This feels like the original Carnegie Hotel (built in 1891), but it is in fact, a skillful recreation constructed in the year 2000. Thus, it has both historic charm and modern conveniences. There is much to love about this place, particularly:
1. Large rooms with classic furniture - I loved the king-sized sleigh bed. Bed was very comfortable, and linens were first class. Decor is sophisticated and welcoming.
2. Bathroom was outstanding - separate tub and shower. Room was exceptionally clean and very spacious.
3. Hotel itself is beautiful. The lobby is a work of art (look up at the stained glass dome). There is a stunning library area with a huge buffalo head. Although I didn't eat in the adjoining restaurant, I walked through the bar and restaurant and was very impressed with the decor. Our group had a catered hot breakfast at the hotel. The food was very good, but the service was a bit lacking.
I had a great night's sleep here. Yes, I could hear two trains (both before 11pm). But it wasn't noisy at all. Mildly soothing in fact and it was before bedtime.
The only reason I did not rate this hotel as excellent was the average to below average service at the front desk. For the caliber of this hotel, the front desk service was below average (not horrible, just not very well trained). For example, I asked for change for $20 bill (as I had no change and wanted to leave a tip for the maid). The front desk was unable to change a $20 bill. Also, the one person (a young girl) working the desk seemed both over-worked and poorly trained. Even if you cannot accomodate a guest's request, the key is to respond pleasantly. Likewise the next moring, the one person (a young guy) working the front desk did not seem at all knowledgable or friendly. I'm assuming most of the workers are college students (ETSU is right across the street), but they are clearly not motivated to provide good customer service.
I would stay here again as the hotel itself is great, but do believe that that management needs to better train the staff to match the upscale image of this place.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com and Agoda so you can book your Carnegie Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carnegie Hotel Johnson City