“Sad to see a once reliable chain decline so badly”

Days Inn Hurricane Mills
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Hurricane Mills
Kennebunk, Maine
“Sad to see a once reliable chain decline so badly”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The room from hell: the phone didn't work, heat was inadequate, the cord for the lights between the bed was dangerously taped together, and, worst of all, the front door didn't lock (the owner the next morning said it was so cold the locks froze up. It was only 26 degrees; I'm from Maine where it was 6 degrees the night before we left, and motels didn't report widespread lock failure!)

The woman on night duty, after talking to the owner, told us a technician would be in first thing in the morning, which of course was wishful thinking.

My wife and I have stayed at Days Inns before with never a problem. I know they're independently owned, but assume some corporate oversight of the brand!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Oliver P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Hickory, North Carolina
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This place is on I-40, about an hour past Jackson and 100 miles to Nashville. We decided we couldn't make Nashville and pulled in. The room was clean, and the king bed comfortable. The non-smoking room had no indication that it had been otherwise. There was the usual refrigerator and microwave, and the breakfast with cereal, make your own toast or waffles, fruit and coffee/tea. There was no interstate noise from our room. Food choices are limited: Subway, McDonald's, The Log Cabin and an Arby's.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thea2
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Only 2 motels in this area: Days Inn and Knights Inn, which I don't know which is worse b'c I've stayed at both of them. Upon entering the lobby at the Days Inn, I get that "smell" from foreign people just like Knight's Inn(no offense). They notice my turned up nose and turn on the ac unit. LOL My hubbs and I checked in for a five day stay, not even a full week, which I felt was too overpriced ($305.00 total with tax and dog fee) about $60.00/night. The pet fee was $25. There was a micro-fridge, but the microwave could of been cleaner. The fridge was good(after my routine disinfecting of appliances, remote, phone, door knobs and toilet seat) and they both worked fine. The beds, however, were not firm at all...not the way you would expect a decent mattress to be. My husband thought he broke one of the beds(double room) when he sat down and the mattress slipped off! He had to fix both beds to ensure we didn't "slip off" again and onto a floor where the carpet needs desperate cleaning. TV remote only works when it wants to. The wifi makes you not want to watch a movie online or play a game b'c it takes so long to load certain pages. Dead rolly polly bugs along the corners of the wall and behind the heat/ac floor unit. For someone who doesn't know what they are, it would scare the crap out of them. Stains on the inside of the bed comforters. We had to sleep with the comforters off and use our own from home. I had to clean some form of brown stain off the wall by the front door. Wall plugs and jacks are all filled up and attached to some form of cord that looks like it could be a fire hazard. If you need to plug up your own things be careful. Coffemaker...stained. Lamp shades and window shades need to be replaced. TV didn't work with my PS3. In the a.m, I placed my dirty towels outside and placed a well written note on the door stating, "Do not disturb, sleeping, leave clean linens in a bag by the door." I do this to keep my dogs from going crazy when someone knocks on the door. Obviously the housekeeping can't read because they knocked on my door anyways and the dogs went off. At 8 am to say the least. Not a good start for someone waking up with a headache. They apologized, but I still had a headache. :( Breakfast was not the best either. No decaf coffee, just straight caffeine even though the coffee was very good. The nearest town is about 30-45 minutes away (depending on which town you choose to shop) in case you need a grocery store or department store. 3 gas stations here, Pilot, BP and Shell, but be prepared to pay higher prices b'c this particular exit is a tourist exit(LORETTA LYNN...She's a well-known country singer and lives on that same road a few miles away on a ranch). I nearly choked when I seen a regular 12-pk of soft drinks were $5.99. Overall, if you're gonna be staying for a day or two(we had no choice, here on business), then you should be ok eating from Pilot or the high-end tourist restaurants across the street. You might be lucky to eat at the McDonald's in the area(if they're not reconstructing again). But if you want to stay more than a couple of days, I would go elsewhere or stock up on food and other supplies before you go there. That's why I always bring things from home(extra towels, sheets and pillow cases, toiletries, snacks, bug spray, extra batteries for the remote, bedroom slippers, air freshner, etc) because you'll never know when they'll come in handy. :)

Room Tip: Make sure you don't have any neighbors...Thin walls. Bring your own toiletries, food and other...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank crystal02241983
Lonedell, Missouri
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We found this Days Inn on the road. It was a in good location and the price was right. everything in our room worked and was clean. we didn't stay for breakfast, but there is a great place to eat right across the road named the Log Cabin. Our bed was clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: The hotel is right off of the Hwy exit. It was easy to get into and out of. We had a ground floor ro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dmarrocco53
Longview, Texas
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We arrived on saturday July 7. I wanted to go to Best Western or to the Holiday Inn... I do not expect a lot from Days Inn. We had to pay close to 70 dollars.
The room needs new spreads and someone needs to learn how to vacume the whole room. THE area under the window was littered with pcs of dry wall. It had not been vacumed in a long time. I checked the beds to be sure they did not have any pets in there.
We was ok... But the light over the sink did not come on and needs fixing. Then the toliet has a broken flush lever.. It flushes ok but it is not good.
THEY claim to charge 100 a night.. For what we paid we should have had a clean room and things should work I wanted to get on the computer and sit at the desk but when I tried to get the chair out from under the desk the seat fell off the chair and a big screw on the floor.
Had they vacumed under the desk they may have had the chance to see it was broken,
I will say the breakfast was nice to us. We had waffles and cereal. BUT I would never go there again. We was one of the lucky ones it seems.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

#1 of 1 in Centerville
Commodore Hotel Linden
Best Western Home Place Inn
Country Hearth Inn & Suites Camden
Holiday Inn Express Hurricane Mills (Waverly)

Been to Days Inn Hurricane Mills? Share your experiences!