“A High Recommendation from a Picky Business Traveler” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 302 Restaurants in Johnson City
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Spring Hill, Tennessee
“A High Recommendation from a Picky Business Traveler”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

I travel a lot on business so finding a place that is local and healthy (uses fresh ingredients) can be a challenge. I am SO GLAD I found Babylon. I just came in for lunch and had beef shawarma - tender and perfectly seasoned. It came with a side of the eggplant salad and the hummus - with fresh bread. Again, all of it - perfect. I expected with the medical community being such a strong presence here that the place would be packed! Granted, I came at an off time (3PM) - but it was a little quiet. Coincidentally, I actually also appreciate that there are no TVs blaring in the place...made it a lot more relaxing. If you want a fantastic, inexpensive, HEALTHY meal - made with the freshest ingredients (believe me, you can TASTE the difference), ditch the chains and come here! You'll be glad you did!!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Joel-Lori-M

Kingsport, TN.
“Stunningly good lunch in an unlikely location.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

....like a little strip shopping center. We stopped here on a whim for lunch a few days ago, and fell in love with it. Not much in the way of seating or ambiance, but the food makes up for it. I had the Samboosak, which for lack of a better description was like a Middle Eastern egg roll. Stuffed with beef, onions, pine nuts and parsley, then deep fried and served with some pickled red onions, cucumber slices, tomatoes and several different dips, they were delicious. My wife had the Dolma and stuffed cabbage (available on Fridays only) which was grape leaves stuffed with beef, rice, collards and all sorts of other concoctions, and really just a unique taste. We got a little pita bread with our dishes, and it was a nice compliment to everything. They serve Pepsi products as well as tea, Turkish coffee, and some other Middle Eastern juices and sodas. They also have a dessert menu which featured Baklava and a Biscuit Cake, which is layered biscuits with cocoa, coconut, ground cardamon and vanilla. The service was fast and friendly, and the prices are more than reasonable. Overall just a really, really great food find for us, and it's probably a good thing this place it 20 miles or so from us.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JDHoss
Elizabethton, Tennessee
“Better than I thought it might be.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

This is a small restaurant in a strip mall that can be a little difficult to get into. Previously it was a deli type restaurant but with new owners plus a different type of menu, to bad not many customers there to enjoy it. Although not one of the types of cuisine I regularly think of when I dine out; however, a friend chose this as one of her favorite places and did enjoy it. I had the mixed kabobs (beef, chicken, lamb) that were all marinated and grilled to perfection. They were very accommodating when I had to substitute the rice due to dietary restrictions. The hot bread was delicious and freshly made. My friend had the eggplant stew with rice and carried out two orders of eggplant salad or stew for co-workers. First time I had Turkish type coffee and although good, I prefer plain, black, regular coffee. My friend finished the meal with a special blend of hot tea served in an elegant glass on an ornate saucer with a delicate tiny spoon to stir the spices. Server was very friendly and helpful in explaining or answering questions about the dishes. This will be on the list of favorite lunch restaurants we typically visit. Weather could have been a factor for not having many customers today; but the server said in the warmer months it is very crowded especially with the outside tables to enjoy this wonderful food. I would definitely recommend this establishment.

Kingsport, Tennessee
“Delicious Food & Good Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

Excellent food. We had the hummus, beef shawarma, lamb shank, eggplant stew, and biryani rice. Everything was delicious. The server was very friendly and accommodating. You can get an entree for around $12-$15; it's worth it! Highly recommended.

1 Thank Wanderprone
Knoxville, Tennessee
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Mediterranean and Middle Eastern food I've had.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We had the Baba Ghannouj and Eggplant salad for and appetizer and they were both amazing. We had the Shawarma platter and chicken curry as entries and they were both incredible. If you want real middle eastern food cooked by a real middle eastern chef check this place out, you will not be dissatisfied!

• Visited December 2013