“I love older hotels, this was a wonderful safe location!”
Review of Carnegie Hotel

Carnegie Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
“I love older hotels, this was a wonderful safe location!”
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

The food in the restaurant was wonderful! Breakfast was delicious! The mocha was the beat I've ever tasted! The bathroom was huge with a tub, a seperate shower, and a nice vanity! The staff was nice and the room was beautiful!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Sugarmamatammy
Beth L, Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Firstly, we would like to thank you for staying with us and we are pleased that your stay was a pleasant one. We are also delighted that you enjoyed the restaurant as well as the amenities that are provided in each of our lavish rooms. If your travels ever bring you back to the area we certainly hope that you can return to stay with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Martin, Tennessee
Reviewed November 8, 2013

The Carnegie hotel is stunning. A beautiful old building, it has the feel of something haunted. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, and honored my room requests. The rooms are large with wonderfully high ceilings. Two sinks, both inside and outside the bathroom add extra '"getting ready" room. I had business at the Millenium Center, which is connected with an enclosed walkway. It was perfect for a rainy cold day in Johnson City. A parking garage is located conveniently behind the hotel. Although I didn't see any ghosts, I enjoyed the wonderful spirit of this beautiful place.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful...you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kimberly P
Beth L, Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. We are elated that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and we appreciate your kind words regarding our property as well as our staff. It is our goal to provide the best customer service and we are happy that we could make your stay a memorable one. It is our hope that if you return to Johnson City that we will have the pleasure of serving you again!

Best Regards,

Beth Long
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel is basically alright, but it is very lacking in the details. It was a very odd mix of both high- and low-end. Now, I will start by saying if you typically stay at standard, lower to mid-level chain hotels, you will think this place is aces. But, as they are supposedly a four-diamond level hotel, I am basing my review on that. (To be sure I was being fair, I looked at AAA’s list of 4-diamond hotels, many at which I have stayed, to make sure I wasn’t judging it too harshly.) I will also state that perhaps I would be more generous in my rating had it not been for room service. As part of my relaxing weekend getaway, I was looking forward to a nice breakfast. When I called down, they told me that a large party had just left so it would “be a few minutes” longer. So, I gave them as much time as I could – an hour, before I had to leave for an appointment. I called back down to find out if it was on its way up because I was running out of time. At that point, I was told they never entered the ticket. Human error – I get that. Happens to the best of us. It was that other than an apology – even as I went to the front desk to buy crackers for breakfast and explained what happened again, nothing was done to make up for the situation… an offer for breakfast the next day, a lunch discount… nada.

On a more positive note, upon entry, the hotel looks lovely and clean. The rooms are of a goodly size and the bathrooms are large. Although the toiletries are average, they provide a higher-end, name-brand coffee in the room. Unfortunately, the hotel is lacking in refinement – those little details that can either make you feel special or make you feel like something is off about the place if they are lacking. For instance, the furniture is pretty enough, but it is worn and scratched. The electrical cords were not behind the furniture/refrigerator, but hanging along the wall. (They didn’t even hide it in conduit or cord keepers.) While the coffee was lovely, the condiments were those same cheap packs you find in motels. The elevator is in very poor shape, with the brass being scratched and worn. The wallpaper along the third floor wall corridor has a big scratch along it. While I am speaking of wallpaper, the wallpaper in my room was loose at some of the seams. The bathroom also had some staining and what looked like efflorescence on the ceiling. And more importantly I think sandpaper might be more comfortable than what it is they use for toilet paper and tissues… definitely bottom of the barrel. They also provided plastic cups instead of real glasses. Another little detail… although they really tried to be fancy with how they hang towels in the bathroom, they might want to advise their staff that the tags aren’t supposed to be hanging down the front… kind of ruins the visual. And I know that’s really being ridiculously picky – but it goes to my larger point that really fine hotels pay attention to those details.

Again, on a more positive note, the staff was very friendly. They seem like really nice people. Housekeeping seemed to work particularly hard, and did a good job. I just don’t get the sense that they are particularly trained in how to be proactive. As I was checking out, the gentleman at the desk, instead of asking me about my stay (because I would have been honest), actually said, “Feel free to join us again.” I’m sure he didn’t mean it to come out that way, but I was thinking I have absolutely no incentive to ever go back. I would almost rather stay at a lower end hotel because at least you know not to expect too much and won’t be disappointed because it’s trying to be something it’s not. I was really looking forward to my stay, and I left disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank CobbCoGA
Beth L, Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for your feedback concerning your recent stay here at the Carnegie Hotel. I hope that you enjoyed your tour with the Appalachian Ghost Walks as it is a unique, fun, and valued attraction in our area. As East Tennessee’s Premier AAA 4 Diamond Hotel we set our service standards very high and apologize that your expectations were not met. Your concerns regarding the conditions of our property, and your room in-house hotel room have been communicated to our maintenance and housekeeping staffs. Please know that both departments are working diligently to improve our property! Our apologies in regard to your room service order, I can assure your experience is not a common occurrence. Our Food & Bev Director been alerted to your experience and we hope to prevent any issue such as this from occurring again. We appreciate your feedback, as it allows us to improve on what matters most, to our valued guests. If your travels ever bring you back to Johnson City, we do hope that you will give us the opportunity to make everything right and better serve you.
Florence, Kentucky
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Weekend getaway for 20 yr anniversary.The Carnegie did not disappoint! Beautifully appointed rooms (bed more comfy than Westin!) And gorgeous hotel. Breakfast at the Wellington was a treat! Staff was on top of everything.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Bea P
Beth L, Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are honored that you chose our hotel to spend your anniversary and are pleased to hear that we did not disappoint. Our staff is always diligent in attending to every guest need in order to ensure a pleasant and exceptional stay. Congratulations on twenty years of marriage and we hope to see you again in the near future!
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 27, 2013

As we drove into Johnson City, we could not have imagined such a wondrous hotel was waiting for us. The staff was friendly and helpful, the lobby immaculate. The room was spacious and extremely well appointed, as was the generous-sized bathroom. We decided to spend the day in the hotel, and went to the bar for a drink. We also ate in the restaurant. Both very rewarding. At first, there weren't many people about. But soon a large crowd gathered. So I guess it's not an undiscovered gem after all. I asked if the Carnegie was a chain. They said no. I was dissappointed. I was hoping there were hotels like this all across America.

Room Tip: Can't imagine there's a dissappointing room anywhere in the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Beth L, Manager at Carnegie Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to spend a day in our restaurant and bar, Wellingtons. If your travels ever bring you back to Johnson City, we hope to serve you again!
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed there recently and was very satisfied though it was for buisness I would stay there again for buisness or leisure.The staff was very friendly and the rooms were a fair size.The reastraunt was good not great though again there staff/waitress was very friendly.So if your in the area check them out.

Room Tip: They were all very spacious as well as the huge bathroom.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
hayesville, nc
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This was a stopover on a drive from Virginia back to North Carolina and what a pleasant surprise. You truly felt that you were taken back a hundred years in time but that everything was in pristine condition. The room was spacious and impeccably decorated in the early 1900's period; the bathroom was enormous and spotless; the hotel staff was very friendly. They had a fitness center and spa and a period dated bar and restaurant. Complimentary coffee in the lobby.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family