“The old gray mare ain't what she used to be...”

Brooks Shaw's Old Country Store
Ranked #6 of 242 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Takeout
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

I remember when this place was THE place to go and be seen and it was out on Airways.
The last two times at this establishment were very disappointing. The floors are filthy, the tables are not being kept clean and the food is not good. The place is down right Nasty. Sadly, we will not return here anymore but will take our dollars elsewhere.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I love how all of the reviews calling the Old Country Store 'real country cooking' and such are written by people who don't live in the South.

Anyway, on to my very brief review: It's not very good. It's definitely nothing like my grandmother or mother made. Maybe if your grandmother's last name is 'Sysco,' then it will seem like 'home-cooking' to you. It's not 'real country cooking' unless you think 'real' is synonymous with 'canned.' If you dig fatty barbeque, chicken thighs, and dried-up beans and peas, then you'll dig the Old Country Store. For the rest of us, well, those things aren't that attractive.

By the way, when I was a kid growing up in Jackson, the line on Friday and Saturday nights would be out the door. On a recent Saturday night visit, there was no line. In fact, three of the four dining areas weren't even open. Perhaps the incredibly ridiculous $13.99 price tag for frozen and canned foods scared people away. Or perhaps the fact that you can no longer order from a menu made folks think twice. Whatever the case, it's just not a popular place for dinner anymore. Eat there, and you'll see why.

4  Thank reimaginethis
Reviewed December 16, 2012

lots of choices, well stocked buffet, black eyed peas and sweet potatoes? man o man....what a treat!

Reviewed December 12, 2012

I went to this buffet during my summer break and I thought look at this cute place...let me try it out. Then, I sat down waiting to be served. I saw the waitress rolled her eyes at me. I thought nothing of it bc maybe she might have eye issues. Then, I waited patiencely some more while she took her good old time to get served, meanwhile all the other causasian people got served. I got up to get a fork and sat right back down and an another couple seat, she went straight to them an totally ignored me. That was the last straw, I told the front desk and left crying. I was emotionally bc my grand mom just passed away. I wrote my review on google but it magically disappear. I guess with money bad review can disappear and good ones will stay forever.

2  Thank AmyApproved
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I attend a business meeting here annually. We arrive early enough to have the breakfast buffet and stay through the lunch buffet as well. There is every type of breakfast food imaginable and plenty of it. Lunch is the same. My favorite is the homemade cracklin' bread. For those not brought up in the South, this is a cross between a pancake and cornbread. Of course, they're extremely greasy, but that's what makes these things so delicious. Definitely something I would only eat once a year. The desserts are also great and just what you'd expect at a country-style restaurant: banana pudding, all kinds of fruit cobblers, and the soda fountain serves ice cream treats from the "good old days." The country store has items you just can't find anymore. This is an original, unlike the Cracker Barrel chain. I recommend stopping for a meal at the Old Country Store at least once if you're passing through Jackson, TN. It's just off I-40 and easy to get to.