“Best soul food I've found in the Tri Cities (so far)”
Review of Salt N' Pepper - CLOSED

Salt N' Pepper
Cuisines: American
Kingsport, TN.
“Best soul food I've found in the Tri Cities (so far)”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I had heard about Salt N Pepper when it opened a few months ago, but only last week had we checked it out, and wound up making 2 visits in less than a week. The menu is fairly simple with a few appetizers, soups, salads, burgers, sandwiches, entrees and desserts. The decor and ambiance is pretty spartan aside from some old jazz album covers along the wall. The service was very friendly, if maybe a little slow.

With that out of the way, I'll get to the food, which is why we go out to eat to start with. On our first trip, we spurned the appetizers for fried chicken livers (which ironically are offered as an appetizer as well as entree) and a fried chicken dinner. The livers were fired to perfection. Crisp, but not overdone, although I thought they could have used a little more seasoning. For sides, I chose the mashed potatoes and mac-n-cheese. Both were perfect with the potatoes having that not too lumpy, not too smooth texture. My wife had the 2 piece chicken dinner with cooked cabbage and sweet corn. The chicken, like the livers was fried to perfection. Crispy skin, not real greasy, slightly salty without being over seasoned, and really, really juicy (and you can add an extra piece for $2). The cabbage had been cooked in ham hocks, and was very good. She said the corn was really good, although I didn't try it.

On our second visit we came back for the chicken and waffles, which we had eyeballed on the first visit. The waffles had been advertised as "eggnog" waffles, which I was interested in trying even though I don't like eggnog. The waffles were amazing. A hint of cinnamon and vanilla, served with plenty of melted butter on top and warm maple syrup. We also requested they be "good and brown", and they didn't disappoint. The chicken that we got was every bit as good as the previous visit. We had sides of fries and homemade chips. Neither were spectacular, but it didn't matter. There was enough food that neither of us could completely finish and I left in need of a nap.

Also worthy of note is that they have a "special" every day that isn't normally served, as well as different sides on different days and can be found on their Facebook site. The first trip the special was pot roast (which looked great from what I saw at another table), and on the second trip it was chicken casserole. The prices aren't bad, especially considering the amount of food you get (lunch portions are also available on some things), and you will have to expect a wait of around 15+ minutes on your food, because it is prepared on order, but we will absolutely be back for a 3rd visit and beyond.

• Visited April 2012