“Great Q - Frendly People - Homey Surroundings”
Review of Papa Turney's - CLOSED

Papa Turney's
Cuisines: Barbecue
Thompsons Station, TN
“Great Q - Frendly People - Homey Surroundings”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were at the lake yesterday and wanted to try something new for dinner in the area. I found Papa Turney's on Trip Advisor so we went to check it out. All the previous reviews were right on. This is a very small (aka 4 tables) place on the end of the strip stores behind the Marathon station. The smoker is our front and smells terrific. The people are very friendly and genuinely want you to enjoy your meal. The place is quaint and gives the feel of an old time kitchen. We wanted to try several different meats to experience the different flavors. The only downside, for us anyway, is the ribs are spare ribs not baby backs. They are flavorful and tender however. The brisket is excellent and the sausage has some snap and heat. The sides are all excellent. The pie is flavorful and a nice finish to the meal.

As I said this restaurant is small so if you go to eat there be prepared to wait or go during less busy hours.

• Visited March 2013

Hermitage, Tennessee, Usa
“Amazing bbq, great family”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I had read a lot of great things about Papa T's, and they did not disappoint. First, the family that runs the restaurant is so friendly, humble, and kind, I immediately was smitten with the place. Then the food turned out to be amazing too! The bbq is so tender and well-smoked, it melts in your mouth. They have the best cabbage I've tasted (sorry, granny!). And the chess pie was so sweet and yummy, it made my cheeks hurt. This is my new local place to frequent!

Cleveland, Tennessee
“Felt like I dined with family but w/o the drama”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband heard about this restaurant and wanted to try it. Even with our GPS, it was a little hard to find, but so glad we did. With only 4 tables in the restaurant we started to get our order to go, but Papa Turney and his sweet wife talked us into staying. There was live music and even Papa picked up a guitar and joined in. We were entertained for well over an hour. The owners and staff (family too I think), seemed to know everyone that walked in the door. We couldn't have been treated better if we had gone somewhere fancy and expensive. And by the way, the food was great and the ribs were some of the best I have ever had. As we were leaving Papa shook our hands and thanked us again for coming in. I mentioned that it was our 35th anniversary and he announced it asking everyone to congratulate us. Great fun! Would definitely go back.

• Visited February 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Don't be fooled by the outside!!!”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Great BBQ and Mr T is over the top welcoming! Byron is GREAT - even being from Michigan he is alright! Great food and the Mama Turneys pies are alright.

• Visited December 2012
Nashville, TN
“Best BBQ in Nashville”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

There is great BBQ in many restaurants in Nashville, indeed throughout the South. But Papa Turney's is the best BBQ I have had anywhere, seriously. This place is doing everything right. The BBQ, Beef Brisket, Chicken and all the sides are over the top delicious.The Boston Butt is to die for and it's a bargain, underpriced really. And the Hot Links with Slaw is the best hotdog I have ever had. Buy two of them. One just makes you want to have a second one. I can't describe how good it is.

The other other noticable ingredient at Papa Turney's is the courtesy and hospitality of the staff. These guys really care about what they are doing and they are thrilled to have you in their establishent. They let you know you are appreciated. You will know it. You will feel it. And you will come back for more.

• Visited October 2012