“Never Again”

Ranked #2 of 3 Jackson B&B and Inns
Carksville
“Never Again”
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Very disappointing stay at Highland Place B&B Inn in Jackson, TN!

I originally booked the Butler Suite and the Louis Room for my sister-in-law and myself. A combined photography job and overnight antiquing trip. I have stayed at quite a few B&B's, this was her first time. We had to cancel our original trip due to weather and received a gift certificate for any time, any room.

Upon rescheduling, I requested the same rooms (Louis and Butler) and Bill suggested the Hamilton and Butler, since they were on the same floor. I agreed saying, "I just did not want the Adobe looking room, the Atrium."

I will just list the problems.

1. Upon arrival we were met by Bill and shown around the B&B. Right away he
introduced us to his big as real life stuffed sheep with horns...named Horny.
Immediately we were uncomfortable! No sign of Cyndi until the next morning.

2. We were told we would not be getting the Butler Suite, a problem with scheduling?
We would be staying in the Hamilton and the Atrium (the Atrium is the one I did not
want, in the basement, two floors down!)

3. All rooms are advertised as having a private bath. The Hamilton (where my sister-
in-law stayed) has a bath across a small hallway. The hallway has four doors; one to
the room, one to the bath, one to the main hall, and one to the private rooms of the
owners. Needless to say, if your bathroom is across a hallway frequented by others, it
is not private!

4. The rooms lock from the inside, there are no keys to lock your room when you leave.
We felt uncomfortable when we left our belongings to go to dinner. My sister-in-law
carried her purse with her to the bathroom...across the hall!

5. The Atrium's "sun-filled sitting room" appears to be made of Plexiglas and is at
ground level. Not exactly a safe feeling for a woman alone in the basement. There are
heavy curtains to pull to between that area and the bed.

6. I slept (if you can call it that) in the Atrium...in the basement. Bill decided to get the
dining tables set for breakfast at 10:30 PM. Every step, every chair moved was right
above my head and very noisy. At 11:00 PM I went upstairs and told him I could hear
every step he took! I was so discussed by that point that I never really got back to
sleep.

7. My sister-in-law's room faced the very noisy street; sirens and traffic kept her awake
all night long. But that was good, she was so worried about where I was staying that
she prayed for my safety every time she woke up.

8. I think the topper was when we realized the Butler suite had been given to a Doctor
and his wife from Alabama. Their good friend, who lived in Jackson, and was also f
friends with Cyndi and Bill, came in before we left. And, "darling she was so thrilled
that they could be accommodated on their quick trip!!"

9. The other room we originally booked was given to another couple traveling from
Texas to New Jersey. The best rooms went to the couples, even though we booked
them first. The cost for a room is more for a couple. They also already had our money.

Breakfast was delicious. After we ate we made a number of trips up and down to put our belongings into our vehicle. The owners were so wrapped up with the Doctor, his wife, and their friend that they did not even acknowledge our departure. We were so unhappy and felt as though we had been taken advantage of, so we didn't say good-bye.

I have had some disappointments at other B&B's, but none that have compelled me to write a formal complaint! I would never recommend this Highland Inn as a dependable place to stay...unless you have connections.

Cozette Winters

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank CozetteWinters

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Mount Airy, Maryland
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Cyn & Bill are welcoming, gracious hosts with a beautiful home that has quite a bit to offer in comfort and entertainment. We did a combo trip: son & daughter were visiting Union and I had a business meeting. Breakfast at the Highland Place is first class and certainly made an impression on my business associate.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank leonesbob
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 13, 2011

If, like me, you may be wondering if there are any special places to stay along the stretch of I-40 west of Nashville, the answer is absolutely "yes"! I stayed at Highland Place on a recent road trip to the midwest to deal with some family estate stuff. I arrived in Jackson, TN, in the midst of a summer thunderstorm a bit frazzled after a long day's drive. My host Cyn put me at ease right away and made my stay so enjoyable. The inn is lovely and my room had every amenity I needed. After a hearty breakfast looking out on a lovely summer southern garden, I felt refreshed enough to continue my road trip. The tree-lined streets of Jackson and the hospitality of Highland Place are a wonderful oasis from the bustle of Interstate 40. Trust me - try this one!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank WeekendAdventurers
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Had a wonderfully relaxing visit. The host was so gracious and accommodating. The home is beautiful and has been lovingly restored and furnished. Everything about the stay was perfect. I wish that the home could be transported into the countryside, but, alas, it is what it is----an oasis within the town.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank memphistraveller214
Halls, Tennessee
Reviewed February 23, 2011

The room was a bit smaller than imagined, but overall perfect. The food was great, and we felt very welcomed there. I felt like I was rich being waited on. We were served appetizers and wine, dinner, and breakfast. There was a very large dog there (and might I add that I am terrified of dogs) But the dog didnt bother anyone and never got in our way. Perfect retreat.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jackiel03
Portland, Maine
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Take time to enjoy the gardens. Bountiful and beautiful breakfast. Relaxing setting with fabulous art. The cherry paneled library is an extraordinary place to rest and read.

Loved our stay. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingIris
Reviewed November 22, 2010

I am originally from TN but now live in Washington state and we came to TN to get married and my mom suggested the Highland Place for our wedding night. It was perfect! We felt like we had our privacy, the place was immaculate, beautiful, and not to mention the amazing breakfast that was prepared for us very promptly when we emerged from our room the morning after! I would definitely stay here again anytime! I couldn't have thought of a more perfect place to stay for our wedding night!

• Stayed November 2010