“Soul food baby”

Cuisines: American
Boone, North Carolina
“Soul food baby”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This place is great...you might have to wait a hot minute, so order an appetizer. Actually order anything that has the little salt and pepper shakers beside it. I had the chicken livers(for lunch) with the green beans and cabbage...fantastic. A HUGE lunch portion. My companions had the shrimp and grits, and the special which was a chicken breast with stuffing and gravy...it was all banging. I didn't care for the grits that came with my companions shrimp and grits, but I would never order that anyhow, so you may like em. That was really my only complaint, but that wasn't even the dish I ordered...I had no complaints about my dish, it was great. The little corn cake that comes with the meal is fantastic too. Eat here, come hungry, and you won't be disappointed.
Do not be looking to eat low fat, it's not gonna happen.

Johnson City, Tennessee
“Good Food”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Finally made it to Salt N' Pepper and was impressed (for the most part) with my visit.

The food was good-- decent portions, fresh, and reasonable prices. I had the chicken tenders, collard greens (amazing), and soup beans. Look forward to trying other things on the menu at some point.

The atmosphere needs some help, but I do understand it's a new business. New chairs/tables should be an investment soon.

Roanoke, Virginia
“An interesting spot”
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Stopped in to see what the fuss was all about. The bad... parking lot not well lit, the decor was a little outdated and very mismatched, the chairs were awful, paper menus on the tables had food and drink stains on them, employees kids were running around. I just think if the inside had a makeover and uniformity i would have been more impressed. The good...the server was nice, the food was good, very reasonable pricing. I would visit again.

Palm Springs, California
“Improvement much needed!”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Visited this restaurant recently and was not impressed.

First of all, it is rather dark inside. The rock/rap/soul music was blaring right over our heads and considering that a majority of the patrons when we were there had gray hair, I'm not sure they appreciated the low lights or the loud music. One of the wait staff was cleaning the table next to ours and she muttered under her breath, "This music is driving me nuts."

The decor was deplorable. None of the tablecloths matched and were cheap plastic tablecloths. Old records were attached to the walls throughout the restaurant. I understand they probably didn't have a tremendous amount of startup cash so I understand the spartan conditions. But at least turn the lights up a bit please.

The food was below average. We ordered a hamburger ($6) for me and wife had smothered porkchops ($10) with sides of scalloped potatoes and a tomato and cucumber salad. The hamburger was not only overcooked, it was black and had a burned taste. Couldn't eat it. The pork chops were also very overcooked and were as tough as shoe leather. Couldn't chew them. Potatoes were underseasoned, salad was average, gravy on pork chops was very good. The fries with the hamburger were just average. The special sauce served with them was just mayo and catsup mixed together (I think).

The service was very friendly. i Liked these girls. Food took 37 minutes to arrive. It was lunchtime and they were quite busy, so I'm not complaining about the wait.

I'm sorry to write this poor review as I wanted this place to be good. We might go back and try something else. The chicken seems to get good reviews.

I hope the girls succeed but they are going to have to do much better than they did on our recent visit.

2 Thank Cindy Y
Johnson City, Tennessee
“The waitress made it worth it all!”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

It was our first time coming to the new "soul food" resturant. After reading the article from the local newspaper earlier that week, I had it set in my mind that my famiily and I would be dining there the following weekend. When we arrived, there were a number of cars outside, which is a plus! We did have to wait to be seated, but not long. After we sat down, we were greated by a young women with a hugh smile! She seemed to be happy to be there, She asked if it was our first time dining, and we let her know that it was. With that being said, she let us know about the "special" the extra sides, the FAMOUS fry sauce, which items were her favorite, and which ones we should give a try. She even let us know where the bathroom was located. The resturant was very busy and so was our waitress, who seemed to have at least 8 tables! Still yet, she never seemed bothered by the 1000 of questions we asked her reguarding the menu and certain items that we wanted to know more about. She had an anwser to every one of our questions without 2nd guessing herself. We also noticed that not only was she very kind, cheerful, and outgoing with us, but to all her other tables as well. I would thank her by name, but do not remeber it. But if you ever stop by to grab a bite and want to know that your going to get 5 star service, ask for the (tall blond.)
I ordered the special which was steak, and it was to die for! Never thought about getting such a good quality peice of meat from a soul food resturant! I also had a side salad, with amazing blue cheese dressing, and a side order of grits. I was in heaven. I highly reccomend going here to anyone! Not only is the food amazing, but the service we received that evening mad it that much more of a great 1st time experince.