City hotels

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were stuck in Johnson City due to snow and road closings, and i had just been released from hospital after a 2 week stay! The staff was so accommodating. Wayne went out of his way to help my husband and I. We had a great bed! It slept like a dream. The pillows were great. (Labeled soft and firm). Fridge nice and cold for our snacks and drinks. Beautiful bathroom with granite countertops. The room was spotless. We were in room 408 and never heard a sound all nite long! Great nite sleep, great staff! Thanks again Wayne and Dorothy for making a stress free stay, out of a stressful situation!

• Stayed January 2013