“BBQ at its finest.”

Add it.
Dixie Barbecue Co
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I love this place. The food is awesome, and it hits the table fast. A bunch of sauces to choose from. GET THE WHITE SAUCE, you have to ask for it. Big drinks- Sweet Sweet Sweet Tea.
The decorations are very cool. Old car plate hanging, sailing memorabilia, local sports teams stuff.
Andy Griffith playing on repeat, and beach music playing all day.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

There's a saying that there's no such thing as bad BBQ. Dixie Barbecue proves that saying is false.

Ten or 15 years ago, Dixie had a decent reputation and above average food. I remembered that, so when I spent the night in Johnson City, I thought I'd try it again. Big mistake.

I got ribs and a pulled pork sandwich. The ribs - promised to be season with a Memphis-style dry rub on the menu - were totally unseasoned. Not even a trace a salt or pepper, much less a tasty dry rub. They were the most bland, flavorless excuse for food I've ever tasted.

The pulled pork in the pork sandwich was tasteless and dry - kind of like trying to eat a piece of chalk on a bun. Sure you could drown the sandwich with sauce, but then you'd be stuck eating the sauce.

East Tennessee is known for a vinegar-based North Carolina BBQ sauce. Dixie's sauce is a thick, ketchup-flavored debacle. I'd bet my right arm that Dixie's sauce is bought in a jar and passed off as their own recipe (a recipe that no one will be trying to imitate).

If you want good BBQ in Johnson City, try Red Pig or Firehouse. Definitely avoid Dixie at all cost.

My $30 would have been better spent if I'd just dropped it it the street. At least it wouldn't have gone to keeping this pathetic restaurant open to disappoint more customers.

3  Thank Jason W
Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

Cool, little eatery, but once through the door? Yea, pretty much down hill. I have eaten there twice and the results were identical.

Agree with the others, bbq seemed bland ... we had the pulled pork and pulled beef plates ... no smoked flavor, kind of dry. Even with 2 plates for $20, there are too many other options in the Tricities that have the same or better atmosphere and better prices.

1  Thank Tngator69
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We loved the place. Staff were friendly. Music was good, it made you want to dance so you could make room for more food. We never ran out of anything to drink. They even have a diabetic BBQ sauce no other BBQ place around here does. We loved the whole experience of the place. I think the people giving it a bad review must have been having a bad day because of their own problems. I know there will be bad days at any restaurant but if you are a fair person you will give a restaurant another try. I love Dixie Barbecue Co.

1  Thank Nicole W
Reviewed February 23, 2012

This restaurant is well liked in our area. I will admit that my favorite BBQ restaurant in the area is The Firehouse.

1  Thank Gary A