“Different, but good stuff”

Scratch Brick Oven Foodworks
Ranked #13 of 306 Restaurants in Johnson City
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Erwin, Tennessee
“Different, but good stuff”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Had some apprehension at first but man is the pizza great! These guys aren't on the ritzy side of town and they're not trying to impress you with some trendy building. They have a genuine wood fired oven and their focus is on the FOOD!! If you like pizza, don't pass them up looking for something better.

Visited November 2013

“Great by Tri-Cities Standards”
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

This is not the first time I have eaten at the restaurant and not much has changed. It still offers a really awesome atmosphere with free records to play. We were greeted quickly by the employees, which was great since we were the only ones there at noon. All members of my party got the gluten-free pizza option because it comes in a smaller 10". I highly recommend the pesto as a base and the pepperoni as a topping. Both are quite unique to this local restaurant. The only issues I had were that our crusts were pretty burnt - even to the center of the pizza. Secondly, one of the employees came over and shouted the f-bomb right next to my young brother. Besides these easy to fix problems, it was an enjoyable lunch!

1 Thank Zwespe
“Non-Traditional Pizza Experience”
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Loved the brick oven concept and the off-beat decor. The owner was entertaining and he explained how to order. Three of the four of us really liked the pizza. I thought it was ok, but I will admit I am picky. First time I ever went to a restaurant that was BYOB. My so and his girl friend picked out some records to spin on the record player.

Visited July 2014
Erwin, Tennessee
“If you like the decor at the FloraBama, you will love this place.”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

A real 60's joint! Paint peeling on an older home. Challenging parking, Funky little benches and tables outside,. Mismatched furnishing on the inside. Self seating. No table service,you place your order on a scratch pad. BYOB or grab a soft drink from their cooler, Select a record from the impressive collection of vinyl. Locate paper plates and plastic forks. Wait for your name to be called over the PA system. Enjoy a world class pizza from a wood fired stone and brick oven. My wife and i selected a 16 inch french crust pizza with red sauce, The toppings were andouille sausage, banana peppers, roasted red peppers, mushrooms, artichokes and tomatoes. When we picked up our pizza we saw it was larger than 16 inches, It would not fit in the box it was served in. The crust was slightly blackened on the edges. Perfectly cooked. The sauce was very thick and the toppings were plentiful. The andouille sausage was homemade and had just the correct amount of seasonings. The veggies were plump and fresh. The pizza was really outstanding. Although we had had limited interaction with the employees they were all cheerful and energetic, The owner, a spirit of the 60's, came over to our table and inquired if we had enjoyed our meal..John, Charlotte and I had a very pleasant conversation. .A nice ending to a excellent meal.

• Visited June 2014
Madisonville, TN
“Very cool pizza place!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I searched for the top-rated restaurant in Johnson City and found Scratch Brick Oven. We went and were not disppointed! At first we weren't sure how to order or what to order! It took a few minutes of reading the signs and scratch pads (where you order) to figure out what to do! The atmosphere was pretty cool inside the restaurant, with some retro vibes! The breadsticks and pizza were delicious, very different from typical pizza that you get from the chain restaurants. Overall, it was a really unique experience and we will definitely visit again when we are in the area!

• Visited June 2014