“Return visit”

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Oklahoma
“Return visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We stay here every year for the story telling festival. The rooms are updated to the current Hilton standards. The bed is a ten. The staff is very friendly.

Beware, the first floor west wing is a stinking smoke hole. We made the mistake of walking to my car and gagged. They said after the first of the year they will be smoke free. The smell doesnot invade the rest of the hotel.

There is a movie plex next door across the parking lot. Lots of restaurants near by.

• Stayed October 2012
sdlewis, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Johnson City, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us during the Storytelling Festival each year! We appreciate your loyalty and for your response that allows our future guests to get a better glimpse into what we offer and your impression of the property. We are pleased to know that the staff and bedding were up to par for you. You will be happy to know that we will in fact be going 100% non-smoking in early 2013, therefore that will not be a concern during your stay next fall with us. We look forward to having you stay with us again next october and wish you the safest travels until then.
Steve lewis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
athens tn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Usually stay at Doubletree. Mostly fine, but its time to do a little cosmetic and updating to the room I stayed in. But, it was not to the point I would not return. This was a very friendly hotel. Staff at front desk friendly and I ALWAYS notice if the cleaning staff is friendly and they were. So, that shows me they treat their staff good. I would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Usually stay at Hilton properties and this hotel was ok. Parking was at a premium while it was raining. Hilton honors members get free breakfast on the 5th floor. Typical fare - didn't like that the attendant left a dollar on the counter hoping for tips. Room was ok and amble place to work. TV had several channels. Shower was good pressure and hot. Bed was comfortable. Room had a refrigerator. Would stay here again.

1 Thank MountJuliet2011
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

I am a Hilton Honors member, and like staying at Hilton branded properties when possible. Generally I choose a Hampton Inn, just because of the free breakfast, but this time I went with the DoubleTree because of its location. While I could tell that this property was a little older, I thought that it has been well maintained for its age. The lobby and the guestroom felt very clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the wireless worked very well for me (a must!). I was also surprised when I got here, that for HH members, there is a concierge lounge on the top floor that serves a complimentary breakfast for no additional cost! The exercise room was very small (a couple cardio machines and free weights), but all of the machines were working and looked new.

Overall, I was very pleased with my stay here. The staff was great, the rooms were quiet and clean, and the rate was very reasonable for a full-service hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling here.

1 Thank BlakeO229
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

I just completed my second stay at this hotel and will not return. Upon check-in, I was provided with a room that had a broken ironing board and inoperable air conditioning unit. The carpet had cookie crumbs on it and the carpet under the tables and bed looked like they hadn't been vacuumed in months. They replaced the ironing board promptly, but maintenance didn't show up to my room for an hour--after my second phone call to the front desk. The individual from maintenance showed-up without any tools and proceeded to press the on and off buttons, and unplug and replug the unit (same actions I took). He concluded that unit was broken. I waited an hour for that. As I suspected in the first place, I was moved to another room. In all fairness to the manager, she felt bad for my inconvenience and provided me with a coupon for the buffet and a giftcard to Starbucks. She was very nice and tried to accommodate, but the problems in this hotel are too monumental for one person to handle.

My second room wasn't a whole lot better. It was missing an ironing board , which they promptly replaced. The air conditioning unit worked, but the air from it smelled mildewy. I was hoping not to contract legionnaires disease during my 3 day stay. Just like the first room, the carpet under the tables and the bed looked like they hadn't been vacuumed in months/year. One of the "clean" glasses provided was actually quite filthy. I left a note for housekeeping, who left a note back apologizing for the dirty glass, but then decided (I guess) to not clean the rest of the room. During my 3 day stay, the sink was cleaned once, the table surfaces were not dusted. the counter above the refrigerator was unwiped, a used washcloth was simply refolded and placed on top of the commode tank, the refrigerator froze all of the food and beverages in it, I was provided with one USA Today and upon checkout, the front desk could not provide me with a receipt due to computer issues. And--my room also had one of the same bugs that a reviewer provided a picture of.

Perhaps I wasn't provided with a better room and better housekeeping because I am not a Hilton Honors member. In reading some of the other reviews, there seem to be "special" rooms for Hilton Honor members that actually get cleaned (floors 3 and higher). I was on floor 2. It's unfortunate as this hotel is centrally located to the highway, shopping and restaurants. But on my next business trip to Johnson City, I'll be willing to drive out of my way for a clean, well maintained hotel.

Room Tip: Become a Hilton Honors member, I guess.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
sdlewis, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Johnson City, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for your candid feedback of your stay at our hotel. We are extremely sorry that we did not meet expectations and please know that we are actively working with our housekeeping and maintenance teams to focus on cleanliness and comfort throughout our property. we will certainly address your concerns and keep them in mind as we evaluate refresh options at our property. We value all of our guests and strive to proved a clean and comfortable enfironment for everyone. Thank you again, and we hope you will consider staying with us the next time your travels bring you back to Johnson City so that we can show you the quality service and amenities you deserve.

Best regards,
Steve Lewis
Pensacola,Fl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed at the Doubletree September 3rd. Traveled all day from Pensacola,fl. Looked forward to peace and quiet and a comfortable bed, and that is exactly what i got. Yes, the place is a little dated, but it was clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Ate breakfast in the restaurant and the food was good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank willi61
Lauren S, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Johnson City, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your Labor Day weekend with us, as well as the experience that you at our property. We pride ourselves on clean accommodations and a truly hospitable staff & are pleased you found both up to par. Please join us again next time you are in the area and thank you again for your review.

In Service,
Lauren Shepherd
Director of Sales
Lshepherd@cooperhotels.com
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

It is a good place to stay for the price in the area, but it does not live up to the Hilton Double Tree name. Everyone was very nice and professional, and the comfy beds and clean linens are what I love.
You can tell the place is older and has not been well maintained. It was not dirty, but it just didn't feel clean. The location is a little odd as it is not close to the interstate. The restaurant is convenient, but not good unless your just wanting a beverage.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
I am very sorry to hear you do not feel that we lived up to the DoubleTree by Hilton standard during your stay. I would love to discuss the details of your stay and the issues you experienced in greater length. While I am thrilled you found our staff nice and professional & found our beds comfy, I want to assure we correct any situations where you feel we fell short. I look forward to hearing from you & being given the opportunity to correct any shortcomings that you may of experienced.

My Pleasure,