“Much More Than We Expected”

Red Roof Inn Johnson City
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Johnson City, Tennessee
“Much More Than We Expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

We wee moving to Johnson City and needed a place until our furniture arrived. We stayed is a superior king. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was large with a fridge and micro. The room was very clean; the bed was comfortable; and the shower was strong an hot. The front dest signed us up for their frequent guest program that earned us free bottled water. Our key entitled us to discounts at several restaurants.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mark F
brett c, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Johnson City, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind remarks.

We are certainly happy to have provided your lodging needs during your move. I know moving can be a challenge, and I hope things went smoothly, and you are enjoying the short time you have lived in the area.

If you have friends or family coming to town to visit, we would be happy to have them stay with us.

Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Hebrew first
knoxville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

We've stayed here twice in the past year. The first time (Oct 2012) we were in town for Homecoming at a local college and, since RR was recently renovated, we gave it a try. The hardwood laminate is a vast improvement over the old carpet, and the bed was very comfortable. We were on the lower floor and were disappointed in the noisy guests above us early in the morning, but that's certainly not the hotel's fault. More recently, we stayed overnight for the Bluegrass Half Marathon, and had another good experience (thanks in part to the upper floor room, which I requested a few months in advance). The nice hot shower was especially welcoming after the long race. My only complaint is the wifi signal, which is incredibly weak and slow (doesn't seem to matter which room you're in), as good Internet is a priority for most travelers anymore. Aside from that, what an incredible bargain this hotel is!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room on the opposite side of the hotel from the fire station a...
1 Thank littlemrslarge
Thank you for coming back and staying with us again.

We are glad you are liking the newly renovated rooms. I agree the flooring is a big improvement over carpet. I also stay on an upper floor when I travel. You don't hear cars coming and going, along with noise generated by other guests going to or from their rooms.

I apologize about the wifi strength. We have Comcast coming out to do a site survey. and hopefully something can be worked out to improve on the current wifi.

Thank you again, and we hope to see you next time you are in town.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

I'm Enjoying my stay at Red Roof JC, TN the views are beautiful! All rooms are non- smoking so, none of that nastiness to worry about in the rooms. Smoking rooms are always the worse no matter what hotel you stay in. I'm a smoker and enjoy going outside. Keeps my Clothes and Suitcases fresh. This hotel is located in the best area for food, shopping and Night life.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Vick82
brett c, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Johnson City, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time and posting a review.

We are very pleased you are enjoying your stay with us. The mountains in this area, truly are beautiful. Always enjoy the drive into North Carolina from here.

I hope the designated smoking area has been acceptable as well. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to see you again, when your travels bring you to this area.
Gilbert
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

The Red Roof Inn located in Johnson City, Tennessee, is a good place to rest after traveling. The rooms are clean, inviting, and as comfortable as a hotel can be. The staff is very friendly and helpful, as well.

1 Thank Thomas P
Thank you so much for staying with us. We are very pleased you had an enjoyable stay.

We look forward to seeing you again, when you are in the area.

We also appreciate you taking the time to voice your opinion through Trip Advisor.
Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

we always stay here when visiting the area...staff is great & very friendly & they do a super job keeping it clean..the rooms have been redone, nice work desk, refrig & microwave in our room, loved the no-carpeted room so don't have to worry about when it was last cleaned..they are pet-friendly & rooms smoke free!!! able to keep room cold!! now, if only the smokers outside would pick up their BUTTS it would be litter free...i guess it's fun to throw them over the rail & not have to deal with them...i wouldn't want to have to clean them up everyday!! wi-fi was a bit sketchy but a minor detail..very well kept inn!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank bogey718
brett c, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Johnson City, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the property.

I am very pleased you are enjoying the rooms from our last renovation. I agree completely with the flooring in the rooms, instead of the carpet. There is just enough around the beds.

Hopefully we will have some good news in regards to better wifi soon. Comcast will be doing a site survey in the next couple of weeks, and we will see how it goes from there.

Thank you again for staying with us, and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in town.
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

During our recent travels Red Roof Inn has become one of our favorite medium price hotels. Last night was a huge disappointment! We booked ahead---as usual ( in the space provided) we requested a room on the ground floor with parking in front---since we are seniors, this makes it easier for us to unload the car. When we arrived (5 PM) the man at the desk told us the choice was either a room on the third floor or a handicapped room on the ground floor. We asked why our request was not available and the man told us they never fill requests unless you call the reservation service on the day of arrival. This is a blatant lie since we have stayed in several other Red Roof Inns which made the effort to fill our needs from our online booking request. To make it easier for ourselves, we finally took the handicapped room on the ground floor. Bad idea! The room had no furniture except a bed and desk---no chair, no chest, no table---our bags and belongings had to go on the floor. We finally put up the ironing board just to give ourselves a place to put some of our belongings off the floor. The bathroom was worse--no counter space at all---just a bare sink--so our toilet articles and cosmetics had to be placed on the floor also. There was also mold around the tub---Yuk! (Room 138). The desk was so small it would not fit our 15" laptop and keyboard---but it really didn't matter since the wifi was terrible and we finally gave up trying to get it to work. The blanket on the bed had cigarette burn holes in it. Another Yuk! All in all, this was a terrible experience. I try to be fair with my reviews and I realize we cannot judge all Red Roof Inns by this experience, but we do NOT recommend this property and we will NEVER return!

Room Tip: Avoid the handicapped rooms!
1 Thank hotgrandmacwt
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Your feedback is important to us.

I apologize we did not have the room type you reserved available on the first floor. The front desk GSR misspoke in regards to requests on reservations. We absolutely make every effort to honor any request on any reservation, each and every day. No phone call is needed. Unfortunately, we were almost sold out on Friday and Saturday, with the Rhytm and Roots Festival, and also a big softball tournament. Most guests from Friday, also stayed on Saturday, and the room type you reserved wasn't available on the lower level. We do have an elevator, but I am glad the front desk GSR offered you a different room type as an option, since being on the lower level was your main priority.

The lower level room you opted to take, does have a smaller desk, as the room is designed for a wheelchair to have access. This is also the reason for the configuration of the sink and bathroom. The desk however is large enough for a laptop of any size, but not if you are using an additional keyboard with the laptop. Besides, the desk chair in the room you rented, there is not an extra chair, also due to wheelchair accessibility. I am sorry the three drawer dresser was not large enough to accomodate your belongings. All our room types have the same size three drawer dresser. All the rooms also have one black, foldable luggage rack to place a piece of luggage on. None of our rooms have a table in them, since our last couple of renovations.

I certainly appreciate you bringing the caulk to our attention. My maintenance GSR takes great pride in our property, and is correcting this issue. I will also remind the housekeeping GSR's to notify maintenance at the first sign of this, or any other issue in the rooms, to prevent guests from being impacted in a negative way.

We actually have a site inspection scheduled in the next couple of weeks, in regards to wifi. Comcast will be coming out, and hopefully, we will have a faster wifi experience for our guests in the very near future. With everyone using all their different devices these days to stay connected, more speed is always a good thing.

Once again, my apologies the room type you had reserved, was not available on the first floor, and the elevator was not a good option for you. We truly wish every guest has a wonderful experience, and we honor any guest requests whenever possible.
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

The room was just outstanding. We like the ... no carpet ... floor (see attached picture)! It did have some throw rugs in just the right spots. The lady (Jhanel) was charming and helpful. Except ... She don't seem to know the facility all that well. I requested a room on the ground floor, so I could park my motorcycle outside the room. When we got here ... true ... there was a parking spot right outside the door. However ... the angle was so steep, it was sliding down hill ... on the side stand! There was no way I would be able to put it on the center stand. I had to stay outside and watch the bike while the other half went in to see if there was a level place to park.

I put the bike in gear (which I do not like to do) to keep it from rolling backwards and went in to talk with Jhanel. She told me that "this is Tennessee nothing is flat" and there wasn't anything flatter to park at. So (see attached picture), I was to tired from an all day ride, I ended up parking in the flattest spot I could find, which was not ideal.

The next day I took a look around and on the even numbered side of the building ... low and behold ... there was flat parking spots! What's up with that?! Next time I'll know which side (even numbered) to book!

Even with that ... the place is a real gem. For the price ... it don't get any better. The WiFi is slow ... but gets the job done. The shower is great ... up high and good water dispersal. Target shore near by and a walkable place to eat. Gas stations? They're a little sparse. We found the place quiet and the people that stayed there were very friendly.

Room Tip: If you're on a motorcycle, or have any issues with inclined surfaces ... get a room on the EVEN...
2 Thank James B
brett c, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Johnson City, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to do a review on the property.

I was pleased to see you were happy with the recently renovated rooms. I agree completely with you in regards to the flooring.

The even side of the building is more level than the odd side, due to drainage of the parking lot. If you should be riding through the area again, we would love to see you and definitely try to get you a room on the even side. I have seen numerous bikes parked on the odd side, but they must leave them in gear, as you do not like to do. I am glad you found the outer spaces on the odd side were level enough for your needs this trip. I actually worked third shift the night you were here, and I kept an eye on your bike through the night.

Thank you again, and happy riding.