“Save room for dessert”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
lansing mi
“Save room for dessert”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Two words: Coconut pie. This is a MUST try if you're anywhere near Germantown. That said, the place gets jam packed and parking is tight so you might have to walk a little. I grabbed my pie to go - they do a great job moving the take-out line quickly.

Visited March 2013

New Orleans
“Pig for the Piggy”
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

This was our third visit to the Commissary. We usually stay in Memphis on the second leg of our journey. This time we actually picked a hotel in Germantown near the Commissary so that we could arrive early for lunch (11:00). I must admit that I am not big on BBQ but the ribs that I have had on previous visits were delicious. I ordered Hot Tamales (2) with chili and cheese so I would have room for the absolutely DIVINE Lemon Ice Box Pie. The tamales were very tasty, and I would order them again. Perhaps next time I will try the Pig Sticks.

My husband had the Two Meat Combo of pulled pork shoulder and ribs with cole slaw, beans, deviled egg and roll. It was a large portion! The BBQ was savory, especially the pulled pork ( his favorite). He had to get his Lemon Ice Box Pie to go!

Lake Bluff, Illinois
“Worth the Trip”
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

While the Commissary is a bit of a drive from Memphis, it is well worth the trip. My daughters and I devoured the tamale appetizer. The pulled pork was outstanding and plentiful. I originally planned to take some home however my taste buds thought different. Just when I thought I was full I happened to see a slice of coconut cake passing by and I had to try it. It was so good that I might start out my meal with it next time. My daughter's split a banana pudding and it was delicious as well. I actually put a countdown timer on my phone of my next trip to Memphis with a picture of the Commissary. I can't wait!

Norfolk, Virginia
“Fabulous BBQ”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

The barbeque sandwich at the Commissary is the best I have ever eaten. Maybe I was hungary, but the sandwich was fabulous. I had slaw on the sandwich too. This place gets busy, so be prepared to wait at lunch time or just come a little later. You can eat at a table or just get takeout and enjoy it in your car. If the parking lot is full, you can park across the street at the church.

• Visited February 2013
“Always our first choice”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This secret gem doesn't get much publicity, which is probably a good thing because the dining room is pretty small. Great atmosphere as the place actually used to be a commissary. We frequently get carry out. Sometimes the ribs can be a little dry, but always tasty, and their sauces are top-notch which makes up for this small fault. The only cake I've tried is the caramel cake. It also was a little dry, but the frosting was out of this world. Definitely worth a trip off the beaten path.

• Visited February 2013