“One of the trips of my life.”

Smoky Mountain Outdoors
Ranked #5 of 16 things to do in Hartford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Go rafting with the most trusted outfitter on the Pigeon River, Smoky Mountain Outdoors. The Pigeon River, located in the heart of the Smoky Mountains just a short drive from Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, TN, offers breathtaking scenery and exciting whitewater rafting thrills! This magnificent river begins in North Carolina and continues through Tennessee. Experience white water rafting in Tennessee and raft through class 3 to 4 rapids where you'll be assured of an exciting adventure at one of the best attractions in Gatlinburg TN!"Whitewater Rafting at it's Finest"
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This has been awesome, the sights are breathtaking, friendly people and the roads are terrifying but so much fun. And the cabin were staying is just flawless.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,707)
All reviews
in 45 reviews
"next year"
in 67 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Me and my nine year old son rafted the upper pigeon and had a blast. Our guide was highly skilled and once he found out how fearless my son was, he went after every big hit on every rapid he could. All the others in the boat enjoyed the experience as well. Our guide was well educated in the area as well as in safety and maneuvering. Lots of jokes and stories were told, the rush of the white water was enjoyed, and me and my son had an incredible experience.

Once our upper trip was complete, we hooked up with my wife and two younger daughters for our second half of the combo and we all rafted the lower as well. It was much tamer, but at the urging of our children and after competencies were adequately judged, our guide went out of his way to provide as much excitement for the entire family as he could. We enjoyed some smaller rapids and my kids laughed and giggled the entire trip.

I would highly recommend the Upper for any thrill seekers and highly recommend the lower as a great introduction to younger and less adventurous family members. The staff at the store front were all very friendly, the transaction was easy, there wasn't much wait time, and eerything just went very smoothly. Everyone was very safe at all times and everyone in my family thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

It's easy to forget to tip your guides since you keep your valuables in your vehicle, but make sure you tip them for their service. I forgot to tip mine, so am in the process of tracking them down and sending them some money. Each guide (the upper and lower) really went out of their way to judge our abilities and provide us with the best raft experience possible.

If you were the guide for the Curtis family on trip 3, and L2 on July 13th, shoot me an email with your contact info biffmar4@hotmail.com and we will show you our appreciation for your hard work. Otherwise, I'll track you down so either way.

Best Raft in the Smokies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Ask for Bird Man, he is awesome! He showed us a wonderful time and was extremely knowledgable!! We flipped out once and his expertise had us all back in the boat in record time!

1  Thank Justusgirls5
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had a wonderful time visiting Smokey Mountain Outdoors. We came there to specifically white water raft. We had an excellant time and plan to return this year to bring several of our friends. I would recommend this to anyone who loves the water and outdoors.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We took our two daughters (8 and 10) on the upper Pigeon River with Smoky Mountain Outdoors. I was a nervous wreck at first, thinking we should have stuck with the Lower Pigeon which is apparently very low-key and has few rapids. The beginning of the upper IS definitely choppy, but there is also plenty of smooth sailing as you go along. Darrell was our guide and he put our barely 58-pound 8-year-old in the back with him. She had a blast and wasn't scared at all. In fact, at one point he let anyone who wanted to jump into the water and swim alongside the boat. Both of our daughters jumped at the chance! Very fun time and great experience with SMO.

2  Thank pandamomium