“Left as soon as we found bed bugs!”
Review of Blue Bank Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hornbeak
Blue Bank Resort
“Left as soon as we found bed bugs!”
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

If there were negative stars, this place would earn them. We actually found bed bugs in one of the two beds! This was after killing a roach, finding a "clean" towel that was covered with bug guts, finding dead bugs on the phone receiver, cob webs in corners of the room, bug guts on the walls from where previous patrons had killed them and stains on the sheets. When we went to talk to the manager, he refused to believe we had bed bugs until we showed him. (We brought one to him.) We offered to show him our room, to show the filth, but he was not interested in seeing it. This is by far the nastiest place I have ever set foot in. We packed up and left before we even stayed one night.

• Stayed July 2013
9 Thank Msmelyr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Memphis
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The grounds at Blue Bank are very attractive. The bird life and Reelfoot Lake are spectacular. It's when you get into the cabin that things go downhill fast. Our lodging was above the laundry facility, one flight up. That little trek did not seem to stop the roaches who paid us an evening visit. The back bedroom, with twin bed, had no ventilation. So the three of us slept in the front room. It was like a studio, part kitchen and part sleeping area. There was a bunk bed with a double on the bottom and twin on top. There was also a twin daybed. The "full" kitchen lacked things like knives, so we ate dinner out. Housekeeping did not show up til after 3PM so we just exchanged towels. They left a tip envelope on the small kitchen table. I wanted to put the four roaches we killed in it. The faucets were reversed, hot was cold etc. That can be pretty dangerous. Their restaurant was average and the waiters seemed hassled, but were friendly. The fishing was great!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MissMem
Lompoc, California
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My family wanted a fishing trip and looked at this "resort", but luckily we found a wonderful lake house for rent by a local online. The only thing we lacked were souvenirs, so we stopped by Blue Bank Resort gift shop just down the road. Hardly anything was priced, and when asking the price of a hairclip, the person behind the desk said "I think it's $19.99". I kept looking through the basket and found $5.99 on another clip. He was actually going to ring up $19.99 until I corrected him. Ten minutes later I went back to look at a mug (not priced), and received "I think it's..." I asked if there was anyone to verify the price since he was wrong earlier, and the response was "well you don't have to buy anything and you can leave." When I called to complain, the manager too did not seem to care. I guess the management & employees have not changed since 2011 when others wrote reviews of rude employees.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank tessmiddleton

Travelers are raving about these Hornbeak hotels

Springfield, Tennessee
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We just stayed with Mike and family this past Memorial Day Weekend. I too, am a little sad to see the negative reveiws for Blue Bank. This is a family owned business that has been there for years and without a doubt is the best place I have stayed on Reelfoot. It is what stayng on Reelfoot is all about. It still has the fishing camp feel but much better than any I have stayed in. Sure the rooms have a little age on them but they are clean and offer the basics. A person coming to a fishing camp are probably going to fish not sat in the room all the time. The staff was great and very friendly. The person that wrote that BIlly was rude should have spent a little time to get to know him and everyone else. I live just outside Nashville and I will admit it took me a little while to slow down and get adjusted to their slower pace of life. Once I did relaxation at its best. I would recommend anyone staying here as they have a great broadwalk to sat on and relax if fishing is not your thing and the food was great. The pool is very clean and is in a perfect setting. We enjoyed it so much we went ahead and booked a room for the 4th of July weekend this year and I know that will not be our last visit. Come on down and visit with Mike and his family and relax and enjoy yourself we sure did. Hope to see you there.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cliff J
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I do think that Blue Bank is by far the best place to stay if you are going to go fishing on Reelfoot Lake and you care about the quality of the place where you are staying. However, do not think that just because it is the best place to stay it is a four or five star resort.
There are a variety of accommodations available, and I would assume that at least some of the variation in reviews of the rooms here is because of a difference in quality of the rooms. I would recommend staying in rooms 214-217, in the new building that houses the store and the restaurant. These rooms are very spacious, with two double beds, a small table with two chairs, a refrigerator, microwave, and relatively new flat-screen television. The rooms have two nice rocking chairs and a small table on the deck space in front of the room, where you can sit and watch the sun set over the lake or watch the boats coming in after a day of fishing. (If having a great view of the lake is important to you, I would definitely suggest one of these rooms.)
My primary complaint about the rooms would be that the washcloths and towels are really cheap; they are thin and a little scratchy, so if you are at all picky about linens, you will not like these. Also, the sheets are not what you would get in an upscale resort. Nor are the toiletries. Given the room price, these items should be of a better quality. (But again, I am pretty certain that these items would be the same or even worse at other places in the area.)
One thing that is especially nice is the restaurant. We have eaten at most of the restaurants in the area, and did not find any restaurant that had better food than the Blue Bank's Restaurant.

Room Tip: 214-217 for excellent views of the lake.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Fawn_7
Reagan
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Reelfoot Lake's roots in tourism come from the old fish camps,but the Blue Bank Resort has raised the bar!The boardwalk is unequaled on the lake,the "new" building is nice and fairly upscale with the bigscreen tv,billiard table,gift shop,ect...I still choose to stay in the "old" section over the lake,it's character and spacious comfort can't be found just anywhere.Fishing and hunting guides are on staff (best on the lake),boat rentals if you'd rather do it yourself,and facilities for cleaning your catch.Not an outdoorsman?Relax...the cleanlieness and comfort still make the Blue Bank the best on the lake!The lake its'self makes the region a regular location for filming outdoor TV shows and movies,and celeberties from Tommy Lee Jones to Bill Dance stay here when in the area,so look around at the other guests...maybe you'll recognise one of them!

Room Tip: The rooms over the boardwalk are old,but if you're into character dont miss one...they're qu...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeffery C
Kingsport, Tennessee
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The location is excellent - right on Reel Foot Lake. However, our room was not up to what I would have expected for the price I paid in early February. The window blinds were broken, bent and would not close. We had to hang a blanket from two nails in the wall to cover the window. This must have been a problem for a while since the nails were in just the right place for the blanket. One of the electrical outlets was partially out of the wall, the phone did not work, wi-fi is limited to one building. It was fairly clean, except for the hairs in the bed, the dead bugs smashed on the wall, and the old bar of soap sitting above the shower. Be sure to bring your own shampoo.

The restaurant was pretty nice, but only open limited hours.

The problem is the area does not appear to have any place better.

Room Tip: If you want wi-fi you better ask for a room in the main building over the lobby.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rsiggins
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hornbeak
Hampton Inn Dyersburg
#1 of 4 in Union City
Reelfoot Lake Inn
Reelfoot Lake Inn
#1 of 1 in Tiptonville

Been to Blue Bank Resort? Share your experiences!