“Not up to HIE standard”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chattanooga-Hixson
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Hixson
Reviewed May 9, 2014

This is the second time I stayed here and altough my last visit was unpleasant, the hotel has actually gotten worse. To be fair, I did not try the breakfast (may be delicious) nor did I engage with the staff with my concerns (they may have fixed everything). But the hotel overall was disappointing. The room was well below what I have come to expect from Holiday Inn Express. Was it the dirty, stained carpet? Was it the stained sheets? Was it the multiple stains on the walls? Was it th ehot water that nver really got hot? Was it the falling plaster above the bathtub? No - it was the silverfish. Just gross. The fitness room is a joke - the treadmill is very old, with paint having worn off long ago. The TV didn't work. The water cooler was bone dry. Save yourself the time - go elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
GMHeather, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chattanooga-Hixson, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

I can't even express how so very sorry we are that you had anything less then an excellent stay with us. We work hard every day to improve ourselves, to give you nothing but the best service. I have no excuses for what happened during your stay and I will not even begin to explain myself away. I can only offer you my sincere apology that you had so many issues during your time with us. I assure you that though we are human and we will make mistakes on occasion, we will take note of everything you have said in this review and make sure that we work harder to better ourselves in these areas. Thank you so much for your review and I really hope, even though I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, that you try us again. I want to make this better for you, please contact me directly if you decide to stay with us again.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

We were here is a small group. They made our group feel very welcome and everyone in the group had a great experience. It was fantastic. The staff at this hotel go above and beyond. As frequent travelers, this hotel has one of the best staff teams of any that I have been to. That is worth a lot! The parking lot is small so beware.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank K M
GMHeather, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chattanooga-Hixson, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We love to hear about how wonderful our staff is to all of our guests. We work hard at making sure you have a wonderful stay and that you feel this is your home away from home. We hope that you will come back soon and stay with us again.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

We were there in winter and the indoor heated pool is great. I feel safe here and all the employees are so helpful and nice. Free easy WiFi, good parking I couldn't ask for more. The free breakfast in the morning really saves us money. They have so many choices of breakfast food and so well stocked. Oh and remember to tip the women in the breakfast bar. They do so much and I couldn't believe how many people didn't even leave a buck for them. You are getting a free meal and the girls in the break bar are running cleaning up and keep all the food hot and full. Don't forget to leave them a tip. We will be back. Thank you for everything

Room Tip: We have the grand kids over and the suite is so great for us.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
GMHeather, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chattanooga-Hixson, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate all the wonderfully good words you had about our hotel and especially about our breakfast staff. They work hard to not just provide you with hot food but great service as well. We may not have a restaurant like our counterparts, but we sure try our best to provide that type of service to all our guests. We look forward to serving you again on any return trip that you make.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

We are long term holiday inn rewards members, having been in the highest tier multiple times due to the amount of our travel.
We made reservations as this hotel after having to come to Chattanooga to deal with a serious medical issue with a family member.
When we checked in, the small parking lot was already almost completely full. We inquired with the front desk clerk about the parking situation, and he said it wasn't or wouldn't be an issue, even after we told him we had to go to the hospital and wouldn't be back until late.
Worst case, he said, we could park under the check in canopy.
We returned at almost midnight after being at the hospital and of course, the parking lot was completely full, as was the canopy area.
My wife goes inside to figure out what to do with our car since this hotel already has our the hold on our credit card. There was literally no where to park that wasn't blocking another car or that wouldn't put our car in danger of being hit/damaged.
The front desk clerk couldn't have been more insensitive. All he would say is "I understand, I understand". He called the previous clerk and asked why he would say to someone there wouldn't be an issue, but that got us nowhere. He continued with the I understand lines for 2-3 minutes.
The hotel managers name & information was requested as well as a resolution to our issue so we could go to bed (been up 18+ hours on little sleep at this point).
This clerk could have not cared less about the parking situation at his hotel or in finding a resolution.
I began to get irritated with his lack of customer service skills and stated that we were extremely tired, we were dealing with an extremely fragile medial issue with a close family member, and we needed resolution to this issue. He had the audacity to say, I have personal issues going on too, you want to hear about those too?
In what way is this proper or in good taste? This is someone who has no business working in the hospitality industry, in customer service, or with people. He represents the holiday inn brand and does not do it well.
This complete lack of respect, this complete disregard of simple decency to people grieving, and the lack of people skills to find a resolution was absolutely amazing.
As stated in the header, the single worst hotel experience I have experienced in my 20+ years of business/personal travel.
I cannot express enough my disappointment with these 2 front desk clerks and we will never return to this property after having stayed here multiple times in the past over a 5-7 year stretch.
Buyer beware...hotel is decent, but do not expert cordial, happy, customer focused people working the front desk.

• Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank TNVols01
GMHeather, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chattanooga-Hixson, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

All I can say is that I truly apologize for your horrible stay with us and as the General Manager, I am just appalled by the behavior of my front desk staff member that treated you in such a way. Please know that this is not the norm for our hotel as you can see with previous reviews. We do all we can to make sure everyone that stays with us has a wonderful stay and I can't apologize enough that you did not get that courtesy as well. I would love to make up for this horrible over site that has occurred to you. If you would please contact me at 423-877-6464 so that I can make this up to I would greatly appreciate it. Again, please except my sincere apology. Nothing I can say can make up for what happened, but I do hope to do all I can to at least try.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

The staff is very nice. Room was very clean. Only complaint is I left my cell phone charger and called to see if anyone had turned it in and had not....pretty much my fault anyways. Other than that awesome stay,great breakfast,workout and relaxing! A bit easy to pass the road to turn in,pay attention.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review. I'm so sorry to hear that we were unable to find your charger for you. I'm happy to hear though that everything else about your stay was to your satisfaction. We are working hard at making our hotel a great place to stay. We hope that if you return to our area, you will choose us again as your hotel of choice.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

There is no typical large Holiday Inn Express sign outside and the hotel is not too wide on the doad side so you can easily drive past, as others have mentioned its between a gun range and a liquor store and opposite a Comfort Inn which is easily visible.
Breakfast was very well attended by the staff who kept refilling the buffet.
Our only real complaint was that in the morning we had an small problem with the toilet flush lever (it wasnt connected to the valve) this was reported to the front desk before 9am, when we returned at around 3pm we found the room made up and so expected that the toilet had been fixed, it hadn't. When we called the receptionist she said that she had called the maintenance guy and reported it but thought that it was unlikely he would be coming as it was a Saturday, subsequently the manager came to the room to take a look and said we would have to change rooms (which as we all know is a pain) a couple of wrenches and a pair of pliers and I could have fixed it.
The parking at the rear of the hotel was a little dark and could be a little intimidating for some.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
GMHeather, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chattanooga-Hixson, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Once again, our sincere apologies that your stay was anything less then perfect. We hope that the apology letter that we sent and the points that we awarded you were sufficient enough to help correct the less than great experience you had with us. We try our hardest to go above and beyond for all of guests, but we know that as human beings, we can not always be perfect. But the intention is there and we always learn by our mistakes and have taken steps to remedy this problem that you encountered during your stay with us. We hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again, and we hope you give us another try.

Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

The Holiday Inn Express, was comfortable and friendly. It was clear to see that service was a cornerstone of this hotel. The breakfast was hot, the Internet was fast, and the rooms were nice and clean.

My only complaint was that it was hard to find at first because the hotel does not have large signs like everyone else, but I think that that is out of there control due to electrical lines.

Stayed: October 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review. You are very right about our signage and we do apologize that we can not make our hotel more visible to our guests. We are not allowed to have a sign closer to the street like our counterparts across from us. We hope this was not too much of an inconvenience for you. I'm glad that the rest of your stay was pleasant and that our staff made you feel welcome while you were with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hixson
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chattanooga North at Highway 153
Hampton Inn Chattanooga Hixson
Hilton Garden Inn Chattanooga / Hamilton Place
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chattanooga Downtown
The Chattanoogan
The Chattanoogan
#8 of 96 in Chattanooga
Wingate by Wyndham Chattanooga

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chattanooga-Hixson? Share your experiences!