“terrible customer service”

Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Johnson City, Tennessee
“terrible customer service”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Following a reservation mix-up(we booked a room as a gift for a visiting couple but they were asked to pay at the front desk), I called to remedy the situation. The manager I spoke with was very rude. At first, he would not even consider remedying the situation(I just wanted their card to be refunded and then pay with mine) and argued with me at length, repeatedly telling me it was 'my fault.' He even went as far as to insinuate I was a fraud and a thief when I accidentally provided him with a different credit card than the one that I booked with. I expected better service from a hotel that purports to be luxurious. I will never book a room at the Carnegie again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Heidi A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The Carnegie Hotel was built in the 1890's as a railroad hotel. It was totally rebuilt/renovated a little over a decade ago to look much as it did back in its prime.

We stayed here one night on a road trip through eastern Tennessee. The lobby is very nice at first look, with some big chairs around a fireplace. A closer look showed the chairs to be faded and rather dusty. It kind of looked like a movie set best seen from a bit of distance.

Our room was large with a comfy mattress. The room had a couch made of something like velvet, only it had stains all over it. Otherwise the room was quiet and we didnt hear the traffic, even through we faced the highway.

The bathroom was very clean, but here too is another example of the oddness. The tub was large and sturdy, in keeping with the period. The shower was a plastic stall in the corner. Clean, but it didnt fit the rest of the room. Its like the renovation ran out of money or some features were added later.

The restaurant bar was fairly well stocked with about 10 single malt Scotches, a few Irish whiskies, and some Tennessee bourbons. The shots were a bit stingy I thought. There are two nice areas to sit and talk over a few drinks.

The restaurant I think was called the Wellington. I had the "deconstructed wellington" which is basically Beef Wellington with the ingredients piled on top of each other instead of rolled together. It was ok, but the piled up approach was odd, as if they couldnt do it properly. My wife had a petite filet mignon; again just ok. Her dessert was burned and tough - pretty sure it had been through a microwave. Altogether I would call the restaurant nothing special. (Our tab came to over $110, so I expected special.)

The staff was friendly and the hotel was quiet with clean beds. That's about it. I dont think we would go out of our way to stay again.

Room Tip: Our room faced the highway, but was still very quiet. We never heard any noise at all. I would sug...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 15, 2012

loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the business center. comfy leather chairs, fancy lawyer desk, complimentary printing & photocopying, and best of all, the computers have real access (none of those annoying sheraton restrictions). free parking, free wifi. helpful and knowledgeable staff. spacious rooms (huge bathroom) with sleigh beds! oversized windows, tapestries, glass accents, real wood, love love love! right across from hospital, super convenient.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

One night stop on a business trip. Was met at the door by a very nice staff member and front desk staff. No it's not a 5 star but it is well worth the price and yes it's is a nice place to stay. The room was very large and the bed was soft and comfortable. The bathroom was very large. The room had a pull out bed couch. Large flat screen tv. The room and hotel was very clean. I did hear some traffic noise but it was not bad. The restaurant was ok but I would of rather eaten elsewhere, only because the menu is limited. I parked in front of the hotel and it was fine. The hotel is next to ETSU. I did not know there was a garage and did not see it until the next morning. I did read others complaints but to me they were unfounded. Again this is not a 5 star but it is well with the price and I would return.

• Stayed December 2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a beatiful hotel located along a busy, multi-lane highway between East Tennessee State University's gym and a railroad track. No matter which side you stay on, you will have noise. But, the rooms are very large, as are the bathrooms, and they are very, very nicely appointed. The bed was very comfortable and we slept well despite traffic noise that the air conditioner did not cover. The hotel and rooms have very large windows which are, unfortunately, not soundproof.

We wemt tp the restaurant one night and found that although it was a little pricey,the food was delicious and the portions were of good size. On going out and returning later, we found that there were a lot of local people eating at the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Greenville, SC
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I travel to JC every month and have stayed here a few times. There is one front desk staff person 'Chris' whom I have not seen crack a smile EVER. Brisk & Cold is his mantra even to his fellow workers while actually berating one of them for a minor incident in front of me! Makes the whole experience of the hotel go from good to just average. I agree with the other reviewer, restaurant is just 'so-so'. As a result of this one person, I usually stay at another hotel with friendlier staff as I do not feel welcomed there...Time for some front desk changes I think!

Room Tip: Also be aware that at 5 am if you are on the alley side (I think Wednesdays or Thursdays), a garbage...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 25, 2012

More of a vertical haute motel with adequate but not really luxury attributes. On the plus side, the public lobby is grand, the rooms are large and clean, bathrooms are large but NO BATHROBES as 5* hotels usually offer --also clean BUT restaurant Wellington's is perhaps 1* - really indifferent food and closed from 2-4 so one must order the same poor food room service (19% gratuity included) - salads advertised with "flowers" had none-- there seems to be no service elevator and I as a guest rode a main elevator with cleaning personnel with slop buckets in the middle of the day! The business office is ill equipped - 3 PC- 1 mouse, low chairs not appropriate, or comfortable, to be computer working desk chairs. The walls of the rooms are covered in cheap washable wall "paper" and the floors seem cement covered by ugly industrial carpet- whole thing very drab like a motel- nice sleigh bed (reproduction) with fair linens, good maid service...but throughout hotel ugly reproduction furnishings in murky colors. On the plus, easy free parking but no porter service for arrivals with baggage! 5 *? Who gave them this rating?Someone who never stayed at a 5*. Staff was friendly and cooperative but they have little to work with here and I can't believe anyone really finds this a high quality hotel. The street side IS somewhat noisy- that is a busy highway. They are getting away with convenient location, low cost, and no competition save from out and out bargain motels.

Room Tip: ask for the side away from highway.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business