You added BEST WESTERN Johnson City Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Johnson City Hotel & Conference Center
GreenLeadersBronze level
Newport, North Carolina
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We stayed at this hotel early July 2014. They were not prepared for the busy weekend they had booked. The room was clean, but had no wash clothes and the free wifi connection was terrible. I gave up on even trying to use the wifi during our stay. Most breakfast items were slow to be replenished and tables were not wiped cleaned after each guest. Upon check out my receipt did not show my travel rewards discount and when I asked the desk clerk, he said it would show up on my credit card statement. They had kept my rewards printout so I had nothing to show for it. When I asked for something in writing to show my discount he became irritated and began to throw papers around on the desk. Hummm....Sorry, but it's not my fault you forgot to deduct my $50. My family will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Turkish first
Mooresville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

This hotel is a bit warn and could use some updating for sure but I think it would have been adequate for a stop over if our room didn't stink so bad. We arrived late and were told that the only room left available was a smoking room. The smoking rooms are on the top floor of the older "motel" type building way in the back of the property. Our room smelled really bad so I asked for some Lysol spray and was told that the front desk didn't have access to the cleaning closet in the evenings. Also the AC unit in the wall made a loud noise every time the air kicked on and off. Not much sleep that night.

Room Tip: Make sure they will give you a room in the main building and not in the back motel unit. The main bu...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

The room we asked for was designated as non-smoking but people had clearly smoke in it - and not recent smoke; The free wifi is overused. It took me 20 minutes to get onto a busy network; the breakfast was not good. The room was too small and the food was below mediocre. I would not recommend this place.

Room Tip: Stay away from the bar. There was a lot of noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
4 Thank USATravelDC
Alexandria VA, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We were on a trip from Asheville NC back to the DC area. This hotel gave us good value and a friendly welcome even though we pulled in very late at night. Nice room, nice amenities, and a good range of breakfast choices. Since we had gotten in we requested a late check out which was much appreciated. The room was quiet and the beds very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I booked reservations on independence day for this hotel. We drove 70 miles through the mountains at night. We arrived tired and exhausted at 2:30 am to discover that the hotel had let our room to a passing traveler.

They seemed to not care that they were throwing an American family to the kerb on the 4th of July, and that a 2 year old was cast out into the night because of their greed. We got onto best westerns central reservation people but the hotel refused to comment on why they had decided to let a families room go to someone else when it has been legally booked until checkout..

Do not stay here unless you do not care that your reservation means nothing to these people. I can only surmise that they do not like Americans to have thrown a 2 year old out into the street at 2:30 am.

2 Thank millenniumtoday
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Where do I begin?

On the evening of the 4th of July, we made the sad mistake of not booking a hotel in advance. We were in the Asheville, NC, area and found ourselves without a room for the night following the fireworks.We drove around for about two hours looking for somewhere to stay. Finally, we threw in the towel and called Best Western.

The BW reservationist was very kind. He told us that he had found 2 properties within 75 miles of where we were. It was near midnight, and our 2-year-old was sleeping in the back of the car. We were desperate. We took the booking for Johnson City, TN, punched the address into GPS, and started driving before the reservation was even completed. The reservationist sent the confirmation email to me twice, just in case, and warned me that it was too late to cancel and asked me if I accepted those T&C. I did.

Almost two hours later, after driving in the pitch dark through the mountains, we arrived at the hotel. We were exhausted. We shlepped the luggage into the hotel, with my 2-year-old sleeping, slumped over my shoulder.

The desk clerk looked astonished at our arrival. He, then, told us that he had no reservation for anyone and no available rooms. He didn't even want to see our confirmation. He went on to tell us that he had been on since midnight and that no reservations had come in since he started and that all rooms had been claimed by the time he started. He sent us down to the Motel 6 down the road, which was absolutely DISGUSTING!

I was fuming. I called Best Western Customer Care in the morning, who opened a file. They looked into the reservation and found that it had been cancelled. They called the hotel and were told that the HOTEL had cancelled the reservation and given the room to another family, which means that the desk clerk stood there and lied to our faces. The hotel was meant to respond to the file within 2 calendar days, which is did not. It was given an additional 2 business days to respond, which it did not, and was charged by the corporation $95 for not having responded. Finally, Best Western Customer Care gave me the hotel phone number, told me to call and speak to the manager, and considered the file closed.

I spoke to the manager and general manager, who both told me that it is part of their auditing process to clear any no-shows after midnight. The problem was that we booked the room at 11:58:13 EDT, which means that the maintained the reservation for a whole minute and 47 seconds before giving it away. We were en route, and no one contacted us. The general manager contended that they were in the right, even though the law states otherwise. She even went so far to say that they had done us some sort of favour by not charging my credit card for being a no-show.

I called back BW CC, who told me that the file had been closed because they had giving me the phone number, blah, blah, blah. I asked to speak to a manager, and was transferred to a supervisor, who was much more sensible. He asked for our Motel 6 bill, because the law states that they need to pay for the first night of a same-class room (which Motel 6 is NOT) for their error in cancellation. After two days, the hotel again did not respond. I called BW CC again, who agreed to pay the bill out of the corporate pocket. No additional compensation. No apology from the hotel. Nothing other than an additional 150 miles on our odometer, two hours of our time on the road, a week and a half of phone calls and frustration.

We have had excellent experiences with other BW properties. Unfortunately, this experience of utter lack of professionalism on the part of the franchisee and BW corporate not making any good faith effort to maintain us as customers just lost them a couple of customers.

4 Thank CityOfBigShoulders
Woodlawn, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My daughter had orientation at ETSU so we booked a room here. We loved it ! Great price and the room was very clean. The breakfast was very filling and plentiful. Katie at the front desk was awesome and very helpful in getting us the extra towels we needed for everyone. We will definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Heather G