“Will Go Again!”
Review of Tupelo Honey

Tupelo Honey
Reserve with OpenTable
Tupelo Honey is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 311 Restaurants in Johnson City
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We took some out of town guests to the restaurant and since it was relatively new in town, we hadn't been there before. Was totally surprised that on a Thursday evening the parking lot was packed and there was a waiting line. We were told 25 min. wait. We enjoyed looking at the train display showing the stores/buildings of Johnson City in the 1940's and were pleasantly surprised when we were texted that our table was ready only 15 min. into our wait! For our appetizer, we ordered the fried okra (aka Southern popcorn). It was the largest portion of an appetizer I've ever seen and was absolutely the BEST okra I've ever tasted! Our guests agreed. I ordered the Shrimp & Grits! WOW! My husband had the meatloaf and our guests both ordered the Country Fried Chicken with Country Ham & Marsala sauce. Everyone agreed the food was tasty and reasonably priced. Our waiter was pleasant and was very prompt at refilling our drinks. We look forward to returning and trying some more of their great food!

Josh F, Marketing Coordinator at Tupelo Honey, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Buckeyenina,

Thank you so much for your review! We love to hear about our guests having great experiences with friends and family and are honored that we get to be a part of it. We'd like to have y'all back in on us, how's a $25 gift card sound? Send your mailing address to info@tupelohoneycafe.com and I'll get it in the mail!

Josh

Reviewed July 20, 2014

My daugter and I ate a late lunch at Tupelo Honey yesterday and we were both very disappointed with the quality of the food. We arrived and the hostess said it would be a 30 minute wait (2:00pm in the afternoon). When we told her we were leaving, she suddenly had a table come available ("first come first serve table"). I ordered a microbrew and it was very good. My daughter ordered a salad and I ordered the "Black bean burger with sweet potato fries". The salad was boring and my burger was a "pile of black mush". The sweet potatoe fries were cold and tasted old. Needless to say, we did not finish the meal. The waitress asked if we needed a box but did not inquire as to why we still had most of our food remaining on the plate. The whole restaurant was cold and drafty and the bathrooms were too small to accommodate patrons for the size of the restaurant. We were so thankful we had not waited to have such a disappointing meal. We don't ever plan to return. I'm sad to say that this restaurant will have a hard time making it in Johnson City after the "new wears off".

5  Thank jimmie1998
Josh F, Marketing Coordinator at Tupelo Honey, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Jimmie,

I'm sorry that you had such an experience in our restaurant. It's clear that the food was not up to the quality that we seek to provide. Thank you for letting us know so that we can take steps to ensure we don't make the same mistakes twice. I would like to talk with you more about your experience if you would be willing? Send an email to info@tupelohoneycafe.com if you are.

Best,

Josh F.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

We arrived at 5:30 on a rainy day and the restaurant was already almost full. Our server, Jessie, was great. All the staff seemed to be really hustling. I ordered Southern Fried Chicken Saltimbocca with Country Ham and Mushroom Marsala. It was very good. One caveat, there is not much country ham so don't expect much. The sauce was to die for and there were some perfectly cooked asparagus spears on top. It came with smashed cauliflower--also good. I also had the Holmes Wrecker cocktail. Made with whiskey, vermouth and orange bitters--really good! Hubby had the Nutty Fried Chicken which was indeed thoroughly encrusted with nuts and topped with a milk gravy, and asparagus spears. It cam with smashed sweet potatoes as a side. He really enjoyed it. The setting is a restored, historical train station and it looks amazing, especially to those of us who knew it when it was falling down and about to be condemned. Mondays all pints are $2, Tuesday $3 martinis and Wednesday's special is half price wine. The food is not health food, although there are vegetarian dishes on the menu. Everything is made with fresh, unadulterated, produce, meat, and ingredients. When we left--feeling full and happy--there were MANY people waiting for a table.

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Overrated and unimpressive. Descent food, mediocre service, nothing impressive. Told we had a 45 minute wait, threatened to leave 75 minutes in and were seated when lots of seats had been available including the booth we were seated in. Not at all impressed.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

I had the vegetarian open face sandwich with the real deal french fries. Yummy. After taking our order, including a nice glass of vino, the waitress asked if we wanted a biscuit and jam. Well who would say no to that! I took a bite and immediately felt my eyes get damp. It was the closest to the biscuits my grandmother made that I have ever found. Then I left and forgot to buy the biscuit mix! Darn. And you cannot buy them online.