“History Comes Alive”

Historic Mansker's Station Frontier Life Center
More attraction details
Owner description: This fort, built in 1779, is staffed by costumed staff who explain the history of the region's earliest settlement.
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This living museum is a tribute to the employees and volunteers that bring it to life. Located in the town of Goodlettsville, North of Nashville, it's a bit out of the way, but well worth the drive. Beginning at the reception desk/museum, you pay a nominal entrance fee and, when you're ready, are directed out of the building, over a bridge, and to the warm welcome of your first guide, normally working in the garden where they explain the growing crops and how they would have been cultivated in frontier days. Then we were passed off to the guide inside the fortified station who explained the construction and uses of all the buildings and facilities. Finally, we were escorted to a two story brick house constructed in 1787 which had been restored and furnished with period pieces. The tour was extremely interesting and informative. Having the guides in period dress added to the enjoyment.

2  Thank Paul S
There are newer reviews for Historic Mansker's Station Frontier Life Center

Reviewed June 22, 2013

This site provides individual tours for the visitors.
I arrived and was asked if I want a tour first or the museum, I said when are the tours planned. No plan each visitor gets the tour, I was sent to meet my guide and had a very detailed tour with explanations of the site.
The museum, very small is closed between 12:30-13:00 and I fell on this after the tour. I went to eat and came back, I was sorry that I did as the museum was small and not worth the hanging about.
It is a pity that this was not explained at the start but I quite often do not understand what I am being told

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Small, but very well done reconstruction, and certainly worth the time for a short detour from I-65, but perhaps Mansker Station's greatest asset is its staff. They are capable, and obviously enjoy what they do. They were even patient with (and made the time enjoyable for) our four children - ages 12 and younger.

2  Thank HoosierFamily1996
Reviewed March 14, 2013

There are some old buildings here, and some history to be learned. It's a pretty place, but it's located pretty much in town, so you don't really get the feel for the historical significance. It's average...maybe a good day outing for younger children.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Having just moved here, we wanted to get to know a little bit about Nashville's history. This tour helps you see trace Nashville's roots all the way back to the 1700's with such humble beginnings. We saw the rugged station where the early settlers forged their lives in these Tennessee hills.
Bill was an exceptional tour guide who we found very knowledgeable. Be sure you also go down the road to the Bowen Plantation House. This showed us how plantation owners lived. Of note: It had the best medical artifacts collection we've ever seen.

1  Thank Travelers-1967