“Awful barbecue and got short changed to boot!!”
Review of Dixie Barbecue Co - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Dixie Barbecue Co
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Warner Robins GA
“Awful barbecue and got short changed to boot!!”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Went with a group of co-workers. Most were from Johnson City, three of us were visiting on business. Went at lunch. Seated promptly. I ordered a bbq pork plate. The bbq pork was dry and tasteless. Virtually no smoked flavor. Had the onions and fried potatoes. VERY salty. All in the group commented that they were so salty they were inedible. BBQ beans were good. Went to the counter to pay and the owner quoted me an amount to pay. Got my change and went to walk out the door when I realized I had been short changed. Long story short, when I asked if the amount he quoted me was correct he said yes....twice....and then when I insisted he short changed me he then said "no, that's not that amount". He shoved 7 cents into my hand and walked away. The problem was he still owed me another two dollars. Decided it wasn't worth the trouble for two bucks. Would not recommend this place for the food and would DEFINITELY not recommend this place for the math skills!!

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank Bobbareeno

Emmaus
“Very good BBQ in a small setting with the usual Southern charm”
Reviewed December 6, 2010

The BBQ was pretty good; ribs and pulled pork are our standards. The decor was the usual charming Southern BBQ. The owner came to our table and helped us navigate through the many different sauces available.

anywhere
“Disappointing”
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I visited Dixie BBQ over the Labor Day Holiday weekend. Overall the the BBQ scores a three out of ten. The smokey wood aroma outside smelled promising. However, once seated and served, the ribs were lukewarm in temperature and required scraping with a knife to remove the meat. That is simply unacceptable for ribs. The "Hot Fries" were simply seasoned fries and there was nothing hot about them other than the temperature. The pork BBQ sandwich was tender but oversauced and a skimpy portion for the size of bun provided. The corn bread was so dry, it turned to powder when I attempted to use my fork on it. The sauces were decent but nothing remarkable. I found the regular table sauce (dark brown) tasted the best. The mustard sauce was too sweet but appropriately mustardy and the "Devils Dew was too vinegary. The Hotter than Hell sauce was second runner up to the table sauce but definitely not hotter than hell. I did not try the mayonaise based "Alabama Sauce" or the dietetic sauce. The waitstaff was attentive and friendly. There was one really crude employee clearing tables. I did not need to know the fellow had to pass gas as he loudly exclaimed, "I gotta fart!" Good for you buddy. He seemed very pleased with his body emanations. Maybe I caught Dixie BBQ on an off night....From all of the memorabilia and news articles in the place it would appear the owner is real serious about making great BBQ. Maybe he was out of the kitchen the night I visited. Oh, and maybe some southern music would have been more appropriate than the North Carolina Shag jukebox blaring. Save that stuff for the beach.

Bristol, Virginia
“One of the top three or four in the area”
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I went and tried a pork sandwich and a beef sandwich and they were both great. This place is not as interesting but also not as fussy as the Ridgewood up at Elizabethton, and probably better barbecue than Braeden's, which is my usual spot for lunch in Kingsport, but all are good.

“Good BBQ. Not the cleanest. Nice...”
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Good BBQ. Not the cleanest. Nice environment for a BBQ place. Reasonably priced.