“Tired Traveler - Room Not Acceptable”

DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I travel to the Tri-Cities area of Tennessee about four to five times a year for work, and usually stay at the Doubletree Inn in Johnson City. Over the last year or two I’ve experienced a few service issues, and after my most recent visit, may make a permanent switch to the Hampton Inn on State of Franklin Road. I prefer the Doubletree’s location near the mall and local restaurants and businesses, but there’s no excuse for a room that’s not ready for guests.

I arrived around 9 pm and was tired after a 5-hour drive. After checking in I proceeded to my room, only to find several items not as they should be. One of the door hinges on the wooden cabinet that houses the refrigerator was broken, creating a situation where the cabinet door wouldn’t close because the broken hinge kept getting caught on the top corner of the refrigerator. The open cabinet door was partially blocking the entrance to the bathroom. There was an orange extension cord (the kind you use outdoors or for power tools) stuffed in beside the refrigerator with part of the cord coming out the back of the cabinet and over to the electrical outlet beside the bed. As I was trying to deal with the cabinet door by moving the refrigerator, the refrigerator door opened, revealing half-drunk beverages left there by the previous guests, I suppose.

At this point I gathered up my sweater, computer, and overnight bag and proceeded back down to the front desk. The front desk clerk was very apologetic and gave me another room. Why housekeeping and/or maintenance thought my original room was ready for occupancy is beyond me. Had this been my first visit, it would have left me with a very bad impression.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Johnson City

Reviewed September 8, 2011

Doubletree suites work well for our family. This hotel had spacious suites that were well maintained and comfortable. The staff was very accomodating, and the hotel was across the street from a mall with many restaurants in the vicinity. We travel often and stay at many 3 star and up hotels. We would readily stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank travlzoften
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We stayed over night to attend the race in bristol. We wanted to check in a little early told there would be about a thirty minute wait bc our room wasn't ready. Went to johnson city mall in the interim. Room was clean, pool was nice, front desk staff was nice. Not much more we could have wanted on a one night trip.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank dooley1024
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I stayed here for 2 weeks on a business trip and am a Diamond HHonors member. I'll cover the basics.

My initial welcome: This was the worst welcome to a Hilton chain hotel I've had in some time. First, they didn't welcome me to the hotel. Second, I explained that I checked in already online, but the desk clerk kept looking on the computer and said he couldn't find my reservation. Finally, someone else had to come over and get my packet which was already on the counter. Worst of all, nothing about the hotel was explained to me and I had to ask all of the questions. Really? Thanks.

Price: I was on a business rate of $77 and to be quite honest with you, I wouldn't want to pay any more than this for the room. The hotel is older and needs a good cleaning along with brighter lights in the halls. I felt like I was walking around a dungeon half the time.

Room: I was in a king bed standard room and it was one of the smaller Doubletree rooms I have been in. It was equipped with a mini fridge, which was helpful, and did have the typical chair + ottoman, a desk, and drawers for clothes. The TV was an LCD, however, it had poor reception. I noted other reviews of this hotel mentioned the same thing. I was frustrated that the bed side lamps didn't have an electrical outlet on their base, on either side. It's nice to plug your cell phone in on the nightstand, you know? Nope. Had to plug it in on the desk lamp which did have an outlet on the base.

Bathroom: Just ok. My room had a walk in shower, but lighting was dim. Toilet seat needed work and the toilet paper holder is anchored into the wall in an awkward spot. It's not easy to reach.

Security: A few problems here. My hotel lock/latch in the room was broken and I had to put in a service request to get it fixed. It was fixed by the hotel the same day I brought it to their attention, but I was displeased that the hotel doesn't inspect for issues like this. Also, and possibly a bigger problem, the side entry doors on the first floor have a message on them that says something like, "These doors are locked from 11pm to 6am Daily". Well, let me tell you this is NOT true. I walked right in after loading my car one morning early and it was before 6am. Big issue here. I told the front desk and it seemed I was brushed off.

Gym: It's a closet with the bare minimum. Luckily, the hotel does offer daily passes to the Johnson City Life and Fitness Center. Use those!

For HHonors members: You need a key card to access the 5th floor from the elevator, which is where the concierge lounge is. Or, you can simply take the stairs. Yes, anyone can come to the lounge! The lounge door doesn't have keycard access either, so if you live in a hotel all year and earn these Hilton perks, just be warned that John Doe with no status can also go to the lounge. This bothered me quite a bit and needs to be addressed by the hotel. It would probably save them money!

Fanatics (sports bar/restaurant in the hotel): Decent bar food with a lot of TVs. This is very convenient for watching sporting events. On Tuesdays I know they offer $1 drafts of Rolling Rock. They have a breakfast buffet every morning along with their menu. It's a fairly good spread and their omelets are delicious. The breakfast staff could be a little more friendly and they definitely need to fix their oatmeal on the buffet line. It's 80% water.

I didn't use them, but they do have indoor and outdoor pools. My room was clean, everything was functional, and the hotel is in a good location. It's close to a lot of restaurants and shopping. If you are loyal to Hilton, you don't have too many choices in town, but the Doubletree is just okay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Stayed at the Double Tree for business, the hotel is in a great location for shopping and dining out. However the exterior needs a make over. The service was excellent from beginning to end.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank PiettaEastRidge_TN
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Stayed here ten nights for business. Had a king room on the fourth floor. Hotel still has old tube tv's instead of flat panels. Shower heads in tubs are VERY low. I'm a little over six foot and the bottom of the shower head came down to my chin. Had to duck to get into the water. Bed was comfortable and air conditioning was excellent. It was hot (near 100 degrees) nearly every day and the room was cool and comfy at all times. Walls are a little thin. Had some members of an ASA softball team from Chicago staying in the next room and could hear nearly everything they said with no problem. Breakfast in the mornings for diamond honors members was free. You could pick an item off the menu or eat off the buffet. Ordered off the menu the first day and it took 40 minutes to receive our food. Ate off the buffet after that. Buffet was ok, Standard buffet fare, mostly the same each day. Waitress gave one round of coffee in the morning and then couldn't be found. If you needed more coffee you had to go to the lobby to get it. I'd stay there again in a pinch but hopefully they will update soon.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 7, 2011

This hotel was very nice & very clean. Nice staff. Pool area was nice. For the price the hotel should offer free breakfast but i must admit the free delicious cookies were a plus. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011