“Needs better management”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jasper
Hales Bar & Marina Resort
LaFayette
“Needs better management”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at one of the floating cabins. We also brought our boat. We thought it would be neat to be able to tie our boat up at our front door and go out on the river and back whenever. Although, I do admitt it was convienent to be able to do this, the service was not very good at the marina. Everytime my husband went to the office/store to ask a question the young staff always acted like it was a nuisence to have to deal with him. That did not make me happy. When we got up after our first night we saw that we would have to share 1 coffee cup. I asked for a second one and was told they would take care of it....well tht never happened. When I asked again, one of the girls in the store acted somewhat annoyed and told me she couldn't get me anything but a plastic cup. I told her never mind, I had a plastic cup in the cabin. I dont think the kids working there are inconsiderent or anything...I think they just simply need some adult supervision and managemet. The place could be a wonderful vacation spot, but without the proper overseeing....I dont think they will make it much longer. Someone needs to wake up and see what a goldmine they have there and change some things. Also I have to agree on the sewer smell. I had to keep our bathroom door shut too. I really dont know that there is anything you can do about it though. Overall, I did enjoy the trip, I guess next time I will just bring my own supplies so I dont have to bother anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kimcwhite

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
deeznutz69
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2010

The rooms were clean and the service was good. I'd say this is a good vacation spot for anyone wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle in their everyday life.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2009

This resort has a lot of possibilities, but the layout is awkward and managment is totally lacking. The floating cabins are dirty and poorly equipped. Just barely above camping out. The "restaurant" is not great, and isn't even open for breakfast. Seems like it is mainly a party place for the locals. The only redeeming feature was the big water slide which was a huge hit with the kids.

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Michigan - Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2008

My husband and I reserved a floating cabin for 6 days on our way from Michigan to Florida. The facility could use a new management and maintenance team. The cabins were small but very cute and the overall housekeeping was fine. But the maintenance and hospitality left much to be desired. Maintenance: knobs and drawer fronts missing on dressers, curtain rods hanging at an angle on both sliders. Unable to close the curtains on the living room slider. Hospitality: The closest grocery store is seven miles away and the nearest restaurant, 10 miles. We went to the grocery store and stocked up but were unable to cook because there was no fry pan, no knives, one coffee cup, and no toaster. When I asked for a toaster, I was told that they didn't come with the one bedroom cabins. The pots and dishes in the cupboard were dirty because the last guest had to wash dirty pots with a dish rag. We were unable to unpack because the closet had one wire hanger. The restaurant next door, which is advertised on the resort's website was closed the three days we were there which included a Friday night.
We went to the marina office/store to get ice but of all the locals standing around drinking beer, nobody would wait on us.
My husband got a call saying that his father had passed away. When we checked out to return home, we were informed that there were no refunds. We paid $714.00 for a two night stay.
Only two of the eighteen cabins were rented so I don't think that was a problem. These people really don't get it. They should be in another line of work.

• Liked — Cabins were cute, nice view
  • Disliked — Hospitality
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Kristine L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jasper
Hampton Inn Kimball
Hampton Inn Chattanooga West/Lookout Mountain
Super 8 Kimball
Super 8 Kimball
#4 of 5 in Kimball

Been to Hales Bar & Marina Resort? Share your experiences!