“Don't stay for the pool”

Courtyard Johnson City
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Johnson City, Tennessee
“Don't stay for the pool”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I live in Johnson City TN and was looking for a hotel with a nice pool. Sort of an end to summer treat for my children (my youngest hasn't been able to swim all summer due to having surgery). The staff was exceptionally friendly and courteous and the room was clean and met my expectations. However, the reason for our stay was to allow my children to swim and enjoy the pool. The pool is on the small side (which isn't part of the problem). The cleanliness of the pool was alarming. Both my children complained of hair attaching to them while in the pool and many bugs and pieces of mulch were on the bottom. We arrived on a Friday and we tried the pool again on Saturday and it was still just as dirty. Very disappointed in our stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Donna B
CYJCGM, General Manager at Courtyard Johnson City, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you for your sharing your experience at our hotel. I am very happy to hear the facility met your expectations for the exception of the pool. We have been experiencing a severe weather pattern over the past few weeks with high winds and heavy down pours which has made it very difficult to keep the pool to it's normal cleanliness level. Our pool is usually very clean and well kept with a health department rating of 99% as of June 10, 2012.
We hope to see you back at the Courtyard Johnson City soon.

Regards,

Courtyard General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Nashville
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is my go-to hotel in Johnson City. I've been staying here since it was built. It is as nice as any Courtyard - great lobby, food service, business support, high design, and solid service.

There is good news and bad. I'll start with bad. This is a loud hotel. The open joist construction means you hear every move of the guests upstairs. Staying on the top floor is a good idea. The doors are also not sealed as well as they should be and you hear too much from the hall.

Good news is that the city has just completed a new entrance to this hotel. Previously, you had to find a distant street and wind through the nearby shopping center to finally end up at the hotel (hopefully). Now the entrance is simple and attractive. Big improvement.

I'll be at Courtyard next time I'm in town, but I'll put the AC fan on "On" rather than "Auto" to cover the noise. Hey, that's what we all do anyway, right?

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor (3).
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Joseph58
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2012

You may think I'm harsh if you see this property, but I go to a hotel while on business for two reasons, a comfortable clean bed and a hot shower. The hotel property is beautiful, new, clean, plenty of parking, a nice pool, a small but useful gym. It also has a nice bistro-type restaurant with some good choices for a variety of tastes. At $9 USD for a bowl of cereal, banana, yogourt and a coffee, it is not cheap. At many similar hotels, for the price of the room, breakfast of equivalent value is complimentary. At the next highway exit (about 5-10 min. from Marriot) you will find many restaurants along the main street.

The property is located in a new area under development. The roads aren't even finished and my GPS did not find the location. Call ahead for directions if you choose to go.

These points turned me off from this hotel:
1. There was no water pressure (for at least 3 days). It took me 4 times as long to shower;
2. The refrigerator compressor was noisey, I switched it off at night;
3. The a/c unit was noisey, however I found it did not run as often as many other units I've seen;
4. The mattress (oh, the mattress). Quality must be poor or they do not rotate it often enough. If you slept on the side with the phone, you essentially rolled into a ditch.
5. The carpet in my room neede a good steam cleaning.

If none of these items bother you, I guess you could rate the property a 4 (very good). When I told two of the front desk folks about the water pressure, one found it funny and the other made an excuse about it being a problem once a year every year.....convenient.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Canadians_who_travel
CYJCGM, General Manager at Courtyard Johnson City, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you for your review, I will certainly address the mentioned issues immediately. I am very sorry for your inconveniences and will use this as a coaching opportunity. We value our guests opinions and want them to have a enjoyable stay. Please let me know when you are back in the area as I would like to speak to you directly about your reservation.

Regards,
Lutz, Florida
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Visited there in March 2012 and walking through the front door, I thought I had stepped into a 5-star hotel. Apparently, the lobby and bistro area had gone under a renovation and it's gorgeous. I have to say the front desk staff couldn't have been nicer or more professional. (I have a "thing" about unprofessionalism in businesses who serve the public.) The staff was young, friendly and very helpful in recommending local restaurants. Room was very nice and clean and nicely decorated. I never drink the in-room coffees at any hotel, so the Starbucks in the lobby was more than convenient. My short stay was very nice and memorable because everything was exceptional at this hotel. Would highly recommend anyone visiting or traveling through Johnson City stay here!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank JimBobsGirl
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

Very nice interiors and clean. Room spacious and with refrigerator. Enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed May 2012
Albion, New York
Reviewed May 2, 2012

What makes this hotel special is the front desk staff. I had made reservations through the Marriott Website using my points. After a 12 hour drive with my family I arrived to find my reservation not in the system. I believe most hotel staffs would have made me pay or move on, but the front desk staff (especially Victoria) relentlessly pursued getting us in on points. Even when the corporate office said no, Vicki called the Hotels GM and he worked it out. I cannot express my gratitude enough for this teams exceptional service. Expect the typical comfort you will always find at most Courtyards which is very good, but what makes this hotel really sing is the staff. They are great!

Room Tip: Higher is always better.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 282Mikado
Reviewed April 13, 2012 via mobile

Great stay at a new and very up to date property. Work out room, was nice and well apportioned. Complimentary headphones were a nice touch. Excellent view from the pool deck that overlooked a field with cows, and a little country creek.

Only item I would liked to have modified is the in room coffee. Although, I could just spring for the Starbucks offered in the lobby!? Oh well.

Stayed April 2012