“Fun for smally kids”

Hands On! Regional Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Interactive exhibits, programs, and events to stimulate discovery, thought, and understanding.
orlando, fl
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun for smally kids”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

it was ok for a few hours. My kids are 7 and 8 and loved it. I don't think much older would enjoy it as much. I think 10 and older would get really bored, but it is great to give small ones something to do. I read an earlier review that suggested looking up a coupon online and I did that and saved 1.00 off each ticket.

Visited November 2011

Johnson City, Tennessee
“Fun Times”
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We went with our 3 year old for the first time and she had a blast! I think we were there for over 2 hours! They have a variety of stations for kids young and old. We went on a Friday after we had planned on going on a Monday....they are closed on Mondays. Not many kids were there and we took our time going through all the stations. There's a craft room too. If you think $8 is too much, search online and you can find a coupon for $1 off per person (that's what we did). I think $7 is a great price for all that they have to do there and the time you could spend. Plus, my 3 year old slept like an angel that night!!! She was worn-out....and so were mommy and daddy! There is free parking close by too. All in all, it was lots of fun. Don't let a negative review keep you from going. Go and check it out for yourself. Places like this need the community's support.

Visited September 2011
Morristown, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very pleasantly surprised after reading negative two negative reviews”
Reviewed April 26, 2011

After reading the following three reviews I was undecided whether to take my daughter who was visiting from Fla. and three granchildren 15, 4, and 2 to visit the museum. We were all thankful we went with the positive review.

All three generations thoroughly enjoyed it and it was informative even for this 70 year old retired U.S. Marine "Naval Aviator" as well as our teenage grand daughter. Something for all ages even after "Dollywood" yesterday.

An old down town building was given new life with it's "Hands On" Museum and it was giving new life to an old down town area. There was two hour parking on the street and the Johnson City police officers are obviuosly granting grace to attendees to the museum as I forgot about the time and we were way over two hours and had no ticket. Great use for an old downtown building. Although it was old, it was well kept and clean. They appear to be continually adding new displays.

Will be doing it again with other children and grand children!

Visited April 2011
2 Thank PleasanlySurprised
Lenoir, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyed”
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Just returned from Hand On museum and my 6 year old grand daughter really enjoyed the acivities offered at the museum. I almost didn't go because of the negative reviews that the others had posted and I 'm glad we didn't listen to them and made our on decision. It is a shame that people put negative thinks and people miss out on a good time because of them.. Go.. make your on decision ...find the good in life

1 Thank jcole2531
Kingsport, Tennessee
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 132 helpful votes
“This place is getting run-down and it's over priced.”
Reviewed June 10, 2010

Perhaps small children will enjoy this museum, but the older ones will be bored. I grew up going here and it used to be a really neat place to visit. Now it is just sorta run-down and so-so.

This is in downtown Johnson City in a very old row style building. The streets are one-way and parking is often hard to find. Be careful.

The price is too much for what is offered. It is more expensive than Discovery Kids Muesum in Chattanooga and the one in Chattanooga is new and exciting and HUGE !

There is a dam/levee system which usually has dirty water in it and run down/dirty boats to play with. There is a grocery store, a Noah's Ark, small indoor playground, slide/coal mine, fish aquarium, a few live animals, bank with hardly any money or fake atm cards to play with, bubble tables, stage, a few rotating exhibits, a small music exhibit, smaller stuff that I can't remember (that's how memorable it was), dress up area, a shadow wall, airplaine to get in, tractor to sit on, a craft room.

The restrooms are tiny and the gift shop is over-priced. Many of the exhibits are broken or missing pieces or missing information. I am not sure what's up with the craft room or scheduled craft activities because I have never seen one in progress or anybody using the room. The birthday parties are SO expensive. Like 200.00.

The staff is unattentive. Don't expect people to walk around explaining the exhibits or getting kids involved. The only staff I ever see is at the front cash register and in the gift shop.

I do take my small child (4) as something to do on a rainy day but my older one (10) gets really bored.

The museum in Chattanooga is so much better. Hands On needs to look at what they "could" be if they tried. The place needs sprucing up, more exciting exhibits, and the staff needs to be trained on people skills and dealing with small children. I am usually handed a map and have my admission taken and that's about all !

Be prepared that both adults AND kids pay admission.

1 Thank jmertn