“The Best Cupcakes Ever”

Houston, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Best Cupcakes Ever”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

We are from Texas and are in Johnson City, TN visiting family this week. We got a dozen so we could try different ones, they are so moist and the icing is amazing. Advise for anyone passing through Johnson City, TN stop by and try thier cupcakes, the staff is very nice, and they have TV & free WIFI which I am using right now while the kids finish eating. My family and I will be back to by more beore heading home. GREAT CUPCAKES CAKES IN A CUP!

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank David L

Johnson City, Tennessee
“Update: Consistently BAD!!”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I just feel the need to update my previous review, to emphasize just how bad these cupcakes are. For some reason I must have been out of my mind, but I gave it yet ANOTHER try. It was because they advertised a new cupcake, the "birthday cupcake." I got a little excited about it; it SOUNDED good. Well friends, this cupcake was BAD. It tasted AWFUL. The icing and the cake were terrible. I can't even describe it, except that it has to be illegal to serve something this bad in the contiguous 48 states. These cupcakes are a joke! They're embarrassing! I took it home and told my husband he would have to eat it or I was going to throw it in the trash. This is a guy who eats ANYTHING, and even he had to force it down...with a LOT of milk to hide the taste. That's it, no more chances. This place is officially awful. ALL of the cupcakes I have tried there have tasted terrible. I will definitely never go back.

• Visited December 2011
4 Thank conanlover
Gray
“Awesome”
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Went by to try their cupcakes - oh my they are amazing and everyone there was so nice - the cake was super moist and the icing was super - the only thing that I had a time with was trying to figure out which cupcake to try because they had so many different flavors - I ended up trying two but will definitely go back to try more - I recommend trying Cakes in a Cup - they have great atmosphere with TV too which I took advantage of.

• Visited November 2011
4 Thank Dee H
Johnson City, Tennessee
“Look Elsewhere to Find Better Cupcakes!”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

The cupcakes are "okay" at best. Trust me, I know desserts. There is much better in the Johnson City area (try The Crazy Cupcake and Another Touch Bakery in Jonesborough). And no, I have nothing to do with those establishments, I am just a regular dessert-loving patron who goes around trying different cupcakes and getting the truth out about about the highest-quality desserts! Dessert is important in my life.
Cakes in a Cup does not offer much variety. I have tried 4 different types and found them to be generally medicore (though I will say the chocolate icing is good). The store is a little sad-looking, with only a tiny display case. And oh my, the Bible verses. This can be a real turn-off! Rule #1 of business: don't mix your personal, religious beliefs with business! It makes me not want to go back (and I don't think I will, since I can get better cupcakes elsewhere). You walk in and the gigantic Bible verses on the wall SMACK you in the face, and they have advertisements about discounts if you bring in your church voucher, etc. Religious references are everywhere. I thought I was walking into a cupcake store, not a church! You're entitled to your beliefs but that's a quick way to lose customers. That, in combination with the medicore cupcakes (the cookies and cream can HARDLY even be called that. Chocolate cake with white icing and a cookie on top does NOT = cookies and cream) means I will not be going back.

• Visited October 2011
5 Thank conanlover
Gray, Tennessee, United States
“Absolutely Gourmet, High End Cupcakes that are affordable!”
Reviewed October 7, 2011

My wife is in the hospital, and her birthday is tomorrow, so instead of a birthday cake I decided to try some cupcakes and saw Cakes in a Cup on the way to the hospital. The selections were absolutely phenomenal, and I chose Mint Chocolate, Cookies and Creme, and Wedding Cake. The folks behind the counter make you feel at home and were very friendly and patient with me as I asked all my questions. My wife was thrilled with her surprise of cupcakes, but it was when she took the first bite and her eyes lit up and she nearly giggled that I knew these ROCKED! I WILL be back often anytime I need a treat. Forget birthday cakes, go for Cakes in a Cup!

• Visited October 2011