“A nice historic hotel”

Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Chicago, Illinois
“A nice historic hotel”
Reviewed June 16, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed in Johnson City for one night on the front end of our vacation whitewater rafting and visiting the Smoky Mountains.

We were excited to find the Carnegie hotel as an alternative to the typical chain hotels that are so prevalent these days. After a long drive in the car, we were delighted to arrive at the Carnegie. The hotel is very welcoming and immediately walking inside we were greeted by a very friendly woman at the reception desk (which is all beautiful old woodwork). Despite it's age, the place is wonderfully kept up.

Both the bedroom and the bathroom were surprisingly large and very clean. The bed was a great wooden sleigh bed and I was quite happy with the linens (something I tend to be quite pick about). Our large bed was quite soft which bothered my boyfriend but not me.

In the morning before heading out we enjoyed a great breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. All in all a great experience and we'd definitely go back.

• Liked — historic charm
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Michigan
Reviewed May 8, 2008

While visiting our daughter at ETSU, we booked this hotel through travelocity at $99/night. We were thrilled with our stay! The rooms were very clean, neat and spacious. The ambiance was extravagant but comfortable. There were weddings and graduation parties taking place the weekend we were there, but we never heard a thing.

The lobby restrooms offered cloth towels. I loved that!

We will plan to book this hotel everytime we visit our daughter-its right outside of ETSU. Perfect location

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 11, 2008

5 girls stayed here for a surprise 50th b-day (4 of us flew in from Los Angeles). We had four beautiful rooms - 2 adjoining rooms on each side of the hall so we could visit each other easily-fun! The staff was the nicest group of people and got very excited about the surprise and went out of their way to make this a great experience. Everyone was quick to accommodate us for anything we needed. The rooms were beautiful, clean, comfortable, quiet and cozy. One of us used the spa services and was very happy with it. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner in the restaurant - all of the food was very good. Our dinner waiter (he was great) made the bananas flambe' at the table for us, what a nice show! He even suggested we do tequila shots - we opted for vodka instead. It was a great stay and we would all recommend this highly.

• Liked — Rooms and staff.
  • Disliked — Everything was great.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
Chattanooga
Reviewed January 2, 2008

This will be brief, because the Carnegie is simply outstanding. I have stayed there on 3 or 4 occasions in the past couple of years, and have nothing but positive experiences to report. From the staff, to the cleanliness, to the ambiance...you name it. Other hotels could learn from the Carnegie!

Stayed October 2007
Seattle
Reviewed December 23, 2007

I had a delightful time at the Carnegie. The room and bathroom were both huge. Everything was clean. The furnishings in the room were nice. I agree with another reviewer about the low wattage light bulbs that are inadequate for reading, but that seems to be the situation in most hotels now. Check in and out was fine. Staff were all polite and friendly. Can't say anything else about the hotel as I was in meetings all day and actually spent very little time in the hotel.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
Johnson City
Reviewed April 11, 2007

We stayed at this hotel when we moved to the area. What a terrific place to be! It has wonderful amenities, fabulous food and beautiful atmosphere! Our children were welcome and we all felt like royalty! We actually stayed a total of 2 1/2 weeks at the property since the moving company was delayed in bringing our things to us when we first moved to Johnson City. We loved it and ended up using this hotel again for different functions after we got settled into the area.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
Aledo, Texas
Reviewed November 15, 2006

I used Expedia to book my room, so it was charged immediately days ahead of my visit. Upon review of my credit card statement, I noticed that the hotel charged it AGAIN two days after my stay. I have no complaints about the hotel itself, nicely furnished, courteous staff, as others have stated, but double charging brings this review down to the bottom. It doesn't get much worse. I will call and i'm sure they will apologize profusely and credit my account, but since this happened earlier this year at the Anatole in Dallas, TX, i'm beginning to wonder just how many people get double charged and don't notice.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple