“Excellent value all round”

Baymont Inn & Suites Goodlettsville
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Goodlettsville
Waxahachie, Texas
“Excellent value all round”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Two couples, two rooms, two nights (spaced 3 days apart; midpoint on 1000 mile road trip).

Pluses: excellent maintenance of property -- paint, cleanliness, grounds upkeep. Great air conditioning, and this area was in the midst of a brutal heat wave at the time. Rooms were clean, odorless, neat, and sink/counter was separate from the room with the bath/shower and toilet, a real help when two people are grooming simultaneously. And, the rates were great.

Surprises: small microwave and a fridge which was very welcome, as I travel with meds that need refrigeration. Also, the wifi provided excellent signals. My laptop picked up five different networks offered by this hotel, evidently distributed throughout this very large property.

Meh ...: decor, but who books these for decor? Pool -- didn't use it, but others who did seemed to be having a nice time. Breakfast bar: average.

Minues: the space for the breakfast was completely inadequate for the rooms in this property. I can't imagine them not irritating most of their guests who show up to grab a bite and are forced to ferry it back to their rooms. Also, for some bizarre reason, the spray-on shortening for the waffle maker was kept out of sight in a drawer beneath the waffle iron. On two visits in three days, we had to fetch this item out of its hiding place; and when we left it out in plain sight after using it, a hotel worker placed it BACK IN THE DRAWER out of sight, midway through the breakfast. Weird.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank William M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Pennsdale, PA
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Rm smells like a dirty clothes hamper---the place is seamy, run down.... a FIRST is using squeeze soap dispensers (w/ no containers to hold it in--squeeze it in your hand & run for the shower! A first for me). The WORST Best Western I have ever stayed in & I used to like them, tho they can range from excellent to so so--this is a new low. I think I'll inspect my next Best Western Rm before I check in, if I ever do again. Considering the party starting upstairs I suspect this will be a long night. Paying $90 for this is an outrage. The desk clerk was very nice--but he has probably never had to stay here! This will be the first time I have not left a tip for the maids.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Ohio
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I made a reservation on this one after reading other reviews for a budget room to stay in following the big July 4th festivities in Nashville. I had attempted to keep an eye out for the sign from I-65 while making my way to Nashville earlier in the day, but could not see it. I used my Tom Tom to find it, and even then, I had trouble, but did find it with just a minimum of effort.
I was checking in around midnight, and the clerk was outside, but didn't dally and was ready to assist me before I walked in the lobby. He was very personable and extremely helpful to both me and the other parties that walked in just behind me.
I have read some reviews where the parties were complaining about the rooms having outside entry. I personally have no problem with this, but this hotel does in fact have outside entry, but the locks do use key cards. I also feel obligated to point out that most of the people who stay here are people who work for a living and are required to travel. I spoke at length with the clerk about this after seeing some of the other reviews commenting on the people they saw there, and he told me the bulk of their business is corporate accounts. Most of the people I personally saw were just like myself, tired, smelly after a long day out in the heat, and a little worn around the edges from traveling. I saw absolutely nobody that I thought was a threat to my safety.
The room itself was thoroughly cleaned, and although there were some extremely minor issues with some finish work not being done - some caulk not painted, and a piece of threshold missing from the carpet where the bathroom door is, everything was great. I probably wouldn't have even noticed the finish work if I hadn't been looking at everything to write a review. The beds were clean and comfortable, and I had no issues at all with noise coming from other rooms. I had a non-smoking room, and it had no trace of any smoke residue that I could see, and no odor. The neighborhood was safe, and I felt perfectly ok with walking across the lot to the convenience store to get some pop.
I noticed on the way in, the pool was suffering from a greenish tinge. I don't know if this is a common occurrence, but as I was checking out the next morning, there was someone there to service the pool. The pool area did look well maintained, but it was green, so if you're a swimmer you may want to make note of it.
The other reason I booked this hotel is because it offered a free breakfast, with waffles, sausage gravy and biscuits, cereal, juice, coffee, and boiled eggs. I got there at 8 am, and was told breakfast was available from 6 to 9 am. As I entered, I noticed there were very few tables, and people were waiting for one to become available. I also noticed the juice dispensers were empty, a child was desperately attempting to make his own waffle, and was tearing it to shreds, and leaving the bottom portion of the waffle in the iron. The attendant was also the desk clerk, and he was doing his best to keep up with everything, but with so many people to deal with, he was having quite a time. Eventually, the child gave up, and I cleared the waffle iron, and looked for the cooking spray, only to find that they used some sort of non-oil "conditioner" to treat the waffle iron. I used it, and was worried I would have the same sort of trouble the child did, but it worked fine with just a little effort to get the waffle out. I did have issues with the biscuits, which were either cold or overcooked to the point where they were hard. Other than that though, everything about my stay was perfectly acceptable.
The service from the staff was great. The morning attendant just had trouble keeping up with the rush.
Based on my overall experience, and the value I received for a night's stay on a holiday, even with the breakfast issues, which may have been resolved had I arrived ten minutes later, I can easily recommend this hotel for the budget traveler.

Room Tip: I didn't notice an elevator, but stayed on the ground floor. All rooms face the pool, but I nev...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ThriftyBuckeye
Centerville, Ohio
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I arrived early and had no problem with checking in to the room early. The parking lot is small and we had to park in the fast food lot beside the hotel as there were no spots available. The elevators are kind of out of the way and far from some of the rooms. We were in a non-smoking room and there was no smell of smoke, the room was clean and decent sized. There are dispensers in the bath tub and in the sink area with hand soap, lotion, and shampoo. There is a microwave, a refrigerator and a coffee maker. The cord to the coffee maker is very short and when plugged in, the cord was across the sink. Not very safe to say the least. The beds are very hard and not at all comfortable.
The housekeeping staff are very persistant about getting in to the room to clean. One morning we forgot to put the Do Not Disturb sign out and the housekeeping woman came in the room at 7:50 am. and woke me up. We stayed 8 days and this was the 3rd day there so I don't know why the need to clean that early. There was also a day that housekeeping called the room at 9:00 am asking if we wanted the room cleaned that day. We were on vacation and would like to sleep in or relax a little in the morning but felt hounded by housekeeping.
The hot breakfast has biscuits and gravy, waffles, bagles, cereal and danishes. It was decent but it's only out until 9 am. (I think housekeeping wants to clean up)..Ha!Ha!
The first day I was there the pool was clean and the water clear. I swam for a couple of hours. Several other days the pool was very cloudy. The location is near several restaurants, a grocery store is across the street and Nashville is about 10 minutes away.

WI
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We booked this hotel off a "low rate, see the name of the hotel after you purchase site".. It stated three stars of which I would maybe give 1.5 stars. Upon entering the lobby, there were cigarette butts and garbage all over the ground making the hotel look run down. The second issue is there was no elevator to use for second or third floors on the left hand side of the hotel. The stairs are a bit hard hauling luggage up and down. On the way up, again there was tons of litter on the stairs and cigarette disposals over flowing. The room itself was fine, shower was clean but you can tell this hotel needs some tlc. It is centrally located near the HWY but so are many other nicer hotels. I will not be back when I do the trip again, even for the price we paid.

Room Tip: Ask for something on first floor if you have luggsge or disabled.
Apopka, Florida, United States
Reviewed June 9, 2012

My husband and I disagree on this motel. I was terrified staying here. He says it was fine. The people were mainly what scared me. I was too scared to sleep, it seemed to be the type of place where the less fortunate live. A lot of truckers as well, though I'm sure they are harmless.

It had old fashioned bed spreads that were so soiled and brown I told the kids to kick them to the ground and just use the sheets. I refused to use the shower as it was filthy and wouldn't allow the kids a shower either. The room was so tiny the 4 of us could barely move around.

I will say that the breakfast was great and the people working there were wonderful, very friendly and helpful. However be sure you have a coupon from one of the HotelCoupons magazines because otherwise this motel will run you upwards of $100 and it's not worth it. It's just a very very old property.

Room Tip: No tips at all.
1 Thank Lee A
Rowlett, Texas, USA
Reviewed June 3, 2012

The room was clean and comfortable. The price was very reasonable. I chose this property based on previous reviews. The evening staff was very friendly, pleasant, efficient and helpful. The morning staff was a bit grumpy. The wifi was easily accessible and fast enough for me to check e-mail. Breakfast must have been decent (my trip was 3 weeks long), because I don't remember any complaints. I stayed one night and would stay there again. It is a motel, not hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo