“Worth a stop”

Hands On! Regional Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Interactive exhibits, programs, and events to stimulate discovery, thought, and understanding.
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We have taken our 19 month old here twice, she has a ball. I was concerned our first trip thinking she may not enjoy herself, but many of the exhibits seems to be geared toward younger children. She enjoys the fish, arch and the bubbles the most. I think if we were permanent residents to the area she may in time get bored with the museum since it doesn't seem to change often - if ever, I've not seen anything stating it changes exhibits. We purchased the summer pass which has already saved us money on just two trips. We have plans to take an older child, 9, with us later this month. I think she will have fun her first trip since it will all be new, but think she may become bored with it after 2 trips. I'd think children under the age of 10 would enjoy their first trip, but anyone over the age of 5/6 may become bored with it after a few trips. Parking is limited to the street or other public parking in the area. Also, only the first floor is accessible to the handicapped. Wheelchairs and those strolling babies will not be able to go downstairs - unless you take the stairs - there are no elevators. THE ONLY BATHROOMS ARE DOWNSTAIRS! We found the museum entertaining for our young child, she loves running around and playing with the items in the museum, however I don't think it's a place for older children. I say give it a go, some children enjoy the science of things longer than others so your older children may fully enjoy themselves, it's worth a stop in. Note our trips have all been under two hours, though I'm sure our daughter would have stayed longer as she likes running around the place, it's toddler friendly in that you don't have to worry about them getting into things they should not, all is there to be played with. Overall we find it entertaining for our young child and a lot better than sitting inside at home or sweating outside; she can run and play and we all enjoy that part of it.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

Our grandchildren love going to the Hands On! Regional Museum in Johnson City. It has so many things to do for the entire family to enjoy.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Bless it's little heart, Hands-On Museum was really cool 25 years ago, but the problem is that literally nothing has changed. I took the kids (11 and 2 yrs) last week and it was very disappointing. First problem is parking. My mother walks with a cane and the only handicap spot was taken. We had to park around the block. The exhibits are seriously old and in need of repair, or just get rid of them and replace with more relevant exhibits. (seriously? A PVC pipe "organ"?) The TVA boat "exhibit" with water stinks like mildew and I cringed when the kids put their hands in that water...ICK. The pretend grocery store is fun, but has seen better days. The Noah's ark of taxidermied heads is creepy but interesting. Downstairs is a dank basement with very little educational value in the display department. I have no idea why the city doesn't shoot a little money their way and allow them to utilize this space and update. The dinosaur exhibit was the same one that was at the Gray fossil site 3 years ago, this should really be called the Hand-Me-Down Museum. Not sure it's even worth the 8$ anymore.I hate to kick it while it's down, but compared to Nashville's Science Center and even Bays Mountain's Nature Center, Hands On really falls short.

Reviewed April 29, 2012

Been, with Grandchildrend, they enjoyed it so much,they wore me out , I would take them agin, But they have grown up , I,m sure it will be around for their childrend.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

Hands-On is a great organization, but they just haven't kept up with modern technology. Some of the "exhibits" were little more than a model airplane or a fish tank. There was a "play" grocery store that won't amuse anyone over the age of seven, and the best part about the place was the room where you can take a picture of your shadow, which of course has been there for at least 25 years.