“Just Okay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Jackson, United States
“Just Okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

This hotel was in a great location with a good pool. However the housekeeping during our stay was sub-par to be nice. The size of the rooms are great but the air units can't keep up. We had a large group for a tournament. Staff wasn't that friendly. The food service hours were very limited as well. I realize this is a business oriented hotel but it was summer and we were here with family. Location was very close to lots of things.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

sdlewis, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Johnson City, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you so much for your recent review. We greatly appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I understand from yuour review that you were disappointed in our service, housekeeping and food service hours. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you had during your stay with us. It is through feedback as yours that we evaluate ourselves and identify the areas where we can improve. I thank you again for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel and I do hope that if you visit our area again, you consider staying with us.
Best regards, Steve Lewis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Honea Path, SC, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

The upgrades made when Hilton took over are excellent with beautiful rooms and a great restaurant. The staff is very professional and helpful. The hotel is in a prime location with a mall, theater and restaurants all within a very short walking distance. I am especially appreciative that pets are still allowed and that this is an American owned hotel. The indoor/outdoor pool is the only one of its kind in the area; however, I found that the water was much too cold. That is the only negative thing about the hotel. Although the cost is higher that it was when it was Garden Plaza, it is still less than some Hilton owned hotels. I also enjoyed the warm cookies given to us upon arrival and the fresh fruit and coffee in the lobby.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you very much for writing this review and for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community! Your comments will certainly be shared with our team members and your concern regarding the pool temperature has been addressed and corrected. We look forward to being your hotel of choice when your travels bring you back to the Johnson City area. Thanks again for taking the time to review our hotel.
Sincerely, Steve Lewis
Greensboro, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed here due to free points. Check in not efficient due to new employee and the other 2 employees did not help this person. Worst part was the lack of a/c...room never cooled down, had to borrow a fan from the front desk or would not have been able to sleep...even concierge suite had to have a fan running...at checkout, we were not asked how our stay was...have not yet received a survey...feel like we wasted our points

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointing service and conditions of your recent stay. We know our guests deserve the best and we have shared your comments with our front desk and maintenance teams to keep in mind as we continually evolve to best meet and exceed our guests' expectations. Should you return to our area in the future, we would love to have you back so we may better demonstrate the complete quality stay you expect and deserve.
Knoxville, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

This hotel is great for a good rest. The pillows are great and the comforter is also nice and cozy. The breakfast is also fantastic. The beds are also made up well. All the staff is very friendly and helpful. A mall is also walking distance and they do take dogs.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you so much for this fantastic review. We are so glad you were able to enjoy a nice quiet rest in our comfortable beds! I have shared your kind comments regarding our restaurant, staff and location with our team members. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Sincerely, Steve Lewis
Washington, DC, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

Although the building overall could use a bit of a refresh, the room was sparkling clean and comfortable. The staff were all amazingly friendly and helpful. Breakfast delivered to our room was cooked to perfection.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback and wonderful comments regarding our rooms, staff and your room service breakfast. Out teams' top priority is our guests and we work hard to ensure all our guests have a great experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Johnson City area on your next visit.
Best regards, Steve Lewis
York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

The staff was wonderful! There was a wedding and a class reunion event going on at the hotel the week we were staying there. The room keys only worked once then you had to get a new one. The pool was used greatly by all guests but the towels were not kept stocked. It is a nice hotel and the staff was very nice to us but I really hated having my arms full when reaching my room and having to go back to the front desk to get a new room key because my key stopped working

1 Thank Heather M
Columbus, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

Terrible experience at the Hampton in Johnson City, so I checked out upon arrival and checked in here.

The reason I did not choose this hotel initially is having to weed through all the reviews generated by the hotel, those with a history of only one review. I was concerned about the age of the hotel and all the smoked in "non-smoking rooms."

In the end the Doubletree was a much better choice for me. Although the hotel is more than a bit worn and could use some carpet cleaning in the hallways, this was a more relaxed and comfortable stay for me. I ended up staying in a room on the second floor and opting not to take the room on the executive level as that room had been recently smoked in. My room 217 had a bothersome smell that I could not put my finger on, but the room was otherwise clean.

Room was a bit small with a unique layout, but looked upscale and clean. Upscale bedding and amenities. Upscale feel to the bathroom. Wall unit ac. Large good quality Panasonic flat screen. Nice refrigerator with small freezer section. Upon request a good quality microwave was immediately delivered to my room. I was lucky not to have any issues with noise or the typical morning door slam fests you sometimes encounter. They still place newspapers at your door here.

No problems with the front desk staff, and they appeared better trained than the staff at the Hampton Inn.They dealt with my concerns professionally and I did not have any issues with them.

Ate breakfast at the buffet and it was nothing spectacular, but it was fresh and fresh cooked. The specialty of the day was hash browns with cheddar cheese sprinkled on top. Where I come from, we call theses hash browns with cheddar cheese sprinkled on top. A specialty would be something like eggs benedict. Thanks for the chuckle to get me day started. Eggs were fresh. Good quality sausage and bacon. Clean comfortable atmosphere with two large TVs that were set to a perfect volume. Nice wait staff.

The pool area was very nice with a connecting indoor outdoor pool.

The location is ideal, in walking distance to some nice chain restaurants and the mall and a very short drive to grocery stores.

I'd stay here again. I bet it is very hard to control the idiots who smoke in non-smoking rooms and this appears to be an issue in this town. Hopefully this won't be an issue for you. Other than that, as a frequent traveler, this would be my choice in town. Avoid the Hampton as it is not worth the stress and dealing with their pettiness.

For the management, some carpet cleaning is in order. Use lamps with sockets on the night stands. I would have liked to be on the executive floor, but being placed in a nonsmoking room that has been smoked in is unacceptable. If you are going to allow people to smoke in nonsmoking rooms, a deep clean is imperative. Your maids know who smokes in the rooms and just putting the next guest in the room without a deep clean only serves to upset the next guests. This is disgusting and shows a lack of respect for the majority of your guests who would never vandalize your rooms. Overall, thanks for a great stay. I was pretty stressed when I got to your hotel and your front desk helped to relax me and get me into a good room for a great nights sleep.

Room Tip: Get there early in case you have to play musical rooms to find one that has not been smoked in. If y...