“Gem near the Doe River Gorge”
Review of Carnegie Hotel

Carnegie Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Reviewed July 4, 2009

We are staying at the Carnegie in Johnson City while the kids are at camp at the Doe River Gorge. What a great experience. The rooms feel like the Ritz Carlton and the service is great. The food is awesome. You can get a $99 deal at AAA.

Gotta run to do fun stuff, but read all of the reviews...this place is really elegant for a weekend getaway in TN.

1  Thank FLarchitect

Reviewed June 16, 2009

The staff of The Carnegie was kind and helpful, good demeanor, never giving the image of subservience--I liked that. The front desk was helpful with several requests, The bartender was knowledgeable, friendly and good at suggesting drink options. The restaurant was fairly priced, and very comfortable for a long relaxing lunch. The rooms were large and comfortable and felt like home.

I attended a wedding there, and the wedding meal was impeccable! Everyone enjoyed the meal, the setting, and the service.

Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed February 9, 2009

My husband and I stayed one night at the Carnegie on our way to a funeral in Asheville, NC. This was the perfect place to stop and rest. The rooms are HUGE and the food is excellent! We purchased the "dinner and a movie" package which turned out to be a great bargain. We could choose any movie from the pay-per-view channel, plus we received a $75 voucher towards dinner (which was delivered to our room per our request). The bed was incredibly comfortable and the bathroom was the biggest bathroom I've ever seen in a hotel! Unbelievably clean and the staff were wonderful and kind. The spa and fitness room were convenient and everything was tastefully decorated and relaxing. I will return to the Carnegie any time I get the opportunity. Loved this old hotel!! It's a combination of relaxation, romance, and style, all rolled up into one great experience.

Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leo35
Reviewed December 4, 2008

We stayed at the Carnegie Hotel over the Thanksgiving weekend while visiting family in the area. When we first drove in (at night) I was a little concerned about the neighborhood, but the staff assured me that it was completely safe. The lobby is beautiful, the staff was extremely nice and helpful, the room was gorgeous, and the bathroom was spacious with a separate tub and shower. The room was immaculate (very important to us). The neighborhood IS safe, right across the street from the main entrance to ETSU. The fitness center has four cardio machines and some weights; perfect for a quick workout before turkey. As my father put it, "it's the nicest hotel in 100 miles." The restaurant is considered "upscale," and while we didn't eat there, it appeared very nice. We had room service for breakfast, and they made simple eggs and toast taste wonderful. When we decided to extend our stay a few nights, they gladly gave us a discounted rate for the second two nights. Overall, EXCELLENT place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank IRINC
Reviewed September 13, 2008

I expected class....but this was tops! From the moment we
stepped into the lobby, I was right at home, even in an elegant
atmosphere. Very quiet rooms, which is important to me when
I travel. The staff ..excellent. I will make this a permanent stop
on business trips.
Although I didn't have time to visit the salon, I will on some future
trip.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We stayed at the Carnegie to celebrate my son's birthday! We did research prior to booking our reservation and was really anxious about staying at this historical hotel!!!
I must say that from the time we checked in to the time that we left....I was awe-struck and thoroughly impressed with the hotel. The hotel was $129 a night and the room was impressive, we had a shower, double sink, tub and a desk. The bed was really comfortable and the atmosphere of the hotel was impeccable!!!
This was definitely the best hotel that we have stayed in for this price!!!! I give it 5 stars!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed in Johnson City for one night on the front end of our vacation whitewater rafting and visiting the Smoky Mountains.

We were excited to find the Carnegie hotel as an alternative to the typical chain hotels that are so prevalent these days. After a long drive in the car, we were delighted to arrive at the Carnegie. The hotel is very welcoming and immediately walking inside we were greeted by a very friendly woman at the reception desk (which is all beautiful old woodwork). Despite it's age, the place is wonderfully kept up.

Both the bedroom and the bathroom were surprisingly large and very clean. The bed was a great wooden sleigh bed and I was quite happy with the linens (something I tend to be quite pick about). Our large bed was quite soft which bothered my boyfriend but not me.

In the morning before heading out we enjoyed a great breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. All in all a great experience and we'd definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)