“Feels like brand new”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
SE Michigan
“Feels like brand new”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This hotel is probably less than 2-3 years old, but even in that amount of time, a busy hotel can begin to look worn. This one doesn't, not even a bit. The rooms are large, modern, comfortable, and very clean. The fitness center has state-of-the-art Life Fitness equipment, including two treadmills and an elliptical machine, each with its own flat screen TV.

The staff is helpful, friendly and accommodating, making you feel welcome. Just what you would expect to find in the hills of East Tennessee.

While I give most Courtyards an average rating, this one is the first to earn an "Excellent" from me. Great place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MI_TravelFreq

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
St. Augustine FL
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed for two nights and I found the hotel very comfortable. My room had a flat screen TV and a nice sitting area. I found the staff to be friendly and enjoyed the happy hour one night.

I will stay here again on my next visit.

Two things worth commenting on were on one of the reviews posed someone said the beds were hard, I would not say hard, but firm. Also I did notice some room noise from someone walking above me. But it was not a big deal. I would suggest if you really need a quite room to sleep, you ask for the top floor.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank gregbooras
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We visited Johnson City this summer for a wedding, and it was our first ever trip to the area. This hotel seemed like one of the newer options in this area, and we were pleased with our stay from the moment we arrived. We had called ahead for an early check-in, and they were more than happy to oblige. Staff was friendly throughout.

We reserved a King Suite, and there are just a few of these in the hotel. A helpful hint: if you request the King Suite on the first floor, you will be treated to a corner room with the highest ceilings available and a view of the day lilies on the private path to the pool area. The room was completely quiet, which is important when you have a 3 year old. It was also very large, with a nice sitting room and wet bar area, separated from the bedroom and large bathroom area.

If you exit the side door of the hotel and look behind the property, it overlooks a charming pasture full of cows and mature oaks. You might not care about this, but my 3 year old loved it! We spent a while enjoying the fresh air and views.

We took advantage of the late afternoon appetizers offered in the lounge area, and ordered spinach and artichoke dip that we took back to our room. It was prepared by a very friendly worker, and it was actually pretty darn delicious. There were several options on the menu at all times of day, all freshly prepared. This was a nice perk over a typical hotel. There is also a convenient set of snacks and drinks available next to the main desk.

The location of this hotel was convenient to the interstate and main roads around town, and there are decent food/grocery options in the immediate area.

The pool is not large, and happened to be pretty cold while we were there. It's not a main feature of the property, so if a large pool is critical to you, it might be worth staying elsewhere.

The bed and pillows were comfortable, yet not quite 5 stars and more like 4. Still, if I was planning another visit to Johnson City, I would not hesitate to book another room here. Especially a suite.

I hope you find this review helpful, and I encourage you to book at this comfortable property. We were very satisfied with our stay.

Room Tip: Get a suite on the ground floor for lots of privacy and high ceilings.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Gordon M
Lynnwood, Washington
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I don't usually write a hotel review in the middle of my stay but after only being here for about 4 hours, I already have enough information.

From a physical perspective, the property seems relatively new/renovated and looks much like any other Courtyard with the bistro, lounge area, and computer access area. My room (king room) looks the same in setup, which is convenient because I know where everything is.

I don't consider myself high maintenance but I travel a fair amount. I just started traveling recently and have been a Marriott Rewards member for about 5 months so I'm only a Silver Elite. As such, when I make a review, they know what I want before I get to a property.

Upon check in, I was very promptly greeted and given my room (208). I got a second floor room when my profile specifies highest floor possible. I certainly understand they may not have had a room on the 3rd floor but usually the concierge will apologize for not meeting my needs. I was then handed a standard set of key cards. Again, not really a big deal but they had a big stack of elite cards. It makes me wonder why? I checked in using my elite card.

I got to my room and I would agree with the earlier poster who mentioned the room is loud. I can hear every footstep of the person above me.

Later, I went down to get a soda from the "store." There was only one diet left. I mentioned this to the 2 gentlemen who were at the desk. I also mentioned I would be back in a couple hours and would like to get a couple more that were cold. I kindly asked if they would restock the supply. When I got back, there were no diet sodas in the fridge. I did see one of the staff texting on his cell phone though. Very infuriating and something that I wouldn't even care about, however ignoring my simple and reasonable request was just not OK by me.

While the property is aesthetically pleasing, they need some work with the customer service.

Room Tip: Get the third floor. The lower floors have a lot of noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Mr_RN
CYJCGM, General Manager at Courtyard Johnson City, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. I certainly apologize for the front desks behavior. This will be used as a coaching opportunity to more improve our service to the guests.

Best Regards,

Courtyard General Manager
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I live in Johnson City TN and was looking for a hotel with a nice pool. Sort of an end to summer treat for my children (my youngest hasn't been able to swim all summer due to having surgery). The staff was exceptionally friendly and courteous and the room was clean and met my expectations. However, the reason for our stay was to allow my children to swim and enjoy the pool. The pool is on the small side (which isn't part of the problem). The cleanliness of the pool was alarming. Both my children complained of hair attaching to them while in the pool and many bugs and pieces of mulch were on the bottom. We arrived on a Friday and we tried the pool again on Saturday and it was still just as dirty. Very disappointed in our stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Donna B
CYJCGM, General Manager at Courtyard Johnson City, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you for your sharing your experience at our hotel. I am very happy to hear the facility met your expectations for the exception of the pool. We have been experiencing a severe weather pattern over the past few weeks with high winds and heavy down pours which has made it very difficult to keep the pool to it's normal cleanliness level. Our pool is usually very clean and well kept with a health department rating of 99% as of June 10, 2012.
We hope to see you back at the Courtyard Johnson City soon.

Regards,

Courtyard General Manager
Nashville
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is my go-to hotel in Johnson City. I've been staying here since it was built. It is as nice as any Courtyard - great lobby, food service, business support, high design, and solid service.

There is good news and bad. I'll start with bad. This is a loud hotel. The open joist construction means you hear every move of the guests upstairs. Staying on the top floor is a good idea. The doors are also not sealed as well as they should be and you hear too much from the hall.

Good news is that the city has just completed a new entrance to this hotel. Previously, you had to find a distant street and wind through the nearby shopping center to finally end up at the hotel (hopefully). Now the entrance is simple and attractive. Big improvement.

I'll be at Courtyard next time I'm in town, but I'll put the AC fan on "On" rather than "Auto" to cover the noise. Hey, that's what we all do anyway, right?

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor (3).
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Joseph58
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2012

You may think I'm harsh if you see this property, but I go to a hotel while on business for two reasons, a comfortable clean bed and a hot shower. The hotel property is beautiful, new, clean, plenty of parking, a nice pool, a small but useful gym. It also has a nice bistro-type restaurant with some good choices for a variety of tastes. At $9 USD for a bowl of cereal, banana, yogourt and a coffee, it is not cheap. At many similar hotels, for the price of the room, breakfast of equivalent value is complimentary. At the next highway exit (about 5-10 min. from Marriot) you will find many restaurants along the main street.

The property is located in a new area under development. The roads aren't even finished and my GPS did not find the location. Call ahead for directions if you choose to go.

These points turned me off from this hotel:
1. There was no water pressure (for at least 3 days). It took me 4 times as long to shower;
2. The refrigerator compressor was noisey, I switched it off at night;
3. The a/c unit was noisey, however I found it did not run as often as many other units I've seen;
4. The mattress (oh, the mattress). Quality must be poor or they do not rotate it often enough. If you slept on the side with the phone, you essentially rolled into a ditch.
5. The carpet in my room neede a good steam cleaning.

If none of these items bother you, I guess you could rate the property a 4 (very good). When I told two of the front desk folks about the water pressure, one found it funny and the other made an excuse about it being a problem once a year every year.....convenient.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Canadians_who_travel
CYJCGM, General Manager at Courtyard Johnson City, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you for your review, I will certainly address the mentioned issues immediately. I am very sorry for your inconveniences and will use this as a coaching opportunity. We value our guests opinions and want them to have a enjoyable stay. Please let me know when you are back in the area as I would like to speak to you directly about your reservation.

Regards,