“Posing as luxury”

Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Memphis, Tennessee
“Posing as luxury”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is a tough call. The situation is that it's all dressed up but underneath it's not what it looks like. Carnegie poses as a luxury hotel. We got it on Priceline for $89 but the regular rate is $139. The lobby is all dressed up with antique reproductions and the staff can tell you how old the furniture is supposed to be. They didn't know they were talking to a design professional. Every room has a sleigh bed and crisp linens. However, the pillow top mattresses are clearly over 10 years old...they are spring mattresses and the pillowtops are worn thin. The entire hotel has a fresh air system. A vent in the room blows cold air with no way to turn it off. The vent was blowing directly on the bed. We stuffed a wash cloth in it as it was 36 outside and we didn't need fresh, frigid air. They pose as luxury and the staff is dressed nicely and very professional. However, there's no bellman, no valet and the restaurant has TV's all over the bar that makes it feel like a sports bar instead of a restaurant in a luxury hotel. All in all the Priceline price was better than budget hotels. We would stay there again but only at discount rates.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't have the fresh air vent over the bed
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank TGPMemphis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Nashville Tennessee USA
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was my first stay, but it won't be my last. This hotel was recommended by a friend, and I am glad she did. I was late getting there, and very tired from my trip--anxious about an interview the next day-- and the girl at the desk was just great. She was helpful and efficient and really put my concerns to rest.
The room was great--so beautiful and comfortable--I felt like I was being pampered at a luxury hotel. The hostess in the restaurant the next morning was great--I told her that I needed to get my breakfast quickly--and she took care of it herself--bringing my food very fast. Even the man who opened the door gave me really good directions to the ETSU campus area I needed to find. I was so completely happy with my experience and will be so glad to go there again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This was the first time we stayed at the Carnegie in Johnson City & we loved it. The hotel is very elegant with true southern charm. The rooms are huge & well decorated.
The staff are all very hospitable & friendly.
We had a small suite looking towards the train tracks. Yes there are train tracks close by but they are actually one of my favorite things about this hotel. You hear the train off in the distance & it sounds so cool we love it. The train noise was never a problem. So get a room looking towards the back of the hotel.
Mini Dome is almost directly across the street.
Only one con:
The room service delivery of our breakfast one morning wasn't great. Most of the food upon arrival was cold. The scrambled eggs had no cover on the dish when they came. I opened the door & there were my scrambled eggs exposed for all to see & get cold. That was odd in such a nice hotel. Also the hotel has no food Sunday evenings. Would have been nice if they did.
We ate in the restaurant on day & everything tasted good.
Overall I look forward to going back. I love this hotel & highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel was great for us.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

The Carnegie is one of my favorite hotels in the south. It's luxurious, but still comfy. The rooms are spacious with lovely sleigh beds and fluffy duvets. The bathroom is modern and ginormous. The staff is friendly and helpful.

I've seen some people complain about the restaurant, but I quite enjoyed it. And the bar is friendly yet dark and sexy. What's not to like?

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Germantown
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at the Carnegie Hotel because it was about the only hotel with availability by the time we went to book our hotel for the race. We were very happy with the outcome. It was a short 30 minute drive to the track, but was away from the noise and crowds that come with race weekend. The hotel is lovely. Our room was spacious and the bathroom was bigger than many hotel rooms I have stayed in before. We will definitely stay here again for races.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Loved this hotel. It's old character charm, with newer amenities. The King room I had beautiful wood furniture, a Tiffany lamp, wood sleigh bed, and a huge bathroom. The bathroom had double sinks, separate bath tub from the shower. Loved the coffered wood ceilings when entering the hotel, as well as the large wooden elevator. The hallways were wide and kind freaked me out a little since it reminded me of the movie I had watched the day before, "The Shining." Lol! Any ways, the service and staff was great and the hotel is beautiful. They have a Spa on the lower level which I hear is great and I didn't get the time to use. They also have a good, nice restaurant connected to it. Highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Having a daughter at ETSU for 4 years we always tryed to stay at the Carnegie as it is so convienant to the campus and affordable. Rooms are very well appointed .A Johnson City tradition of many Buc's Soccer game weekends, Graduation and other weekends.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family