“Excellent For Tourists & Local Residents Alike”

Historic Mansker's Station Frontier Life Center
More attraction details
Owner description: This fort, built in 1779, is staffed by costumed staff who explain the history of the region's earliest settlement.
Reviewed October 27, 2013

As a resident of nearby Wilson County, I was aware of Mansker's Station, but really had no concept of its importance until I began to read Paul Clement's excellent book "Chronicles Of The Cumberland Settlements". Kasper Mankser is a fascinating character whose importance to the settlement of this region has been largely overlooked. As others have noted, this site offers individual tours by guides in period clothing who are exceptionally knowledgeable. I spent longer than planned because of their enthusiasm and willingness to answer questions. Tourists passing through will find it of interest, but I also recommend it to local residents who want to know more about the early settlement of the Nashville area.

2  Thank lightbreadman

Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is a great place to visit, especially during re-enactments. The actors wear authentic clothing and use authentic tools, etc. Be warned though that through the week there may be school groups. Moss Wright Park is next to Manskers Station and is a great place to bring the family. Both areas have festivals, classes, camping, movies, music at various times of the year. Check the Goodlettsville website for more info.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Mansker's Station is a must see. The guided tours are conducted by very knowledgeable guides dressed in period clothing. This adds to the history of the House, the Fort, and the Station. The guides bring the tour to life. The tour guides definitely enjoy their "work'. There were children on our tour and the guides involve them. This definitely kept the young ones interested. A must see to understand life on the frontier.

1  Thank Bob K
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This living museum is a tribute to the employees and volunteers that bring it to life. Located in the town of Goodlettsville, North of Nashville, it's a bit out of the way, but well worth the drive. Beginning at the reception desk/museum, you pay a nominal entrance fee and, when you're ready, are directed out of the building, over a bridge, and to the warm welcome of your first guide, normally working in the garden where they explain the growing crops and how they would have been cultivated in frontier days. Then we were passed off to the guide inside the fortified station who explained the construction and uses of all the buildings and facilities. Finally, we were escorted to a two story brick house constructed in 1787 which had been restored and furnished with period pieces. The tour was extremely interesting and informative. Having the guides in period dress added to the enjoyment.

2  Thank Paul S
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This site provides individual tours for the visitors.
I arrived and was asked if I want a tour first or the museum, I said when are the tours planned. No plan each visitor gets the tour, I was sent to meet my guide and had a very detailed tour with explanations of the site.
The museum, very small is closed between 12:30-13:00 and I fell on this after the tour. I went to eat and came back, I was sorry that I did as the museum was small and not worth the hanging about.
It is a pity that this was not explained at the start but I quite often do not understand what I am being told