“not as expected”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Montague, New Jersey
“not as expected”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This was 2 building that were far from the main desk. They had a large number of rooms, not sure how many but only 2 handicap accessible rooms. I had booked my stay 2 months in advance for a wedding and asked for a couple of requests prior to check in after booking. When I called the hotel after booking my stay and needed a handicap room they told me to call a few days before to ask for a handicap room, when I called 4 days to check, in all 2 of their handicap rooms were already booked. We were in town for a wedding, and I also booked rooms for 3 of my sisters with their families and I asked when I called for the handicap room that could we all have our rooms close to each other, and the person said "yes" they would do that, but in fact when we checked in not only were we not close but in different buildings and spread out on different floors. When we first checked in they had trouble getting the room key to work. We had to go back to the main desk 3 times to get a room key to work. At 12:30am this is not what you want to be doing. I also requested to have a room close to an entrance/exit which they did accommodate us but the 2nd day we were there the door that we were close to stopped working, you could exit the door but the card key reader to get in stopped working. We were in and out that day and luckily my son chose not to go with myself and my sisters and he was able to meet me at that door to open it from inside. As for the room it was clean, but all the drains drained very slow so as you were taking a shower the water filled the tub to my mid calf. The sink drained very slow and the toilet needed 2 flushes just to get the toilet paper to go down. We also needed a plunger because it was so slow that the toilet got stuffed up. When we called the front desk, they brought us a plunger that they had to hunt down in another building and handed it to us to plunge free ourselves. When we were checking out I told them of the problem with the plumbing and the girl at the desk just said "oh, Ok, we'll check into that". Not sorry for the inconvenience or offering us any complimentary stay at another time. On a good note the free breakfast was good and they had 2 people in the dinning room taking care of the food. The first morning they had so may guests at breakfast at the same time that they had to move them into a convention room. It was a small breakfast area for the size of the hotel.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Super8Abingdon_VA, Front Office Manager at Best Western Johnson City Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Marguerite,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I apologize for your inconvenience with your door locks. Just so you know last week we replaced all the door locks in the entire hotel with new state of the art RFID locks. As far as your rooms go i apologize we couldn't get you near your other guest. We were at 100% occupancy with wedding parties and softball teams. We always try our best to accommodate all requests. We do keep two breakfast attendants on site when we are busy and the conference room which is next door is used for overflow. We can accommodate 50 people in our breakfast room at one time. As far as your plumbing issue I sincerely apologize, and that matter will be addresses immediately. Im glad you rated us high in all other categories and hope you will come back and see us soon!

Best Western PLUS Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Turkish first
Edisto Island, South Carolina
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I freq travel to a sec home in NC and have had an ongoing allegiance to La Quinta Inn Bristol... Until we were treated extremely rudely by a front desk employee this past July... Inspite of a reservation on line our room had been given away and all left were smoking rooms in the dilapidated old section.. Don't accept these ever they are gross... Our reservation was for a king in the newer section.. The desk clerk a guy with a butter melt in his mouth southern drawl was being rude while calling me Sweetheart before every statement... Well sweetheart I'm just sorry but you're out of luck well sweetheart no well sweetheart yes well sweetheart too bad... When I left refusing the smoking down trodden room I quietly leaned over and whispered to him " and I am NOT your sweetheart!!!!"... His mouth was still open as I walked out.. What a patronizing horses rosette !
On down the road another 3O miles... We were beyond road weary by this time and on need of a good nights sleep w/o a reservation in July! Luckily we called ahead to The Best Western Plus and a very cordial front desk clerk assured is of a room! When we arrived there were refreshments in the lobby comfy sofas and several newspapers of the day to choose from! Check in was great I loved the clerk.. Personable professional and efficient.. Our room on the quiet back side upstairs was spacious clean cool and comfy! Microwave and fridge made storing our food and medication convenient. There are beautiful grounds to stroll if you desire or have your pup with you as we did , a very nice pool area , and a bar and restaurant on site. But not just any restaurant! A fabulous Thai place with delicious food.. Evidently also a local favorite.. They provide room Service if you desire from the restaurant. If you aren't into Thai food there is a good seafood place right across the road and if you are into bar food and chicks there is a Hooters within half a mile. Also an Outback a few miles away.
Though the bathrooms are a bit small the rooms are very spacious .. Lots of comfy pillows to choose from . We loved the place so much esp after the rude behavior showed us at our old standby, la Quinta Bristol , we rebooked for our return trip ten days later! The experience just as positive the room just as quiet and comfortable, the same lovely desk clerk, a beautiful African American woman I think her name was Renita or similar? So nice!! So class act!
I read some of the less than flattering reviews and I don't know which rooms they were talking abt bc ours was newly refurbished. Yes it is an older hotel that has been renovated which to me is why the rooms are so large. Ill take more space anytime! On our second stay we had a quiet interior corridor room in the bottom floor which We also liked closer to the pool and restaurant. I did notice a bit of mildew stain on the ceiling above the shower. But I can honestly say bc of all the positives of this hotel no big deal! So Mr southern gent with the patronizing "sweetheart" calling unprofessionalism back down the road at La Quinta Bristol... You probably could care less as you obviously expressed to us... But you have lost two faithful rewards members to another chain w better accommodations and certainly better personnel!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your great feedback. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Your review will be shared with our entire staff. We hope to see you soon.

Best Western PLUS Hotel
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I reserved the hotel from priceline.com with a good deal. It is well located and well organised. It has a Asian restaurant where you can eat lunch for a valuable price. I think I will also stay there on my next trips

• Stayed July 2013
Stephens City, Virginia
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Great rate and large rooms but many other factors totally override this. There are two buildings -- the back older building seems to be where commuting workers stay during the week -- doors open, picnic tables pulled up outside the doors, small grills, guys drinking and playing cards. Harmless but not something a family would feel comfortable with. The newer building has the front desk, breakfast area, and a loud bar. The front desk clerk was new and alone. She was doing an awesome job but definitely needed some assistance to handle all the people and requests. As others have said, the walls are very thin -- during the day it seemed great but come evening, wow, you can hear everything..... A wedding party was there the weekend we stayed and it was totally out of control. Yelling, fighting, screaming, running up and down the halls, door slamming, until way past 5am with no one from the hotel addressing it. We stayed for three nights and no one cleaned our rooms for two of those days. Front desk said the cleaning staff had left for the day each time we came back and called. We had to go down to the front desk for towels, etc. because there was no one available to bring anything to the rooms. If you are in the area for a few days, stay someplace else.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Summithotel, Front Office Manager at Best Western Johnson City Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review, we are glad you enjoyed the room and price, but apologize you had some other issues while you were with us. We did have a large wedding reception that night, we did shut the reception down as soon as it got to loud. Sorry you did not get Towels in your room, this issue will be addresses immediately by management. These kinds of issues are not typical for our hotel. We are rated as Ultra Clean by Best Western, and uphold a high level of cleaning standards that most hotels don't do like disinfect all rooms with an ultraviolet wand.

Next time you are in the area pleas give me a call personally to handle your reservation. We will make sure your stay is nothing but Excellent.

Front Office Manager
Best Western Plus

Travelers are raving about these Johnson City hotels

Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The walls are super thin. You will hear everything that happens in the rooms on either side of yours, including dogs that bark all night long (with no staff intervention). If you want to overpay for a poor hotel, crappy breakfast, 2 free beers, and staff who dont give a crap - this is your place. But if you want a decent hotel where you can get a decent night of sleep - go elsewhere!

Room Tip: Refuse to stay in the back section if you are allergic to animals, or do not like to listen to them...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Mac L
Dear Mac,

Thank you for your review. We apologize your stay wasn't anything but Superb. We reserve just three rooms for families with pets, sorry you must have been placed beside one of those rooms. If you would have let us known we could have moved the family with the pet. Sorry you did not enjoy our Managers reception where we serve a variety of beers, sodas, and snacks for all guest to enjoy. We will look into expanding our selection to make it even larger. We hope you chose to stay with us again in the future. Pleas give me a call personally to make your reservation and we promise a better stay.

Front Office Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Was not excited when I pulled into the parking lot, although once I stepped off the elevator and entered the room I was pleased. The room was recently renovated. Very clean, bathroom was huge and bed was comfortable. Very reasonably priced. We had a hard time getting someone to the front desk when we arrived, not sure what was going on.

Room Tip: We were in a inside room, non smoking, third floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and noticed out New Rooms! Please come back and see us soon. I will share this with our entire team.

Knoxville TN
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The decor of the hotel was nice and appeared newly renovated. The individual rooms were LARGE with nice modern decor. The staff provided good service. The breakfast buffet was typical, and kept clean. The price was great!

Trip advisor: 200 character minimum is ridiculous!
It makes me less apt to complete another survey!

Room Tip: I requested a room that was quiet. It was a quiet location, however the doors were loud as they shu...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback, It helps us know we are doing a good job. I will be sure to share your review with our entire staff. Im glad you noticed our New Rooms and deluxe hot breakfast. We hope to see you soon!!