“Food pretty good, portions great, smell - not so good!”

Yamato Japanese Steakhouse
Ranked #178 of 308 Restaurants in Johnson City
Cuisines: Japanese
Alexandria, Virginia
“Food pretty good, portions great, smell - not so good!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I went with a group of 14. We were squeezed into a long table. This was NOT my first trip to Yamatos. I lived in JC for 16 years and frequented this location as soon as it came into being. This was my first trip back to Yamatos since 2004.

It wasn't quite what I remember. I ordered a triple combo. Shrimp, yaki, sesame chicken. All we wonderful, except the shrimp. These appeared to be little tiny salad shrimp. Very disappointing. HOWEVER, Flavor was exceptional as usual! I took home leftovers enough for two more meals.

I have to say the waitress was good. Prompt without being pushy. I asked for a details receipt at the counter when paying my portion of the bills. The receipt was incorrect on the amounts of each item...and took them nearly 10 minutes to write out!

Worst thing. Walking in and it smelled like bathroom. :-(

• Visited January 2014

Rumney, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“THIS IS NOT HIBACHI!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Not sure what's wrong with Japanese food in Johnson City Tennessee but this is not Hibachi. This is not a Japanese Steakhouse. I am aware that there are quite a few restaurants in the area passing off similar food as Hibachi but it is a very, very strange local phenomenon. What I received was a large late of meat, rice, and carrots cooked on a grill in the back, sincerely disappointing since I had been craving fresh vegetables and simply prepared meats typical of real Hibachi restaurants.

Visited January 2013
Blountville, Tennessee
“Excellent food”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We work nearby so we ordered our food to go. I got the Sesame Chicken. It was hot and fresh and very tasty. The price was a little high,but well worth it for the portion I received. It was easily enough food for two people. I will definitely eat here again.

• Visited March 2013
Johnson City, Tennessee
“Fresh and huge portions”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is my favorite Hibachi place in the area. Prepare to get 2-3 meals out of an order though, even at lunch! For $5.95, I promise you'll get more food than one human can eat. The spicy pepper chicken is a personal favorite. It is prepared right when you order it, so nothing has been sitting around.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank GAGirl2216
Crawfordville, Florida
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed July 1, 2006

I was excited to see what looked like a "mom and pop" Japanese place in my new neighborhood. It turns out that the menu is exactly like what you might find at a mall food court. You know you're in trouble when the only Japanese word on the menu is "teriyaki." The portions were large, and it wasn't especially bad... but I certainly wouldn't make an effort to get there. No miso, no sushi, no tonkatsu, no yakitori, no... well, no anything except a couple of different hibachi-style dishes, and you don't even get the hibachi "show" to make it acceptable.

2 Thank scyscyscy