“Not up to standards”
Review of Barefoot Charlie's - CLOSED

Barefoot Charlie's
Cuisines: American, Caribbean
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Lakeside dining, located on Old Hickory Lake; indoor/outdoor dining; weekend live entertainment
Hendersonville, Tennessee
“Not up to standards”
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Wife and I visited last night having shrimp po'boy and black and bleu burger. The food was great, but service was not up to the normal standards.

1 Thank Wsm0723

Morgantown, West Virginia
“What a terrible night”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We went to Barefoot Charlie's after hearing about the charming atmosphere and outdoor dining area. We were directed to a table outside in a sandy area. Charming at first, but after a 30-minute wait the charm wore off, especially with unruly and unsupervised children running around the outdoor dining area. After finally being served, we had only begun to eat when one kid scooped up a large handful of sand and tossed it over his shoulder right onto our table and food. All 5 meals ruined. A complaint to the manager on duty was not even questioned, as they informed us that it was the owner's young relatives responsible, and they'd had prior complaints. Next time we'll drive into Goodlettsville to eat, where hopefully the owner has a better understanding on how to run a restaurant.

3 Thank postman777
Hendersonville, Tennessee
“Owner could care less!”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

With family in town dying to come back to your restaurant, we took advantage of a gorgeous night and ate out on the sand deck. From the moment we sat down, we couldn't help but notice two young, unsupervised children who ran amok during our entire visit. Aside from the beyond obnoxious screaming and yelling, they were running in between all the tables, throwing toddler chairs at each other/into the air, and even stole sand toys directly out of other children's hands while they were quietly playing in the sand.

Considering the lax environment of Barefoot Charlie's, we accepted the fact they were kids and continued to wait well over 45 minutes for our food. The kitchen was way behind, they brought us some complimentary chips and salsa for our wait and said our food would be out shortly. The children were still completely unattended by the time we received our meal. We each took no more than 2 bites before the children got into some type of argument and decided to throw a shovel full of sand at each other. We were covered, our entire table was covered, end to end, in sand. All over our dishes, all in the chip basket and all in our drinks.

I went inside and found the child's mother who was enjoying her meal while participating in trivia, with clearly no regard on how her children had been rudely acting for the past hour. I explained to her what had happened, she made her kid apologize, and I went on my way.

When I spoke to the manager on duty, Kim, she was beyond apologetic. She then also informed me the 2 children were actually the owners grandchildren, and their mother, was the owners daughter-in-law. Another waitress joined our conversation and begged I fill out a complaint form to inform the owners that something has to change. They said the children run wild and unsupervised every single time they are there, upsetting patrons and being extremely bothersome to staff. The manager asked me to leave a written complaint, including phone number, address and e-mail address.

Over 3 weeks later I have yet to receive any type of correspondence from anybody regarding the incident. If it were MY family business and MY children that were out of control and forced people to leave my establishment, I would have been beyond mortified and would have done everything in my power to rectify the situation. Had this happened in a chain restaurant, I am certain upper management would have bent over backwards to make sure the complaint was handled correctly and fully. I am sure it will be, unfortunately, quite awhile before we visit and support Barefoot Charlie's again.

3 Thank DubVeeLinz
Nashville, Tennessee
“A Great Little Place to 'Chill Out'!”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

When we just want to relax by the river and 'chill out' we like to stop by Barefoot Charlie's. Nothing fancy... sandals and sunglasses. We love their fried clams!

1 Thank Travelers-1967
Parsons, Tennessee
“It was okay”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We went there for seafood. I wasn't expecting anything from the gulf or coast, but it was not good. You can tell its prepackaged frozen food. The fried fish was rubbery... The cheese fries said that there were topped queso. They were actually topped with processed cheese product.... We did not have any burgers or steaks...so I cannot comment on them. The quantity of food is nothing to write home about, but not terrible for the price. Our waitress was very good. I can't say that its great for families. I know it has a bar, but if you are going to cater to families as well -- please do without the posters of girls with basically no clothes on next to the the dinner tables.

• Visited January 2014