“Excellent Service. Very helpful staff.”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Jim, the manage, was excellent - he pointed us to all of the local sights. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast area was immaculate and the food was tasty. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JTA12

Reviewed November 20, 2010

When I checked out the desk clerk removed the room safe charge from my bill. When I checked my card statement there was a charge of $3.39 more than bill. What is up with this, seems once you give them your card & sign for charges they charge what ever they want. The motel was clean & comfortable, but I would not recommend to other travelers. Theres better in Johnson City for equal cost.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank LoganJ
Reviewed October 2, 2010

Spent a night here as part of a road trip to VA, TN, NC, GA and western KY. Was back in Johnson City a few months later and stayed elsewhere but wish I had stayed here again instead. No complaints whatsoever about this motel. Very clean and comfortable room, great breakfast, a refrigerator for my Diet Coke, good wi-fi service, decent location. This is located off I-26 on the south side of Johnson City and while most of the retail is located on the north side of town there are some stores nearby, and the location is convenient to ETSU if you're in town for something going on at the college. Was able to park pretty close to my room since there are exterior corridors. If I'm back at Johnson City, I'll definitely choose this place over the Days Inn, where I stayed the next time I was in town a few months later.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 30, 2010

The carpet in our rooms were so dirty that we had to spread out towels from the bed tothe bathroom because your feet would get black. The breakfast area was not well kept, tables had not been cleaned and were sticky, and a poor selection of food. Stay some place else. This was not worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
GSMTN444, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn Johnson City, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2011

Since this review was posted in August 2008, the entire housekeeping staff has been replaced at the Comfort Inn.

In addition to staffing changes, an intense maintenance regime and revitalization program has been implemented by the new management staff.

James Sexton
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed July 16, 2010

I came to Johnson City to look at houses (my husband couldn't get off work) and was looking or something inexpensive but comfortable. I was impressed by how well the upkeeping and cleanliness of the room was, and that it had little (but helpful) extras like a microwave. Everything felt new and quite clean. Even the artwork was lovely. The bed was very comfortable,and,as a light sleeper, noise was very minimal. As a woman traveling alone, I felt as safe as one can without doormen and security guards. The location is just a normal retail (fast food/gas station) area. Overall I would say this place is a steal for the quality offered, I would definitely stay there again. I can't say how noisy the location is since it was hot and I kept the a/c through the night, which would obviously mask traffic noise.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 20, 2009

The night the blizzard hit the East coast it also dumped alot of snow on Johnson City. Get this called and made a reservation. When I got there my room had been given to someone else, So whats the point in making a reservation. The manager did not even try to get me a room somewhere else. So if you I would suggest you keep driving. Oh by the way I am of as different race than most in that area are used to seeing.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank prissy2much
jagill1966, Front Desk Manager at Quality Inn Johnson City, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2009

It is unfortunate that anyone has to turn a natural disaster type situation into a racial issue. Race never entered the picture except in this person's own mind. Our computers were down for two days due to the weather. We were unable to make reservations locally or see any reservations that had been made online or through our 800-number. Due to the weather and power outages throughout the local area we were booked solid in the early evening. As we do own other hotels locally, we could have gotten the guest another room if the opportunity had been given to us to do so. TO DATE, this person has NOT contacted the hotel directly to speak with anyone in management. If so, he/she would have spoken with me to get any resolution with this matter.

Reviewed August 11, 2008

The sign at the front desk reads, "Pamper Yourself With A Jacuzzi Suite". Pamper myself?? This was more like gross myself out with the Jacuzzi Suite. We had the disgusting displeasure of staying at this Comfort Inn on the way home from a bike rally in Arkansas. We booked via choichotels.com from the business center of a lovely hotel we were staying at in Arkansas. We looked at all the photos and it appeared to offer what we were looking for: a smoking room with a Jacuzzi, king sized bed, fridge and microwave. But, beware, pictures are deceiving. This place has the distinct honor of being the dirtiest place I have ever stayed at and sadly, due to my mode of transportation and an extremely late hour, I was stuck staying there.

After a very long and hot day of riding, we arrived at this Comfort Inn at 12:30 a.m. Samara greeted us at the front desk. I should have taken a hint from the condition of the lobby and comp breakfast area, both of which were disgustingly dirty, but we were tired from a hot day of riding and it was very late. I just wanted to do what the ad on the front desk read, “Pamper Yourself With A Jacuzzi suites.” Sadly, I spent the night fully clothed and atop my own beach towels.

The front desk clerk, Samara, was friendly, I will give her credit for that, but she was def not efficient. We checked in and she took me to Room 108. At first look, I noticed there was sludge in the Jacuzzi and burn holes on the outside of the comforter. I immediately told Samara and she moved us to the other Jacuzzi suite, Room 120. I did a quick inspection because I was tired. I saw no sludge in the Jacuzzi and there were no burn holes on the outside of the comforter, but I should have taken a better look, with my glasses on. I okayed the room and Samara went off her merry way, leaving all the lights on and the door open from the original room 108. Since the books had me down as staying in room 108. I closed the door and turned off the lights.

After the hubbie unloaded the bike, I turned all the lights on and noticed that this was a truly disgusting room. No, there were no burn holes on the outside of the comforter, like the first room, but there were several on the inside of the comforter and on the sheets. There were also burn holes on the drapes. The room looked like the corners had not been vacuumed in ages, or that noone had ever bothered to lift something and vacuum beneath it. The microwave/fridge had age old scum on the outside of the attachment that locked the micro to the fridge. Never encountered this kind of locking device, but I guess since the room was missing an alarm clock, theft was a previous issue. Additionally, the inside of the fridge and microwave were filthy, but the worst was yet to come. I went into the bathroom and found a dirty towel behind the door and a tub with a six inch ring of scum, that could have easily been removed with a scrub brush and bleach, around the tub. I thought I was going to puke. Obviously, someone had just used this room. I called the front desk and there was no answer. We were tired and needed sleep. Riding to find another hotel would have been dangerous. So, reluctantly we stayed. I soaked in the Jacuzzi with my bathing suit on and never touched the shower/bathtub. I slept fully clothed on top of beach towels we brought along. It was a restless night of sleep for both of us.

In the morning, I knew better from checking out the comp breakfast area, but I was starving and went in to grab a few danish. The room was filthy and not maintained during its dining time. The cereal dispenser had its contents spread all over the counters, lids on the danish server were not repaired from the haphazard use of scotch taped attempt. None of the tables had been wiped from its previous diners. I am shocked that I did not see roaches or vermin. I did see many flying bugs. They were not fruit flies because the only piece of fruit available was a rotten apple. Fortunately, the danish looked like it had been previously packaged(Mrs.Freshleys), so I I reluctantly grabbed two to hold us over until we found an adequate place to eat. We loaded up the bike and I went to check out. Boy, was that a treat.

Check out was really interesting. Knowing one gets more flies with honey, than with vinegar, I told the young man at the front desk, who was not wearing a name tag, of the conditions of the room. He explained that they were in the process of repainting. I told him repainting was not the problem, dirt and burn holes were. His exact words were, “Well you know it is a smoking room.” I replied that I smoked in my own home and I did not live like with the conditions I found in that room. He never once even offered an apology of any sort. I think I would have taken it all a little better, if he had simply acknowledged my complaints with an apology. Failure to do so added insult to injury at a cost of $112 per night, not including tax.

As we were re-packing the bike, I had the opportunity to observe how a room is cleaned at this place. It took housekeeping exactly 8 minutes to do a room. The vacuum was on for four of those minutes. It is easy to see why my room was so dirty. Oh...and if you are looking for that outdoor pool, it is completely nasty.

In sum, this place was disgusting and has the distinct honor of being the nastiest place I have ever stayed, and we have stayed many places. I have lodged a complaint with Choicehotels.com and still have not heard from the management of this Comfort Inn. Guess he is busy renting by the hour, because the room looked like the ultimate party room for the Eastern Tennessee University, just a few miles away.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank prizefromphilly
gm_tn444, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn Johnson City, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2011

The Comfort Inn of Johnson City has undergone an intense refresh makeover since this review was written in August 2008.