“Good food, poor management”
Review of Sahib

Sahib
Ranked #8 of 316 Restaurants in Johnson City
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I visited this place few times, the food is very good and prices are reasonable. The only thing regarding that place, it need some upgrade, the place is dark, humid, bathrooms poorly maintained.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Don't let the exterior of this place fool you. It may look like a dive, but it is the best kept secret of the Tri Cities area!
I love, love, love this place. In a wasteland of fast food and jaded roadhouses, this is quite possibly one of the best places to eat in the area.
I'm from LA. I know great international food when I eat it. Sahib is such a great change of pace from the normal hum drum that surrounds you here. I don't think I've had such good Indian food this side of the Mississippi. The ingredients are fresh, the taste is exciting and the service is very good.
I've only been to the buffet several times. I don't normally like buffets, but Sahib is different. It is more of an upscale buffet where the food is carefully prepared and served in a rather upscale manner. There is a large selection of chutneys, sauces, desserts and entrees, so there's something for everyone, including us vegetarians. It is a great value for lunch, but come hungry! You'll want to try everything!
There is a myth that all Indian food is hot. This is not true. I have a very sensitive palate for hot items, and there are more than enough delicious things to keep you happy.
I will definitely go for entree service. The food is so awesome, you really can't lose.
The staff is very friendly and very helpful. If you have any questions about anything, they are at your service.
Give this place a try today, you will not be disappointed.
Oh, they are closed every Monday, FWIW.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

After reading many reviews, my boyfriend and I decided to give this place a try a couple weeks ago. SO AMAZING!

ATMOSPHERE: Like the other reviews say, ignore the sketchy-looking outside. The inside has a wonderful, dark, almost-hole-in-the-wall, yet lovely, authentic atmosphere, with intoxicating aromas and calming Indian music.

APPETIZERS/SOUP: As they were out of the mirchi (hot Indian pepper) pakoras, we got the vegetable pakoras--delicious! Loved the three sauces it came with. One was a cilantro chutney, one was an onion chutney, and the other was a thin, sweet and savory brown sauce (I'm guessing it was made with dates but I'm not sure). We also asked for some spicy sauce, and they brought us a bowl of delicious, rich, reddish hot sauce. No clue what was in there but it was REALLY good.
The Mulligatawny Palak Soup: OMG. The best soup I have ever had in my life. When I saw it I was a little off-put, I didn't realize it would be cooked down and blended like it was. (Looked almost porridge-like.) On first bite, I changed my tune. It was spiced perfectly, and the smooth, creamy texture from the lentils having cooked down was amazing.
PROBABLY THE BEST APPETIZER I'VE EVER HAD: Samosa Chaat. Don't ask questions. Just get it. I would kill for the recipe. Those chickpeas were spiced so perfectly, and a little sweet, too. The chickpea topping was so good that I wasn't even excited about getting to the vegetable samosa underneath, but it was excellent as well. And the portion was very generous. Will definitely be getting this again.

ENTREE: My boyfriend and I shared the owner's recommendation. I couldn't tell you its name, but it was vegetables simmered in a curry sauce that definitely had some coconut milk in it. We asked for "hot". While it was very spicy, it was not so much so that I couldn't enjoy it. (I think I still noticed my boyfriend going for the rich red sauce they had provided earlier.) Definitely ask for what's recommended; you can't go wrong!

DRINKS: Get the Indian beer. :-)

SERVICE: My boyfriend and I are both in the service industry. I was very impressed with our server--the owner, it turns out. She was probably responsible for any managerial duties like handling any issues that arose--I did hear her having a conversation with a man, probably the co-owner--waiting on 5 or 6 tables, serving drinks, giving orders to the kitchen, and answering questions about the menu, all in a very calm, timely way. I read one critical review that said there were children running around. One time, a young man asked her something and then went to the back. I did not find that distracting or problematic. If anything, I was simply more impressed at her ability to run a restaurant, be a server, handle her children--or one child, rather, who appeared for 5 seconds--and serve some of the best food I've ever had.

The only downside: I wish they had hot tea! And that the view to the kitchen were more obscured. It's a tad noisy and distracting if you happen to get the seat RIGHT next to it but hey--you can't have it all.

We will definitely be returning for some more fabulous food. I can't wait to try everything. We live in Abingdon but it's well worth the hour trip to Johnson City.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This restaurant offers a buffet with many choices of delicious Indian foods. It's a great place to stuff yourself. There are two or three types of soup, standard tandoor and vegetarian dishes, delicious bread, and the usual pudding dessert. I liked the availability of mango juice, which meant I didn't feel the desire to pay extra for a mango lassi. In past years I have also ordered off the menu, and the food has bern top notch.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We were travelling back from Smoky mountains to Philadelphia and on route 81 North. Randomly we googled for Indian restaurant and took a chance.

Being lived in North India for nearly two decades, I can differentiate between ordinary and authentic Punjabi (North Indian) food. Tadoori chicken was excellent. For the main course, we ordered Naan, Palak Paneer and Murg Makhani. Really awesome food. Moreover the staff (probably the owners themselves) are so courteous and friendly.

Highly recommend this place to everyone. It is really worth to travel 11 miles inside to taste real authentic North Indian food! I in fact suggested the person to open a restaurant in Philadelphia so that I can visit them frequently!!