“Needs attention, but great friendly staff”

DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Reviewed August 16, 2012

It is a good place to stay for the price in the area, but it does not live up to the Hilton Double Tree name. Everyone was very nice and professional, and the comfy beds and clean linens are what I love.
You can tell the place is older and has not been well maintained. It was not dirty, but it just didn't feel clean. The location is a little odd as it is not close to the interstate. The restaurant is convenient, but not good unless your just wanting a beverage.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Lauren S, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Dear Guest,
I am very sorry to hear you do not feel that we lived up to the DoubleTree by Hilton standard during your stay. I would love to discuss the details of your stay and the issues you experienced in greater length. While I am thrilled you found our staff nice and professional & found our beds comfy, I want to assure we correct any situations where you feel we fell short. I look forward to hearing from you & being given the opportunity to correct any shortcomings that you may of experienced.

My Pleasure,

Reviewed August 9, 2012

This was our 2nd stop on a road trip from Houston,TX to St John's, NL. It was the dearest of the hotels we stopped in on the way and the room was very good. The bar and restaurant were quiet and the food average. The pool was closed due to a private party.

We were welcomed with hot walnut cookies which was a nice touch.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CrystalRose54

Dear Guest,
After quite a journey from Houston, we appreciate you chose to stay with us & took the time to express your enjoyment of the stay with other potential guests. Glad you enjoyed the cookies & we would be happy to send you some if you wouldn’t mind to reach out to me via email. On your next stop through the mountains of East Tennessee be sure to visit again & safest travels until then.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stay at hotels frequently for work - due to expense restrictions, frequently at older properties. With careful care and attention to detail, some older properties hide thier age well. This one, unfortunately does not. From the holes in the entry overhang ceiling to the dings in woodwork and paint to the worn and grungy carpeting - this hotel badly needs an overhaul. In the meantime, the hotel needs to pay extra special attention to detail to make the most of what it has. For example, a window in the lobby has a broken seal and another has the caulking flapping in the breeze. The caulking around the shower stall is falling out. Many rooms still have morning newspapers outside the door (it's 9 pm) and a room down the hall has a full trashcan (with dirty baby diapers) and a microwave sitting outside the door (been there since I got here around 5 pm). Fresh carpet and paint would go a long way as well. I know I am getting a little long and winded, but I know hotels read these comments and maybe they can fix the issues for the future! Other details included lots of burned out lights (including one in my room), noisy A/C unit, and a very wrinkled bed skirts.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Lauren S, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your response to your stay via Trip Advisor. As a business traveler, we grasp it takes time out of your busy schedule to post your experience, so we appreciate your taking time to provide feedback. We as a property and management staff certainly understand your statements on the age of our property and we are working diligently to renovate and replace items throughout the hotel to update it to 2012. While it is a work in progress, I do apologize that you found our property sub-par. Thus far we have renovated bathrooms, including caulking, carpet in many of the rooms and tv’s in our guest rooms, just to name a few. We have a ways to go, but feel confident that in time this great property that has been a staple in Johnson City for years will once again possess the most modern and updated facilities in the area. As a property, we appreciate our guests’ patience as we work on this project & thank you for pointing out a couple new positive changes that could be implemented to this process. I do apologize that your experience was not to the normal DoubleTree by Hilton standard and assure you that given the opportunity, that your next stay would be far more positive. As Conrad Hilton said “Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don’t quit”- we as a property have made a mistake in falling short of your expectations, but assure you we will keep moving and put into action plans to assure we are successful for your next stay. Again, thank you for your business & hope that you do give us the opportunity to show you the improvements we have/are making & the world class service, accommodations and attentions to detail we are known for.

In Service, Lauren Shepherd- Director of Sales

Reviewed July 29, 2012

The hotel is nice overall, with good amenities including a clean indoor/outdoor pool and an on-site sports bar restaurant. It is an older property; normal wear and tear shows, as expected, in things like scuffed doors. Our room was nicely furnished. It included a chair with an ottoman, a refrigerator, and an over-sized work desk. The staff was friendly, and happily accommodated our slightly early arrival.

The concierge room was a nice bonus. It offered light appetizers (cheese and crackers, veggie tray, sauced chicken bites) and the famous Doubletree cookies in the evening, along with a cash bar. The complimentary breakfast in the morning included fluffy pancakes and traditional continental fare.

However, all of the good features were overshadowed by a distinct musty odor that hit as soon as we opened our room door. We considered asking for a different room, but while walking down the hallway we overheard maintenance telling a housekeeper that they were on their way to check on a musty smell in a room -- and it was not our room. That's when I took a deep sniff and realized the whole hotel had a musty odor. The next morning, I walked barefoot near our window/air conditioner unit, and discovered the carpet was damp for over a foot in front of it. That could have been the source of the odor in our room. And it confirmed my suspicion about the air conditioner not operating correctly: although it did cool our room, it made odd noises through the night, and the fan level controls did not work.

The bathroom could have used more cleaning. The tub itself appeared to be a newer unit, and was adequately clean. However, the baseboards were caked with dust and grime, and the tile grout needed a good scrubbing.

Since we were only there for the one night, we did not complain to the front desk. They obviously know about the musty odor already. But if we ever stay here again, we will definitely check for damp carpet before accepting the room.

Room Tip: Check for damp carpet by the air conditioner before accepting room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Lauren S, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to let us know the inside scoop on your stay & what you did and did not care for, plus your observations. Based on your Trip Advisor page, it appears you review quite frequently, thus you must grasp how vital such feedback is for the properties. It is truly beneficial to hear your first hand knowledge of what the hotel is like from our guests point of view. That being said, thank you for letting us know of the nicely furnished room you checked into, the friendly staff and the perk of having the concierge lounge. Even more so, thank you for bringing to our attention the unpleasant smell you experienced & the AC unit malfunction that must have been going on. Being an older property, we are constantly revamping and updating our facilities to better your stay. With that comes our updating of AC units, which will hopefully eliminate such problems in the future. While it is not ideal whatsoever that your particular room had not received a replacement unit yet, I assure you we are working on this in a spedfast manner. As for your bathroom cleanliness, I would love the opportunity to speak with you further regarding your specific room & stay dates, so that I can address the deep cleaning with the housekeeper responsible that room. It is important to address these issues at hand with our staff, as they are assuring your room is exceeding your expectations and standards. Again, thank you so much for sharing with us you experience of the hotel & please contact me at your leisure so that I may gather further details to better your next stay & other guest’s stays as well. I look forward to hearing from you & working tirelessly to make your next visit with us much more enjoyable and to the standards in which we at the DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City pride ourselves on.

Reviewed June 29, 2012

This was my first time in Johnson City, and I found the DoubleTree to be very inviting. It shows its age in some spots, but more recent renovations shine over old blemishes. The front desk staff was professional and friendly (if you knew me you would say they must be good- I don't take those words lightly). My room was on the fifth floor, which is also the home to the Concierge lounge. The Concierge lounge was well appointed, comfortable, and offers morning (light breakfast) and early evening drinks, appetizers, etc. The doors are just about all that is left of the "old" DoubleTree, which I found to be an odd oversight. The rooms, however, were clean, inviting, and well decorated. The only thing I noticed of concern was that they had replaced a couple of bulbs with incandescent (the rest were energy efficient compact fluorescents). Sounds like an odd thing to be concerned about, but it made the lighting in the room uneven, and worst of all, the old bulbs put out a lot of heat. I noted hot spots in the room (the AC was all the way down)... not sure if it was the bulbs or lack of roofing insulation. The rooms did include a small refrigerator (if that is important to you). The weight room, although very tight, does offer cardio and free weights. For serious fitness enthusiasts, ask the front desk for a free pass to Lifestlye Fitness (great gym) just down the road. All in all a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thanks for sharing with us and future guests what your experience was like during your stay. We appreciate your feedback and will certainly look into the light bulb inconsistency you mentioned. Thank you for noticing our renovation progress & the great front desk service you encountered. We know what it takes a seasoned traveler to have give positive feedback & know you don't take those lightly, so thank you. We look forward to your return and will be constantly improving & updating until then to better your experience. Until next stay--

Reviewed June 8, 2012

The location is good.

The customer service is good too.

Rooms were of a decent size. However a few issues. The AC wasn't working very well. And it made noises. The carpet is kinda old and had stains. The rooms and decor were kinda dated.

Cleaning wise... well they need help here. Too much dust. Stains on carpet. Vacuuming wasn't very good. They need to training their employees how to clean properly.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank raevyn007
Lauren S, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for your input on the various aspects of a hotel, that make up a guest stay. I am happy to hear that our prime location on the main strip of Johnson City was ideal for you and made your stay convenient. It is also valuable to hear that your experience with our guest service standards met and/or exceeded your expectations. The DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City is an older property, however with that comes a rich history with the area, our community and the loyalty of the staff that has been here since day one. We are updating many of the features you listed & are addressing them as rapidly as possible. Carpet on our 5th, and some of 4th is in the process of being replaced from the standard wear and tear that the current upholstery has. The décor is being partially transformed as I type, in the form of new bedding & light colors to brighten up our rooms. We do have a preventative maintenance plan into effect to take care of and prevent any loud noises coming from our HVAC units and I’d like to speak with you further about your specific stay so that we may address that unit appropriately. Finally, I do apologize for any missing areas of cleaning you may have experienced during your time with us. The dust and vacuuming you mentioned will most certainly be addressed with all housekeeping staff, however if I get the opportunity to delve deeper into your stay & specifics, I can address it on a better level. We do experience change in staffs and do have new individuals working with us on a continual basis, but we do strive to train and develop each of them. I appreciate your feedback, as now we have different items to ensure are to peak standards for our guests. If you have a moment in your travels and daily life, please feel free to contact me so that I am able to break down your stay to a more concise and specific instance & address the items needed. I do hope you will see the effort being placed into the fact that we at the DoubleTree by Hilton want to ensure a flawless stay for all and that situations such as yours do not occur again. I look forward to hearing from you & the opportunity to have you stay with us again in order to see the progress and commitment we have to our customers. Thank you so much and we appreciate your business.

My Pleasure,
Lauren Shepherd- Director of Sales

Reviewed June 8, 2012

I read other reviews, and I too stayed on the Hilton Honors floor. My room was pleasant, more than comfortable, and I felt a great value. The staff at check in and check out were very pleasant, and I felt at home. The room was quiet and relaxing. I ate breakfast from the menu in the restaurant and found the food great along with waitress.

Some may not have had as great of an experience as I had, but that could be because someone was in a hurry and did not do a great job in cleaning. My room was relaxing and the staff made it an enjoyable stay. I would go back again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank skycam1

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking a moment to let us know of the great experience you had with us during your business trip. I also want to express our appreciation of your loyalty to the Hilton brand by your enrollment in the HHonors program. As a property, we are thrilled you enjoyed both your accommodations and our staff. We strive to ensure you are relaxed and feel at home, which it appears we succeeded in this measure. We most certainly look forward to your return visit & please feel free to let me know if I can do anything to assist you in the process of setting something up with us. Thank you so very much and safest travels until we see you again.

Lauren Shepherd-Director of Sales