“Historic, Classic, Beautiful Hotel, But Needs A Little More Polish”
Review of Carnegie Hotel

Carnegie Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Cleveland, Ohio
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,235 helpful votes
“Historic, Classic, Beautiful Hotel, But Needs A Little More Polish”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

This feels like the original Carnegie Hotel (built in 1891), but it is in fact, a skillful recreation constructed in the year 2000. Thus, it has both historic charm and modern conveniences. There is much to love about this place, particularly:

1. Large rooms with classic furniture - I loved the king-sized sleigh bed. Bed was very comfortable, and linens were first class. Decor is sophisticated and welcoming.

2. Bathroom was outstanding - separate tub and shower. Room was exceptionally clean and very spacious.

3. Hotel itself is beautiful. The lobby is a work of art (look up at the stained glass dome). There is a stunning library area with a huge buffalo head. Although I didn't eat in the adjoining restaurant, I walked through the bar and restaurant and was very impressed with the decor. Our group had a catered hot breakfast at the hotel. The food was very good, but the service was a bit lacking.

I had a great night's sleep here. Yes, I could hear two trains (both before 11pm). But it wasn't noisy at all. Mildly soothing in fact and it was before bedtime.

The only reason I did not rate this hotel as excellent was the average to below average service at the front desk. For the caliber of this hotel, the front desk service was below average (not horrible, just not very well trained). For example, I asked for change for $20 bill (as I had no change and wanted to leave a tip for the maid). The front desk was unable to change a $20 bill. Also, the one person (a young girl) working the desk seemed both over-worked and poorly trained. Even if you cannot accomodate a guest's request, the key is to respond pleasantly. Likewise the next moring, the one person (a young guy) working the front desk did not seem at all knowledgable or friendly. I'm assuming most of the workers are college students (ETSU is right across the street), but they are clearly not motivated to provide good customer service.

I would stay here again as the hotel itself is great, but do believe that that management needs to better train the staff to match the upscale image of this place.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up have less street noise. Also, if the trains bother you (I love their sound), ask fo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank CynthiafromOhio2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Versailles
Reviewed April 25, 2012

The hotel is beautiful and very historic. The rooms were very nice. I only wish the service would match the decor. I checked in late evening for my guaranteed, three night stay only to find out their were no non-smoking rooms available, despite their brochure that stated all rooms were non-smoking. The desk clerk indicated that my travel agency had requested a non-smoking room, which was acknowledged, but the travel agency made the error.

After making a search of all rooms the less than service oriented reservation desk person found me a room for one night only with a comment that I would need to check in early the next morning to see if there would be any non-smoking rooms available.

After being kept awake by a barking dog, I waited for my wake up call which never came. I had to leave for a meeting so I called down to the front desk to see if they had a room or whether I needed to check out. After being put on hold for 5 minutes I gave up, packed my bag and headed for the lobby. When I got to the front desk I was told they were very busy at the front desk and could not get to the phone. When I asked about the wake up call that never came, they showed me a register that indicated they had called my room but the phone was buy. This was quite strange as I have a blackberry and never used my phone until I called the desk to inquire about a room for the next 2 evenings. The clerk again commented that this must have been my fault (strike 2). I asked about the dog policy and was told yes they did allow dogs but there was no dog on the floor I was on. The barking was right outside my room so once again indirectly I was told I was untruthful (strike 3) I was then informed they were sold out and only had smoking rooms available and I would have to take one of those or wait and see if something else became available. I was late for my meeting and could not wait around any longer. Not being a smoker, the smoking room was not acceptable. When I informed the clerk that I wanted to cancel the remaining nights on my reservations, they looked at me as if I was crazy. Based on my experience there i do not see how any guests would ever want to return. I travel extensively on business and have never encountered such poor service.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank reznanpl
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed April 15, 2012

When we have traveled to Johnson City in the past (we have family there) we have stayed at a Hampton Inn. It's reliable, predictable and well-priced. Two years ago I decided to try the Carnegie. We went for Easter both last year and this. Last year I was very disappointed in the service but this year they really had their act together and the visit was enjoyable.

Our rooms were well cared for, well-stocked, spacious and clean. When we requested a rollaway the second night, it came immediately and was in far better shape than I expected it would be. The bathroom is extremely large and well-appointed. We traveled with two small children and they had plenty of room to stretch their legs in our room.

I love the location of the hotel. I am a walker and just love being able to access the ETSU campus via bridge. It's also an easy walk to Earth Fare which is a fun spot to eat non-hotel food. We have special dietary needs, so the addition of a fridge in our room was a huge benefit.

I may sound snotty but I usually have pretty low expectations of hotels in very small non-tourist towns. I just don't think they get enough business to work out the kinks. So take what I say with a grain of salt. But I will book at the Carnegie when I return to JC.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor if you can. On one side your windows open to the parking lot and the cars are...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank thebestlaidplans
Georgia
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Very pretty hotel, looks historic and is very nice. Heavy nice furniture in the rooms, sleigh beds. Not sure why someone thought it was a good idea to put a frosted window in half of the bathroom door. Odd. The bathroom was surprisingly large and really nice. No free breakfast, no coupon for the restaurant. The restaurant was nice and had a good selection for breakfast. The one disappointment which will keep me from returning... the noise. I was awakened by four trains overnight and then in the morning garbage cans banging dumpsters kept the noise theme going. I had forgotten I read a TripAdvisor review about train noise here- then I noticed another review where someone reported traffic noise on the other side of the hotel. So we will not return.

Room Tip: If you have trouble sleeping due to noise I recommend you steer clear of this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mcan4fun
Michigan
Reviewed March 24, 2012

This was by far the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff was helpful, pleasant, and full of southern hospitality. The bathrooms in the rooms are amazing. The beds are amazing. Absolutely beautiful, the hotel has all antique furniture. I almost wished there was a chain of these hotels, but then it would take away the personal feeling the hotel offers. Very clean hotel. I did not see any bugs dead or alive in the room. If you wonder about this hotel, wonder no more BOOK YOUR ROOM NOW!! About 20 minutes to Bristol Motor Speedway.

Room Tip: Spacious rooms, the couch in our room folded out into a bed in case you needed an extra bed.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tanya8814
Rome
Reviewed March 14, 2012

The Hotel is definetely old, but old some times does not mean bad. The building is located on a major road next to the East Tennessee University. It is not really in the center of the city. The Hall is elegant and classical. The staff very attentive and helpful.

The room I had was very large with an enourmous bathroom with a separate bath tub and shower.

Excellent is the SPA located on the lower level, Very good is the business center.

Breakfast is "a la carte"

Not much around the hotel but you can get a very very good milk shake in the nearby Cook Out. Did not try anything else but the shakes are really good

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side of the road. IN the back there is a railway
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ClaudioMario
Norton, Virginia
Reviewed March 12, 2012

My husband and I stay a night here for a quick get-away. We used the Austin springs spa in the basement and were happy with our services. We stayed on a Thursday night and booked a dinner and a movie package which includes a one night stay, a in room movie with snacks, and a $75 coupon for dinner at Wellingtons which can be delivered to the room as room services for a nominal fee ($4). Because the hotel was empty, we were offered an upgrade to the Presidential Suite for $50 more and we jumped on it. The presidential suite were we stayed (The Roosevelt) is on the 6th floor and gorgeous. It has a fireplace, a dining table, a king size poster bed, and an oversized claw foot tub with separate shower. It is like 1000 sq. feet. The service was amazing from booking over the phone, to check in, to check out, to room service. The room was quiet even though it was right off the elevator. The hotel has free parking and free wifi. The only reason I couldn't give our stay a 5 star rating was the mattress on the bed. I don't know if it was just that particular bed but it sagged in the middle so all night long I rolled to the center and had to roll back to my side. I've stayed in much worse hotel beds, but when you are surrounded by luxury, you expect the mattress to be the same and it wasn't. Another quirk- the suite had a fridge, but not a microwave, which I found odd.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple