“Surprisingly Nice Hotel”

Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Surprisingly Nice Hotel”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I was here for the Coptic Conference as well - mentioned by Body Healer. There is another set of women's rest rooms off the lobby kind of hidden near the restaurant of the hotel that had an additional 5 stalls beside the bathoom in the Conference Center portion that Body Healer mentioned. So if other people knew about this I m sure the lines would not be so long.
But, anyway- I was pleasantly surprised by the rooms, both comfort and size. There were many many restaurants nearby so the restaurant at the hotel was certainly not the only option. I can't comment on it because I did not eat there. Well maintained property. Would love to stay here just for a weekend. Very clean, and staff very healpful

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Bristol, Virginia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is the 3rd time I have come for the Coptic Conference held at this hotel each April. The staff is always very helpful and accommodating to all us. The lunch buffet could see some improvements but still get quiet a bit of food for the price charged. The only downside to the convention area is the women's bathroom only has 3 stalls and when you bring hundreds of women together, there is always such a long line. I have been to other local convention hotels that have much more in the way of bathroom facilities. At least this time they kept the supplies stocked unlike last year.
The convention area is always kept very clean and sound system very good, I think we are going to outgrow the facility soon as it was standing room only this weekend!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This was the 2nd year I stayed at this hotel when visiting Johnson City for the Thirsty Orange Beer Festival. This a great hotel right down the road from the festival and they even offered a free shuttle to the event site at Mellow Mushroom. The staff here is wonderful and super attentive. The hotel is clean, the beds and pillows comfortable, the wifi fast, and the showers have great water pressure. The lobby is spacious and has some great seating areas. Some friends and I gathered in one of the couch seating areas late after the beer festival to share a few more beers and conversation. I was afraid that we'd be too rowdy, but no one ever said anything to us.
I look forward to my stay again next year. The only thing I'd improve or suggest is offering a small but free continental breakfast for travelers on the go.

Room Tip: The higher up you go, the better view you'll have
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ratchet_of_Knoxville
Columbus. Ohio
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We were here to work a full-day meeting for 300 in the hotel's ballroom. Unfortunately, our meeting planners scheduled the meeting for the Friday of what's called race weekend here. Our planners had no idea, and were not informed of this when they booked the meeting.

I call this a lack of anticipatory thinking. It seems only reasonable and professional for a hotel sales team to inform out-of-town meeting planners of major local events going on at the same time as their proposed event ... especially something as big as race weekend turned out to be.

Anyway, when our travel agent tried to schedule us a sleeping room for the night before, she was told the hotel was sold out [another consequence of no anticipatory thinking by hotel staff]. The nearest available room was 40 miles away ... a long drive if you have to be on-site by 7 a.m. So I contacted the hotel and finally got a room -- for $285 -- after identifying myself as a platinum member of HI's Priority Club and pointing out that we were bringing 300 people in for a conference.

I was shocked and dismayed at the rate, but I understand supply and demand.

Then the little things started adding up. At check-in, we asked if breakfast was included with the room [it often is for Priority Club members]. Not at this HI, even at $285 a night! Correction: the total was $325.66 with taxes!!

Next, we were given a room far, far from the meeting room, so we asked about a cart to haul our luggage and half a dozen heavy boxes. Sorry, the race people had all the carts in use.

The room numbering system is really whacky -- maybe the oddest I've seen -- so it took several minutes of schlepping luggage down the halls to find our room.

The room was really warm; the thermostat read 84. When I pulled back the drapes to turn off the old heater, I found a dead stink bug on top of the heater. That set my partner to worrying about other bugs, especially in the bed [he found none].

We had a king room. The bed was hard, the sheets tired, and the pillows lumpy and uncomfortable. It was a particularly sad contrast compared with the wonderful bed we'd slept in the night before at the Knoxville Marriott [which, btw, cost half what we paid for this room!!].

The next morning, we learned that the hotel had booked another meeting across the hall from ours, with 150 attendees. That totaled 450 people, mostly women. Heads up: there were 3 stalls in the banquet area ladies' room and 2 more in a bathroom at the other end of the hotel. 400+ women, 5 stalls, and 15-minute breaks. Do the math.

The computer system in the business office was archaic. The internet connection was extremely slow and the system wouldn't download the sign-in documents we needed to print ... which, I guess, was okay because the printer connection wasn't working either. My partner finally had to email the information to the hotel office and have the documents printed out at the front desk ... by a printer that was running out of ink and provided only partial images of names on the sign-in sheets.

To their credit, the two women who worked the meetings [Penny and Sis] worked hard and were friendly and helpful.

The morning front desk person was one of the few anticipatory thinkers I met. When I stopped there before the meeting, she offered to recode my room key since it expired at noon and we had requested a late check-out. I appreciated her offer.

On the other hand ... I went there to show the bug I'd found in our room to Jill, the sales director who guaranteed me the room. The woman at the front desk told me Jill wasn't in ... and then I realized I was talking with Nicole, the on-duty manager. So I showed her the bug. "Oh," she said, "a stink bug." She told me she'd let Jill know about it. No "I'm sorry" or "Oh dear" or any acknowledgement that dead bugs are not a pleasant thing to find in a sleeping room.

I had already decided to tell our meeting planners not to book any future meetings at this hotel. I just wanted to get through the day and get out of town. So I left the bug with Nicole, worked the meeting, and got out of Dodge.

If you just need a sleeping room, here's the short story: this a below-average Holiday Inn in terms of comfort and service. And, obviously, if there's a big race going on, chance are you'll pay royally for it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank peebs777
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Johnson City, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear peebs777,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We always strive to provide a pleasurable journey for each of our valued guest and your given feedback is very important for us, as it helps to improve in the areas needed. Rest assured that your comments have all been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Johnson City hotels

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were stuck in Johnson City due to snow and road closings, and i had just been released from hospital after a 2 week stay! The staff was so accommodating. Wayne went out of his way to help my husband and I. We had a great bed! It slept like a dream. The pillows were great. (Labeled soft and firm). Fridge nice and cold for our snacks and drinks. Beautiful bathroom with granite countertops. The room was spotless. We were in room 408 and never heard a sound all nite long! Great nite sleep, great staff! Thanks again Wayne and Dorothy for making a stress free stay, out of a stressful situation!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank imatravelertwo
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed January 12, 2013

My family & guest friends of ours booked rooms at this hotel. We had actually bragged about this location convincing family & some friends of ours to stay in peace. We were embarrassed to state that fact after the stay. I had to explain to my family & friends that maybe I was wrong. After all, there were intoxicated adults (along with their children) roaming the place like zombies. Even had some guy grab a cup of pepsi out of my hand and start drinking it on the elevator!!!!!! Handed the cup back and said he was going to pass out in his room now!!! The lobby was looking & smelling like a bar by the trash scattered & alcohol bottles distributed everywhere. The slamming of doors & loud, noisy conversation in the hallway really contributed to our next-day departure. Had planned on staying for a few days, enjoying the environment, & living up some time with family & friends. Yet we all felt like we were in an episode of The Walking Dead!! Needless to say, we didn't sleep all night, & checked out by 7AM on the first morning after a night of unexpectations. When addressing these issues with the staff at the front desk, she seemed to care less. We just moved on to another location where at least we didn't feel uncomfortable & finished out our family/friend gathering.

Room Tip: Expect nothing other than an irregular Norman Bates Motel. Very Scary & Weird. (Especially with...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Mike S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Johnson City, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Mike S,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We had a great night of sleep... comfortable beds, great pillows. This is a beautiful hotel and very clean. We didn't take advantage of the pool because of our tight schedule, but everything else we saw/used was very nice. We had 2 rooms with a connecting door so our (almost grown) daughters were close by but still had a separate space. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family