“A Nice Surprise”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Johnson City
Ashburn, Virginia
“A Nice Surprise”
Reviewed January 4, 2007

After our miserable Thanksgiving experience at the new AmericInn in nearby Jonesborough, TN, we would have been happy to stay anywhere else. We chose the Comfort Suites for it's close proximity to I-26 and for being one exit down from the Jonesborough exit (making it easy to visit our family members there).

What a nice surprise the Comfort Suites was! We had the standard king suite with the partial dividing wall. The room's architecture and design was very attractive. The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in (even compared to the upscale chains). We appreciated that management doesn't try to nickle and dime their guests by charging for internet. Free internet is always a plus! And the room rate was very affordable. You might be able to get a cheaper rate if you book directly through the Comfort Suites website. I normally doublecheck with Orbitz/Travelocity/Expedia, but the hotel site beat their prices. You will also have a greater selection of room layouts through the hotel website.

I have two minor cons about the hotel. The breakfast bar was nearly wiped out when I went down about 9AM. It was a holiday, not a workday, so I didn't think that was unreasonably late. They do have make-your-own Belgian waffles, so that made my hubby happy at least. Some bagels and/or cereal would be appreciated (unless I was just too late to get any).

The second minor drawback is having a room on the side facing Logan's Roadhouse. They left the music on through their outdoor speakers all night, and we could hear it very clearly in the room. Be sure to ask for a room on the other side of the building. Also be sure to ask for a room away from the 1st floor side entrance. If not, you'll be hearing guests returning during the wee hours of the night.

All in all, I was happy with the stay and I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — The comfortable bed!
  • Disliked — The breakfast bar could use some more options
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Care824
GeneralManagerTN264, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, November 20, 2008
Thank you so much for your comments on Trip Advisor. We always welcome them! I want you to know that I was actually the Director of Sales during that time frame, however I have been the General Manager since March 2007. The Logan's issue has been resolved at this point and you were certainly not the only to have complaint about it. They are happy to comply with my requests now. As far as breakfast goes I am not certain whether you were here on the weekday or weekend, but during the week breakfast is over at 9am and the weekend is 10am, however I have my staff keep things stocked until breakfast is over so that should never be a problem again. We hope you will look to us in the future for accommodations while in Johnson City! Thanks again.

Tammy Havens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 26, 2006

When we booked our room we were told we would get a king size suite which included a sofa-sleeper. What we ended up in was a handicapped room with a chair that looked like it was pulled off a garbage truck before it got to the dump. The bed was the most uncomfortable one I've ever slept in, bar none. The bathroomn, well, gimme a break! The towel rack was over the toilet and so close to it that the towels hung over the back of the tank. There was nowhere else to hang towels so when you took a shower you had to walk 6 feet to get to them. The vanity was so small only one of us could use it at a time. The "closet" was an abbreviated coat rack stuck to the wall in one corner. No cupboard or doors - just hanging right out there! Room was very small. The mattress was obviously very old and extremely uneven. They had added a thick foam cover to try to mask the problem, but it only made it worse. We did finally talk to the manager (Dieter, I think it was) and he promised a room change. During the conversation he said it was nice we were getting a better room, but that meant someone else was going to have to stay in ours. Well, as I said at the start of this review we were told a king suite. If he can't manage his rooms it's his problem, not ours. We were standing next to the promised room and a cleaner was working across the hall, so we decided to wait in our "room" until it was done. Three hours later we were still waiting. Apparently the person that checks the rooms after cleaning didn't feel like looking at it. Nice way to spend a day of vacation! We saw the manager again and told him we were not impressed either with the room or the service and he promised to compensate us. He didn't, which is exactly what I expected of him. We called the hotel we were staying at in Asheville, got in a day early and left this hotel ASAP. My advice - do not believe anything you are told by employees at this hotel; we were lied to at every step.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Munich, Germany
Reviewed June 12, 2006

From the moment I drove into the parking lot, it was obvious that there is a great deal of pride at this hotel. It was clean, and well kept. Upon check-in, the staff was at their best both personally and professionally. Extremely helpul staff. After receiving a plethora of information about the hotel and the many sites-to-see, we went to our room and found the same cleanliness as we were led to expect. Again, there was a feeling of pride even when the housekeepers said "Hello and Welcome !!". This was unexpected. They must have a great training program because I've never heard a peep from housekeepers at any other hotels. The room was very spacious and very, very clean. I will highly recommend this hotel to all of my business associates. I have stayed at higher priced hotels in Johnson City, but you get more value for your money here. Cleanliness, professionalism, courtesy and lots of it......PRICELESS. I must digress, I have stayed here earlier this year, but I dont remember it being this nice. Management change? I'll find out when I come back next time.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank Eindeutscher
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about our property. We hope that you will allow us to continue accommodating you during your future travels!

Ohio
Reviewed October 20, 2005

The prior reviews were on target. On the upside, the room and common areas were clean, the desk staff helpful, and the room spacious as far as this sort of room goes. On the downside, the included continental breakfast was not up to the standards of similar properties; choices were limited and necessary items were not restocked as needed. All in all, though, I would recommend it.

• Stayed October 2005
1 Thank JJTOH
Hiawassee, Georgia
Reviewed September 3, 2005

Great Motel. Very Clean. Very quite. Rooms look new. Free breakfast. Very highly recommended. Tried Doubletree but it was very dirty. No comparison. Comfort Suites is the place to stay in Johnson City. 2nd time staying here. Both stays were great.

• Stayed September 2005
I wanted to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I know it was in 2005, but I feel it necessary to let you know it was appreciated and we hope you allow us to accommodate you in your future travels!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 26, 2005

This hotel is by far the best place to stay in Johnson City. It has all the comforts of the larger hotels but is very reasonably priced and feels much more like home. The rooms are very large in comparison to all others I've seen in Johnson City and probably the cleanest I've seen anywhere. The staff are super friendly and usually know you by name (especially Wilma who works during the week). There are several restraunts nearby and even a Wal-Mart across the street to pick up anything you might have forgotten. The hotel has a deal with the large health club next door so all hotel guests have FREE access to the entire health club and all its services--great feature.

• Stayed May 2005