Very disappointing stay at Highland Place B&B Inn in Jackson, TN!
I originally booked the Butler Suite and the Louis Room for my sister-in-law and myself. A combined photography job and overnight antiquing trip. I have stayed at quite a few B&B's, this was her first time. We had to cancel our original trip due to weather and received a gift certificate for any time, any room.
Upon rescheduling, I requested the same rooms (Louis and Butler) and Bill suggested the Hamilton and Butler, since they were on the same floor. I agreed saying, "I just did not want the Adobe looking room, the Atrium."
I will just list the problems.
1. Upon arrival we were met by Bill and shown around the B&B. Right away he
introduced us to his big as real life stuffed sheep with horns...named Horny.
Immediately we were uncomfortable! No sign of Cyndi until the next morning.
2. We were told we would not be getting the Butler Suite, a problem with scheduling?
We would be staying in the Hamilton and the Atrium (the Atrium is the one I did not
want, in the basement, two floors down!)
3. All rooms are advertised as having a private bath. The Hamilton (where my sister-
in-law stayed) has a bath across a small hallway. The hallway has four doors; one to
the room, one to the bath, one to the main hall, and one to the private rooms of the
owners. Needless to say, if your bathroom is across a hallway frequented by others, it
is not private!
4. The rooms lock from the inside, there are no keys to lock your room when you leave.
We felt uncomfortable when we left our belongings to go to dinner. My sister-in-law
carried her purse with her to the bathroom...across the hall!
5. The Atrium's "sun-filled sitting room" appears to be made of Plexiglas and is at
ground level. Not exactly a safe feeling for a woman alone in the basement. There are
heavy curtains to pull to between that area and the bed.
6. I slept (if you can call it that) in the Atrium...in the basement. Bill decided to get the
dining tables set for breakfast at 10:30 PM. Every step, every chair moved was right
above my head and very noisy. At 11:00 PM I went upstairs and told him I could hear
every step he took! I was so discussed by that point that I never really got back to
7. My sister-in-law's room faced the very noisy street; sirens and traffic kept her awake
all night long. But that was good, she was so worried about where I was staying that
she prayed for my safety every time she woke up.
8. I think the topper was when we realized the Butler suite had been given to a Doctor
and his wife from Alabama. Their good friend, who lived in Jackson, and was also f
friends with Cyndi and Bill, came in before we left. And, "darling she was so thrilled
that they could be accommodated on their quick trip!!"
9. The other room we originally booked was given to another couple traveling from
Texas to New Jersey. The best rooms went to the couples, even though we booked
them first. The cost for a room is more for a couple. They also already had our money.
Breakfast was delicious. After we ate we made a number of trips up and down to put our belongings into our vehicle. The owners were so wrapped up with the Doctor, his wife, and their friend that they did not even acknowledge our departure. We were so unhappy and felt as though we had been taken advantage of, so we didn't say good-bye.
I have had some disappointments at other B&B's, but none that have compelled me to write a formal complaint! I would never recommend this Highland Inn as a dependable place to stay...unless you have connections.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beautiful, 105 year old mansion completely cared for providing very comfortable accommodtions in mid-town Jackson. Single rates also available ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Highland Place Bed and Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.